Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best & Wost Performances of the PT

Okay, SW fans, time to rank what you feel are the 5 best & the 5 worst performances of the PT, to date.
    the BEST:
    1. Liam Neeson. Even though I don't agree with the inclusion of his character which relegated Obi-Wan to a minor player in E1 and took away from his role in discovering and mentoring Anakin, Liam certainly delivered a great performance in that part. Although it probably wasn't intended, Liam's performance projected Qui-Gon to being the main character of E1.
    2. Ian McDiarmand. With main characters either getting killed off, or changing actors, Ian's Palpatine has been the one stable role. I think he has done a fantastic job making Palpatine's journey to the top the most interesting story of the prequels, thus far.
    3. Tem Morrison. Again, I do not like the fact that this role was put into the prequels. The greatest thing about Boba Fett was the mystery of his origins and who he really is. All of that came to a shattering end by seeing AOTC. That said, though, Temurra was the perfect actor to play this part. I thought his performance was very believable, and especially love the dialogue with Obi-Wan.
    4. Christopher Lee. I really love his role as Dooku. Lee has a very dominating screen presence which takes your mind off of the phoniness of the CG backgrounds and characters. He is able to turn the debate with the cartoons into a very believable scene. His discussion with Obi-Wan is wonderful. He finally brings some of that trash talking to the lightsaber duels, making that much better. The more I think about his role, the more I think I should have ranked him at #1.
    5. Ewan McGregor in AOTC. Didn't care for his nonperformane in E1, but he really seemed to be the only one really trying to develop their character in this movie.

and now, the WORST
    1. Natalie Portman. Can't the director at some point tell her to try breaking the monotone. Add a little inflection, raise the voice, make it look like you're not just reading the line off of a cue card. Oh, and try changing expressions, too. Maybe show some anger, fear, or something other than boredom and apathy with getting this role.
    2. Samuel Jackson. same as the above.
    3. The dude who played Ric Olie! Your job as a background character is to be forgetable. Ric Olie stood out like a sore thumb. Why did he have so many lines?!
    4. Ewan McGregor in TPM. This might have been more due to his being a minor character, but still I wish he had done something to develop his character during the course of the movie.
    5. Jake Lloyd. Yippie!!! What are midichlorians? 'nuff said.

Best:
    Ian McDiarmid 'nuff said! Pure class !
    Jake Lloyd yes... Jake Lloyd! Leave the poor kid alone. He did a million times better than any other nine year old kids could have done. And as for Yippie and midichlorians, since when did Jake write the script? I will always give Jake Lloyd the respect he deserved for his performance of Anakin in TPM !

Worst:
    Ewan McGregor Don't get me wrong, I like the dude and thinks he is superb in the PT movies, however he has nothing to act against so he delivers his worst acting performance I've seen (but still good )
    ILM I'm not going to go into a big "I hate CGI rant" (haven't done one of those in months, I might start a thread...), but all the CG characters 'over act'!

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

I wouldn't say I really dislike any of the performances in the PT but some of the actors work does suffer when delivering some of the below average dialog provided by the script.

Best:
    -Ian McDiarmid
    -Christopher Lee
    -Liam Neeson

Worst:
    -Hayden Christensen
    -Natalie Portman
    -Ralph Brown (Ric Olie)
    -Ayesha Darker (Queen Jamilla)
    -Hugh Quarshie (Captain Panaka)
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar
    Okay, SW fans, time to rank what you feel are the 5 best & the 5 worst performances of the PT, to date.
    the BEST:
    1. Liam Neeson. Even though I don't agree with the inclusion of his character which relegated Obi-Wan to a minor player in E1 and took away from his role in discovering and mentoring Anakin, Liam certainly delivered a great performance in that part. Although it probably wasn't intended, Liam's performance projected Qui-Gon to being the main character of E1.
    2. Ian McDiarmand. With main characters either getting killed off, or changing actors, Ian's Palpatine has been the one stable role. I think he has done a fantastic job making Palpatine's journey to the top the most interesting story of the prequels, thus far.
    3. Tem Morrison. Again, I do not like the fact that this role was put into the prequels. The greatest thing about Boba Fett was the mystery of his origins and who he really is. All of that came to a shattering end by seeing AOTC. That said, though, Temurra was the perfect actor to play this part. I thought his performance was very believable, and especially love the dialogue with Obi-Wan.
    4. Christopher Lee. I really love his role as Dooku. Lee has a very dominating screen presence which takes your mind off of the phoniness of the CG backgrounds and characters. He is able to turn the debate with the cartoons into a very believable scene. His discussion with Obi-Wan is wonderful. He finally brings some of that trash talking to the lightsaber duels, making that much better. The more I think about his role, the more I think I should have ranked him at #1.
    5. Ewan McGregor in AOTC. Didn't care for his nonperformane in E1, but he really seemed to be the only one really trying to develop their character in this movie.

