Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jabba the Hutt (Jabba's Palace)

Surprisingly, I got this the other day at target. They also had the Denizens 3-pack, but I got the Wampa instead. I had no idea Jabba and his goons were out yet, but I guess they are.

Technically, this is the first official Jabba from ROTJ (vintage version not included). We've had plenty before - a Special Edition version with Han, a TPM version with Jabba Glob (which could kind have been a ROTJ version because of his position), and another TPM version with the 2-headed announcer.

Likeness/Paint
    This is a very nice version of Jabba, it looks just like him. He's the right size, but he doesn't look like it because he's not on a dais. He has quite a lot of drool on his bottom lip, which is cool. His eyes are sculpted as part of the rest of him, unlike the 1997 version. They added a white dot to simulate a glare. They got the nostrils right this time (I think they've usually been right, but it's still good to note). However, when his tongue or pipe aren't in, his mouth looks a little odd, like Popeye or something. The color of him is correct this time for his ROTJ appearance. It's not as defined as the cardback picture, but I think it's better (less cartoony). They added peach alongside his tail and on his underside, which is a nice touch. By the way, his tail is the same as the Jabba Glob version, but new colors. And he's all one piece (unless you count the tongue).

Articulation
    Seeing as how he doesn't move much, there isn't much articulation. Arms, "waist", and that's it. He doesn't have any action feature like tail-wagging or barfing, so that's good.

Accessories
    Jabba comes with a rail, removable tongue, frog-like creature, hookah pipe, and smoke/frog-container thing. Originally, I thought the rail was small, but it's rather large. It starts with the bowl thing and goes along Jabba's body until halfway down his tail, with the slope going downward from the bowl. The pipe part is cool, it looks like there's smoke in there. The bowl comes off after you remove the pipe bowl/frog bowl from the rail, and it looks like there's water in there. The froggy thing can be held by Jabba or put in the bowl. It's weird, it has two hind frog legs and a bunch of tentacles coming out of its face. The hookah connects to the top of the bowl thing and goes into Jabba's mouth. His tongue can as well, an odd thing to have since he only uses it once to lick Leia (as I can remember).

Overall, this is a nice figure/set. It's a lot better than the sickly-looking Jabba Glob Jabba, so I suggest everyone get it. He looks cool talking to the Jabba's Palace Luke, or Boushh, or the droids and Holo Luke, and no Jabba's Palace diorama is complete without big J.

Grade: A
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I am glad that we finally got a ROTJ Jabba but think this figure could've been much better. It would've been nice if it was a new mold instead of the 98 version but I can live with that. The problem in my eyes is the paint job. The contrast between the green and tan skin is to extreme and doesn't blend like it should. The result is a Jabba that has very defined paint lines that IMO keep it from meshing well. On the cardback he has a shinier more subtle looking paint job that looks more like different shades of skin. The accessories are nice but he should've had a base similar to the vintage version because unless we get a Jabba's Palace playset we'll probably never see it produced.

Grade: C
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

I think this is the closest we will get to a Vintage Playset. The only thing it was missing is his throne. I think this figure looks great. I like the pack-ins and all. The hooka, bowl, and all. I especially like the frog in his hand.

Overall grade: B+
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Look at it this way. Now we can try to get Hasbro to make a Screen Scene with a sitting Slave Leia, a slimy C-3PO and a Saga-style Jawa (or some other Alien) and their base be Jabba's Dias so u can put this Jabba on it, .
    See my Collection of Figures at:
    Chazz's Loose Collection
    Good Trader: InsaneJediGirl, Lowly Bantha Cleaner, Hellboy
    "If either one of these two goes Super Saiyan, I'm going home." -pinkfloyd, on the Matrix trilogy

Nice review Mr. JabbaJohnL! I'm a bit jealous that you've all found this one. Been looking forward to it and I've cleared off a nice space for him on the shelf.

I think the playset idea would be the best one of them all (with Gam Guard or Jawa pack-ins, or something) but I doubt that it'd happen. Who knows though... maybe if this "vintage" style figure thing works, they'll do a few playsets also.
    plasticfetish.net

PF, they have been hitting everywhere, I mean even I found them in my area which is a shock. Mostly they have been found ayt Wal-Mart. ALso I havea thread in the Dear Hasbro section for more playsets in the OTC line. Add to it if you like.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I found mine at Target, whcih is rare since they haven't got squat in for aome good time now.
    I too love the frog, funny enough as great of a figure this is, the addition of the pipe & bowl, and railing make this item a must have. Little by little we'll get our Jabba's palace.
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine

Haha, I still have yet to find the new Jabba (my stores picked a heck of a time for a dry spell). Anyway, sounds cool! Hope its worth the wait. And who could forget the hookah "water pipe" -haha one of my favorite accessories.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

He's basically a re-detailed Jabba-Glob....

...that's one solid piece with better (but not perfect) detailing/paint job.

While it's nice that the rail/pipe is included (to make this an "Ultra" figure), I too wish Hasbro would've bit the bullet and just rehashed the throne as well.
    I like the "screen-scene" idea Silent Chazz brings up (with the "sitting" Leia). To finish off that scene, hasbro could do a new IMPROVED version of Bib Fortuna. It's been great seeing these very well done re-do's like Skiff Lando but the ole' T'wilek really needs a new sculpt.
    But we were talking Jabba here....

I found one of these...if I can land another I may attempt a paint job of my own to heighten the Hutt's look....

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    PF, they have been hitting everywhere, I mean even I found them in my area which is a shock. Mostly they have been found ayt Wal-Mart. ALso I havea thread in the Dear Hasbro section for more playsets in the OTC line. Add to it if you like.
    I'll admit, I haven't been out looking every morning lately... maybe once a week, so I'm probably losing out to our scalper tribes. Most of the Targets near me are doing (or just did) inventory, so there's nothing new out. Wal-Mart either as usual. Hoping for a Jabba this next week...

For sure, I'll post in the OTC playset thread. With all of the great OT figures that we're getting, there's never been a better time for playsets.
    plasticfetish.net