Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

The WB has cancelled Angel

The cast and crew of Angel have been given notice by the WB that this will be the last season for this show. They say they've given Whedon enough notice to wrap the show up in a fitting manner.

To put it mildly, that kind of sucks. Sure, last season wasn't so hot, but it was still better fare than most stations can put out. I've been really fond of this season thus far, though. I'm really going to miss this show.

All I watch on television now is Stargate, which itself is slumping a tad on stories lately, though they don't have many stories left to introduce the Lost City, so Stargate Atlantis can launch..

That's pretty much the only thing I watch on Warner Brothers, so that's one more channel I can do without.

Angry

My wife is a huge fan, as am I, to a somewhat lesser extent.

This really gets her, because her 2 favorite shows were Farscape and Angel! If they cancel Tru Calling she may stop watching TV all together. Well, except for the upcoming Farscape mini-series.

We were both fans of BTVS and were disappointed with the last season or two, but watched anyway. WB, probably figures the same will happen with Angel, what with Cordy dead and all.

Let's face it, it's never a good sign when they start killing main characters on a series, it means that they are desperate to hook viewers. Sure, it worked with Doyal, but that was what really developed Cordys' character. I mean, up until that point everyone was looking at her going "What the hell is she even doing on this show?".

I must admit, it's not fair that shows like Charmed stay on forever and ever, while Farscape and Angel get the boot after 4-5 seasons! Don't get me wrong, Charmed is a cute show, but it's not even in the same league as Farscape or Angel...IMO.

WB is making a mistake, they need to re-write the story arc, get 'em all out of Wolfram and Hart, and back to fighting evil. They should bring in a new character or two, or maybe an old one (Willow).

Otherwise, they should give Spike his own show and introduce a new slayer into the mix! That ought to be easy enough, considering there are hundreds...or thousands of new slayers. Like I said...I'm not a big fan of the way they played it all out at the end of BTVS.

Anyway, yeah, this sucks...big time.
    May the force be with you.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Thats not true! Thats impossible!

Im a big BTVS fan and so I liked the Angel show. This happened to BTVS during their 5th season so MAYBE UPN will pick up the show.
    See my Collection of Figures at:
    Chazz's Loose Collection
    Good Trader: InsaneJediGirl, Lowly Bantha Cleaner, Hellboy
    "If either one of these two goes Super Saiyan, I'm going home." -pinkfloyd, on the Matrix trilogy

Man this sucks. What is happening in television today?

I only watch a handful of television shows and this is one of them. I find the overall quality of most shows to be pretty average at best and really appreciate shows like Angel because they're unique. I tend to like shows that have some sort of continuity and develop characters and storylines over long periods of time. The majority of shows on TV offer storylines that conclude in under an hour and have cardboard characters that do the same things each week. What we have is a medium that isn't taking advantage of having the ability to tell stories on a weekly basis with a few exceptions like 24 and Alias. Add to this the fact that most new shows are either reality based or a clone of another successful show and it becomes really difficult to find something unique and different on. I'm sure we'll continue seeing more reality television and redundant crime dramas along the lines of CSI: New York, LAPD Blue, or Law and Order: Animal Control Unit while quality shows such as Angel, Farscape, and Firefly get the axe. I sure hope another network picks it up.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

A little OT, but Angel Season 3 DVD set was SUPPOSED to come out last Tuesday but I haven't seen it anywhere in stores. Is this decision somehow hold off Season 3 DVD sets or something?
    See my Collection of Figures at:
    Chazz's Loose Collection
    Good Trader: InsaneJediGirl, Lowly Bantha Cleaner, Hellboy
    "If either one of these two goes Super Saiyan, I'm going home." -pinkfloyd, on the Matrix trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Chazz
    This happened to BTVS during their 5th season so MAYBE UPN will pick up the show.
    Um, Chazz, The WB didn't cancel BTVS. The contract between 20th Century Fox Televsion and The WB expired, meaning that The WB had to renegotiate, but that Fox was also free to field offers from other networks. UPN offered Fox the better deal, and they took it. The WB contract with Fox for Angel was a bit tighter, with no such expiration clause. Although ratings for the show have improved this season, The WB basically just isn't interested in continuing the show--they have their upcoming Dark Shadows revamp to keep bloodsucker fans happy! But, just because The WB canceled it doesn't mean that UPN or TNT (where reruns of Angel are doing extremely well) couldn't pick up the series.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
    My wife is a huge fan, as am I, to a somewhat lesser extent.

