Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Official News: Star Wars Trilogy DVD's - Sept 21st!!!

No news on StarWars.Com yet, but there should be some soon. But Lucasfilm has officially announced that the SE versions of the OT will finally make a bow on DVD this September in a 4 disc set. I wish they would have followed the same release look as the PT, but as Lucas has said time and again there isn't as many available extras to fill a bonus disc for each film. Either way, who cares. We finally have our OT DVD's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Variety
    Force finally is with DVD
    SCOTT HETTRICK Mon Feb 9, 7:00 PM ET

(Variety) The last big franchise holdouts are finally making their DVD bows Sept. 21, when Lucasfilm and Fox release the original "Star Wars Trilogy."

"The timing is right since there is tremendous pent-up demand and DVD is now in more than 50 million households," Fox Video president Mike Dunn said.

The four-disc set is being timed to begin rebuilding interest in the "Star Wars" series in advance of next year's theatrical release of "Star Wars: Episode III."
    Jim Ward, Lucasfilm VP of marketing and distribution and exec producer of the DVD, would not comment on what kind of sneak peeks or promotional tie-in for the theatrical release of "Episode III" may accompany the DVD set.

Similar to the "Indiana Jones" set introduced last year by Paramount, the digitally restored and remastered "Star Wars" movies will be sold only as a complete four-disc set. Special-edition versions of each movie will be featured on separate discs: "Star Wars: Episode IV--- A New Hope," "Episode V --- The Empire Strikes Back" and "Episode VI --- Return of the Jedi." Fourth disc is reserved for bonus features including never-before-seen footage from the making of each film.

Pricing and bonus features are being worked out, but Ward said the collection probably will be priced about $50 (similar to the "Indiana Jones" collection), and each film will include an audio commentary by a collection of cast and crew, including George Lucas.

"Star Wars" is the biggest homevideo franchise in the world, with more than 115 million copies sold worldwide on cassette, according to Fox. The videocassette versions of the first three films, released separately and together in various incarnations from the 1980s through '97, sold more than 70 million copies worldwide.

Ward said Lucasfilm wants to refresh the memories of previous fans and introduce new ones to the story of the movies that will be directly set up by the conclusion of "Episode III."

Previous laserdisc and videocassette editions and TV programs included behind-the-scenes material, but Ward said it has yet to be determined how much of that will be repurposed on these discs. The original versions of the movies will not be included.
    Quote Originally Posted by New York Post
    LET THE FORCE BE WITH YOU ON DVD IN SEPT.
    By MICHAEL GILTZ

February 10, 2004 -- PUT down that light saber and pick up a credit card: The "Star Wars" trilogy is finally coming to DVD Sept. 21.
    Fans have long been clamoring for DVD versions of the trilogy, the last holdouts from the top 200 grossing films of all time to be scheduled for release on DVD.

"Star Wars" creator George Lucas has finally relented, after insisting the three movies wouldn't be released until the final "Star Wars" hits theaters in May 2005.

The set (details like pricing are still unavailable) will include four DVDs, with the fourth disc containing a brand-new two-hour documentary.

The DVDs, which are certain to be blockbusters, are also certain to be controversial: Despite pleas from "Star Wars" fanatics all over the world, these DVDs will not contain the original theatrical version of the movies.

Instead, the DVDs will include the much-debated versions director Lucas released in the '90s with new digital effects and plot twists that softened the character of Han Solo - even though DVD makes it easy to offer both the original and director's cut of a movie.

It's simply a matter of an artist's right, says Jim Ward, a Lucasfilm vice president and the executive producer of the set.

"We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this one."

The original "Star Wars" from 1977 is the second-highest-grossing movie of all time in the U.S. (behind "Titanic"), and all three "Star Wars" movies in the trilogy still rank in the Top 20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Reporter
    Sept. DVD bow for 'Star Wars Trilogy'
    By Brett Sporich

"Star Wars Trilogy," one of the most-requested DVD episodic film franchises, is expected to be released as a four-disc DVD box set Sept. 21, with a global rollout on DVD expected within days of the domestic release, according to Lucasfilm Ltd. and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.

The trilogy featuring the classic franchise films "Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" will be released on three DVD discs, with a fourth disc likely to hold a newly made documentary about the "Star Wars" franchise and never-before-seen footage, among several other bonus materials, said Jim Ward, Lucasfilm's vp marketing and distribution and the DVD trilogy's executive producer.

"We are currently in the process of restoring and remastering all three titles for the DVD release, so we're still working on details of the marketing strategy," Ward said. "But I believe that it is safe to say that it will receive tremendous exposure across all media."

