Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Make Sure You're Running Ad-Aware.

Hey gang, just wanted to pass on the word about this amazing program. Old news by now, I'm sure most of you are up to speed. If not, and you've ever felt like your PC wasn't working as fast as it used to - you need to check it out, especially if you've ever uses a file-sharing system (Napster, Kazaa).

LavasoftUSA gives it out for free - maybe the best part. Even on dial up it will only take about 5 minutes to download and less than that to install. When you run it, it scans your PC for tons of sneaky software that sites like to leave on your PC when you're surfing so they can keep tabs of your browsing and shopping. All of these extra apps running really hinder your PC. Ad-Aware gets rid of it all, speeding things up considerably.

The latest version is 6.181 or something, I just updated mine from 5.0. One scan later, the new version had found nearly 100 new pieces of crap on my PC - not a good feeling. After clearing it off, defragging my drive and rebooting, it's like running a whole new PC.

www.lavasoftUSA.com

Check it out.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

I got it after my IE started running really slow, I mean realllllly slow. It found 304 items. I also heard about this on the radio program "online tonight", an AM radio talk show where people call in their problems they are having with their computers. They recommend only Ad-Aware and Spy-bot, both of which I now have.

BTW, neither of the programs got my problem with IE fixed, so I'm currently using Netscape Navigator 7.1, which works okay, but I don't like change that much, I want to get my IE back up and running.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

IE has some pretty gaping security holes, apparently. I only use it to check my hotmail, then I close it up and use Mozilla Firebird. I'm having a little difficulty with page-load times as my system specs aren't quite up to the "recommended" level for this browser. They've released a new version called "Firefox" which I might download and try out. I'm sure that I'll experience the same lag due to my PC.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett
    I also heard about this on the radio program "online tonight", an AM radio talk show where people call in their problems they are having with their computers. They recommend only Ad-Aware and Spy-bot, both of which I now have.
    I also use both Ad-aware & Spy-bot on a regular basis, along with a program I found called 'Hijack this'.

When I have to I manually zap things from the registry, and I keep pretty good tab on my machine.
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine

Quote Originally Posted by jjreason
    Hey gang, just wanted to pass on the word about this amazing program. Old news by now, I'm sure most of you are up to speed. If not, and you've ever felt like your PC wasn't working as fast as it used to - you need to check it out, especially if you've ever uses a file-sharing system (Napster, Kazaa).

LavasoftUSA gives it out for free - maybe the best part. Even on dial up it will only take about 5 minutes to download and less than that to install. When you run it, it scans your PC for tons of sneaky software that sites like to leave on your PC when you're surfing so they can keep tabs of your browsing and shopping. All of these extra apps running really hinder your PC. Ad-Aware gets rid of it all, speeding things up considerably.

The latest version is 6.181 or something, I just updated mine from 5.0. One scan later, the new version had found nearly 100 new pieces of crap on my PC - not a good feeling. After clearing it off, defragging my drive and rebooting, it's like running a whole new PC.

www.lavasoftUSA.com

Check it out.

Thanks for the heads up, jjreason
    If you love someone, set them free. - Sting
    You can't find peace, by avoiding life. - Virginia Woolf
    No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try! - Yoda

I have a program called spysweeper. It basically does the same thing. I like it and it keeps all that junk off my computer. It will give me an alert, like a virus program if one of them things tries to sneak onto my comp.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Thanks for the reminder. I run Spybot (which is also the engine behind Ad-ware) but am not in the habit of running it frequently. I ran it again and cleaned up another 20 problems on the ol' computer.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I'm using university PC's while stuck here in the dorms and they have something called "lavasoft Ad-Ware 6" and it's pretty good about picking up ad-ware and all that jazz.

I am thinknig about the anti-virus thing though as it tells me it about viruses in my temp net files and i'm not sure if they're already on the PC or trying to get loaded. oh well.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
    I am thinknig about the anti-virus thing though as it tells me it about viruses in my temp net files and i'm not sure if they're already on the PC or trying to get loaded. oh well.

Tose viruses usually come from Kazaa. I had gotten a few of those when I downloaded some songs when i used it. Just empty your temp folder and they will be gone.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I preferred to pay and use Norton antispam with popup window and ad blocker. Sorts out your spam mail too. Excellent programme. I don't trust anything free. Nor the insistance thet it's safe. Same with antivirus software. i use Norton because it comes from Symantec who run SARC which is where al the viruses are dissected and anti virus definitions created. Every other piece of software that catches viruses uses the SARC definitions anyway so i'd rather get the def's first hand in timely fashion direct from source via the software created by the company. It's cheap software anyway. But damn efficient. Then I guess it's just one man's meat is another man's data protection system.