This really gets her, because her 2 favorite shows were Farscape and Angel! If they cancel Tru Calling she may stop watching TV all together. Well, except for the upcoming Farscape mini-series.
    Bad news! TRU CALLING is truly dead after this season. Just like BIRDS OF PREY, it started strong and then nosedived.

We were both fans of BTVS and were disappointed with the last season or two, but watched anyway. WB, probably figures the same will happen with Angel, what with Cordy dead and all.

Let's face it, it's never a good sign when they start killing main characters on a series, it means that they are desperate to hook viewers. Sure, it worked with Doyal, but that was what really developed Cordy's character. I mean, up until that point everyone was looking at her going "What the hell is she even doing on this show?"
    Actually, Whedon had it planned from Day One to only have Doyle around for like half a season. Sadly, it wasn't Whedon's decision to stick Cordy in limbo and then kill her off--after saying a few negative things regarding what she thought was The WB's lack of support for ANGEL, Charisma Carpenter's contract wasn't renewed by some pretty peeved network execs.

WB is making a mistake, they need to re-write the story arc, get 'em all out of Wolfram and Hart, and back to fighting evil. They should bring in a new character or two, or maybe an old one (Willow).

Otherwise, they should give Spike his own show and introduce a new slayer into the mix! That ought to be easy enough, considering there are hundreds...or thousands of new slayers. Like I said...I'm not a big fan of the way they played it all out at the end of BTVS.
    I think Whedon is looking forward to trying his hand at something NEW once ANGEL is wrapped. There will be BTVS and ANGEL comic books, novels, action figures, computer games, ad nauseum, to keep fans fixed. Fox might even green-light the long-awaited BTVS TV-cast feature film (hell, they finally tossed enough money at THE SIMPSONS gang to get them in gear on a movie!). But, yeah, the weekly tube fix is gonna be sorely missed!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

First Buffy and now THIS! What the heck.. bring back Buffy and V:The Final Battle II
    If you love someone, set them free. - Sting
    You can't find peace, by avoiding life. - Virginia Woolf
    No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try! - Yoda

A little OT, but Angel Season 3 DVD set was SUPPOSED to come out last Tuesday but I haven't seen it anywhere in stores. Is this decision somehow hold off Season 3 DVD sets or something?
    Nope, it's out, I picked up a copy on Tuesday, though I had to hit 3 stores to find it, they sold out pretty fast! And yet WB decided to cancel.

Bad news! TRU CALLING is truly dead after this season.
    Oh man, my wife's gonna be mad!

Sadly, it wasn't Whedon's decision to stick Cordy in limbo and then kill her off--after saying a few negative things regarding what she thought was The WB's lack of support for ANGEL, Charisma Carpenter's contract wasn't renewed by some pretty peeved network execs.
    Oh, I just assumed it was because of the her baby. My wife is really the one that follows all the "behind-the-scenes stuff". She spends more time on the BTVS and Angel sites, than I spend here. Heck, she even started her own website with links to her (and her frinds') LiveJournals and the whole nine.

Anyway, with all the shows getting axed, it looks like I will be spending more time getting into cable original programing like The Shield (March 9th YEAH!!!), The New Battlestar Gallactica (Hopefully it will run a full 5 seasons or more), Nip/Tuck (if it gets picked up for a new season), and when will The Sopranos be back?

With stuff like this, it's no wonder the big networks are getting their butts kicked.
    May the force be with you.

They all seem to have a problem with critically and fan acclaimed shows especially if Joss whedon is behind them. If there isn't 'enough' fans then the show is doomed no matter how good it is. Typical. Angel wasn't finished, there had to have been plans beyond season 5 and the WB have criminally botched that up. Now this final season will have a tacked-on, out-of-the-blue ending. Wankers.