Lucasfilm and Fox chose the September release date to maximize on holiday gift buying during the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment president Mike Dunn said.

"We sold about 17 million VHS 'Star Wars' units during two fall release periods in '95 and '97," he said. "With that in mind, we designed our release strategy to pick the best release date that had the most gentle sales curve decline on home video, and that's how we got to the September release date."

Combining huge consumer demand for the "Star Wars" franchise with being first out of the gate during the busy fourth-quarter home video market, Fox and Lucasfilm are hoping to cash in on DVD sales throughout the holidays and up until the theatrical release of "Star Wars: Episode III," which set for release nationwide May, 25, 2005, Dunn and Ward said.

Each of the three films in the "Star Wars Trilogy" has been digitally restored and remastered by THX for sound and picture quality, Ward said.

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer," Ward said. "On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the 'Star Wars' films in a fresh and fun way. We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time."

The films of the "Star Wars Trilogy" will be sold exclusively as a collection at a still-to-be-determined retail price and not separately, Fox executives said. However, retailers have been known to break up collector's DVD box sets and sell individual titles after the first month out on store shelves.
    MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 02-10-2004 at 03:00 AM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I bet you anything that, Lucas will just pump the Special Editions as is, out on DVD to fill demand, with probably just all the same making of featurettes on disc 4 taht we've already seen...meaning nothing at all new!Then after EpisdoeIII comes out he'll take the time to remaster each one, and probably release them separately and put never before seen stuff on each new release, just to milk us fans even more, just like when the Video sets came out with that whole, "one last time" promotion! I think I bought 3 different video sets in the manner of 5 years during that time. Boy did I ever fall hard! However, I always kinda looked at it as I'm donating my money to help make EpI!!!

God, I hate the official Star Wars site. I was dropping by most of the forums I'm on, and posting the news for everyone to know. And I dropped a thread in there with links to the news stories. And some a**head moderator actually closed my thread. Stating that the news isn't official. Hello, the press releases have statements from FOX and Lucasfilm about the releases. How can they act so assinine about this sort of thing.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I can't wait until 21st Sept . Hopefully the UK will get the DVD set at the same time, or, if not, the day before like Episode I and II ! I'm glad it's finaly been anounced . StarWars.com will probably update later today with more info on it, and possibly some cover art .

Thanx for the heads up JJB

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Outrage! I want both versions of the films!

I understand his rights as creator and all that, but I'm not happy about it.

Well, at least I'll have widescreen versions of the films with some 5.1 sound. That's better than no OT on dvd.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Looks like we'll be getting an Audio Commentary too

http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.shtml#23185

Hopefully there'll be one on all three movies

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Good, I'll be able to listen to Lucas and Co. defend the broadway scene out of ROTJ and that lame scene of Han and Greedo. Maybe some off chance Harrison will be included to do commentary and voice outrage over that Greedo scene! OUTRAGE!
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Well, its about time. FInally OT on DVD. I bet ya anything the original versions wont be far behind this. Probably 2008 for the anniversary(hopefully, George, please, sir...........)
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

This is delightful, but i want the SE & the OT both out on DVD. I like the SE, but the OT is much better in my opinion.

and Jar Jar don't even get into that wacky debate with me my friend; the OT are the OT and the SE are the SE; not the same thing!!!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

It's the same thing, my friend. Just one is a Special Edition of the Original Trilogy. By the way, the official site has the news up now, so enjoy.
    The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD
    February 10, 2004

The most requested films for the DVD format will finally become a reality this September as Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox present the eagerly-awaited Star Wars Trilogy for the ultimate home entertainment format. The four-disc collection will be released on September 21 in the U.S. and Canada, with international release dates following closely.

"We know how long fans have waited for this release and how much they have been looking forward to it, so everyone has been working overtime to make sure that the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD is an awesome experience," said Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing and Distribution for Lucasfilm Ltd. and the DVD collection's Executive Producer.

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi will be available in a four-disc set that includes a bonus disc filled with all-new special features -- including the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the Star Wars saga and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films. Each of the three films in the Star Wars Trilogy has been digitally restored and re-mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality.

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer. On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the Star Wars films in a fresh and fun way," Ward said. "We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time."

The films of the Star Wars Trilogy will be available exclusively as a collection and will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX. All three films are closed-captioned and subtitled in English, French and Spanish in the U.S. Internationally, sound and subtitling specifications will vary by territory.

Keep checking starwars.com over the coming months for more specific details about the content of this must-own DVD set.
    http://starwars.com/episode-iv/news/...s20040210.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks