Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vintage Style Store Displays...

With the hint of vintage style packaging we've seen i'm seriously in star wars toy bliss. I've actually been hoping Hasbro would go back to the roots for sometime now. You see my fondest memories are of my late great grandmother taking me to the local payless drugstore (which was an awsome place to get toys back in the day) and picking up such awsome toys as Jabba The Hutt Action Playset, and the Max Rebo Band.

I remember I would stay in the star wars section for a half an hour each visit checking everything out, and especially studying the fantastic store display signs. For some reason even as a child I was fascinated with store displays and toy packaging. Perhaps thats why i'm a graphic artist today?

Anyway to get to the point, I wanted to open up a discussion about the unlikely event that Hasbro produces cool vintage style store displays to go along with the original trilogy collection. If your not familiar with vintage store displays, here's a couple of the cooler ones from my era (As I was born in 1981 and therefore mainly exposed to ROTJ toys.)

http://www.toysrgus.com/images-kenst...d-figures.html
    http://www.toysrgus.com/images-kenst...tand-toys.html

Wanna check out a whole slew of store displays check out this link:

http://www.toysrgus.com/images-storedisplays.html

With that I open up the floor for discussion

I think it would be pretty sweet to see figures on displays instead of pegs. You never know what will happen.

-Matt
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

That would be great! I always loved the Vintage Toy Displays, and would love to have one of them today. Unfortunately, I don't think many of the major chains would go for it. I would love to be able to buy my figures, and then take them home and have a sweet looking cardboard display to put them in! I'll keep my fingers crossed!!!
    Star Wars : The Arcade Game (Atari 2600) World Champion

Ah the memories come flooding back..........I remember all the displays. I also remember walking into TRU or Child World or Two Guys or TSS or wherever and seeing pegs filled to the goard(sp?). Shuffling through themto find the elusive figure that was evading my grasp. To be a kid was wonderful.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    Ah the memories come flooding back..........I remember all the displays. I also remember walking into TRU or Child World or Two Guys or TSS or wherever and seeing pegs filled to the goard(sp?). Shuffling through themto find the elusive figure that was evading my grasp. To be a kid was wonderful.
    For me it was the local "Fun Town." More figures than I've ever seen. They had it all. Ahhhh. . . beautiful memories.

Theres a sporting goods store in Spokane Washington that had a huge toy section in it. It actually still does, tons of old toys, but no vintage star wars anymore. It's called White Elephant. They actually still had vintage star wars toys up into the mid 90's. And in the late 80's they had tons because the collecting craze hadn't quite caughten up yet.

I used to love going there when I was a kid. My grandparents lived in spokane, so every time we came for a visit we knew 2 things for certain. 1. Grandpa would be giving each of his grandkids 100 bucks! and 2. we'd be using that 100 bucks to buy tons of star wars toys at white elephant.

I got to go check out white elephant a few months ago when I was visiting and they actualy still had all the vintage store displays up, including a glass display case containing the vintage micro collections hoth world playset! It had a big sign on it saying not for sale. Hehe I guess they've had a lot of requests to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by jad
    I got to go check out white elephant a few months ago when I was visiting and they actualy still had all the vintage store displays up, including a glass display case containing the vintage micro collections hoth world playset! It had a big sign on it saying not for sale. Hehe I guess they've had a lot of requests to sell it.
    Sweet!!!!!!!

The best thing about the vintage line vs the current line (for several years now) is that when the SW figures finally showed up in stores, you could find them. I remember that when everything after the early bird set (which I got) came out, I was on vacation with my family in Florida. I went to TRU with my mother and there was a huge display with hundreds of carded figures, and she generously bought me one of every one they had. There were no peg warmers, and characters like the Death Star Trooper were in plentiful supply. It wasn't all Lukes and Vaders.

If only it were like that now. I remember not being able to go to the Midnight Madness when TPM came out and going the next morning when TRU opened. There was nothing. I finally found a sole Ric Olie at one of 2 Targets I hit that same morning. This was my first and only TPM figure for over a week, and I checked every day, sometimes more than once a day. I couldn't believe it.

I am not to keen on the Midnight madness things. For EP1 Iwas in NYC and that was crazy. I fought my way up through 200 people to the front, because I knew someone up there. Its the only way to get a decent jump on the figures we need to get.

Back in the day like it was said, there were NO pegwarmers what so ever. The only pegwarmers there were, was about 2 years later when you had most of the ones up there, and by then you needed the new Luke because you beat yours to death playing with him.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Not to jump off topic or anything, but I wasn't collecting when Episode 2 came out, but was there a midnight madness for that as well? Thanks

-Matt
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!