and now, the WORST
    1. Natalie Portman. Can't the director at some point tell her to try breaking the monotone. Add a little inflection, raise the voice, make it look like you're not just reading the line off of a cue card. Oh, and try changing expressions, too. Maybe show some anger, fear, or something other than boredom and apathy with getting this role.
    2. Samuel Jackson. same as the above.
    3. The dude who played Ric Olie! Your job as a background character is to be forgetable. Ric Olie stood out like a sore thumb. Why did he have so many lines?!
    4. Ewan McGregor in TPM. This might have been more due to his being a minor character, but still I wish he had done something to develop his character during the course of the movie.
    5. Jake Lloyd. Yippie!!! What are midichlorians? 'nuff said.

I'll agree with just about all of your comments except for Liam. He was as dry and monotone as Natalie. For such a big character, it was a terribly humdrum performance. He can do better.

And yes, there are other kid actors who could have (and would have) done far better than Jake did. Eric Lloyd being one of them (at the time). Jake was a terrifically awful choice to play anything beyond a bit part. Yes, the writing for the character was terrible as well. Add that to the way that the character of early-Anakin was drawn in such bad way and it all adds up to one big mess.

My reply just vanished into the ether while I was still typing it.

If it reappears, forgive any redundancy.

The PT wasted a lot of good actors with skimpy roles and often inane dialogue. I like Ewan McGregor in just about anything, but often felt, especially in TPM, that he'd rather be anywhere else.

THE BEST:

1. IAN MCDIARMID - Makes Palpatine both sleazy and likeable, and brings a sense of dignity and fun to the role.

2. WATTO - Only Gollum rivals this CGI character. I completely bought him and thought he was one of the most fleshed out characters in the PT. His eyes during that moment of realization that he's talking to Anakin in AOTC is perfect.

3. PERNILA AUGUST - Brought much more to her role than had been provided for her. Completely wasted in AOTC.

4. NATALIE PORTMAN - Moments of flat delivery aside, Amidala remains my favorite character in the PT, so there must be something to her performance that I'm getting that others aren't.

5. CHRISTOPHER LEE - Another actor whom I almost always like. The only detriment was that he didn't have more to do.

I also liked KEIRA KNIGHTLEY, simply because everyone forgot they weren't watching Natalie Portman during her scenes. I kept thinking this poor actress is playing half the role and nobody is noticing. It makes me glad her career has taken off like a rocket.

THE WORST:

1. JAKE LLOYD - Manniken Skywalker.

2. RALPH BROWN - I didn't have a problem with him during the escape from Naboo, but his performance during the final space battle was noticibly bad.

3. WARWICK DAVIS - Over the top in Watto's box. Weird antics as a little guy trying to keep his mask on as Wald.

4. MARGARET TOWNER - Jira, the "my corns are acting up, Annie." woman. It's probably not her fault that she was given dialogue from a Ma and Pa Kettle movie.

5. DANIEL LOGAN - That "heh-heh-heh" in the asteroid belt completely unsold me on him.

BEST
    -Hayden Christensen
    -Ewan McGregor (better in AOTC)
    -Liam Neeson
    -Natalie Portman (better in AOTC)
    -Ian McDiarmid
    -Temuera Morrison

WORST
    -Jake Lloyd (sorry little buddy, I don't totally hate your performance but you do belong on my list. They should have found Hayden 3 years earlier and had him play TPM Anakin at an older age)
    -Hugh Quarshie
    -Ralph Brown
    -ANTHONY DANIELS

Christopher Lee and Ian McDiarmid are, IMO, some of the best actors in the films. So is Ewan McGregor, but not as much as them. I don't particularly hate any of the acting, except Natalie Portman in some places.

Just from your lists, here's my thoughts:

Best: Liam Neeson - He was intentionally portrayed as the main character of Ep 1 in the film and the final draft screenplay. I don't think he did all that great, it felt quite off at times.

Best: Christopher Lee - Was he acting? Seems like every role I've ever seen him in.

Best: Ewan McGregor - It came and went in both films I thought, but I would list him on my "best" list.

Worst: Natalie Portman - I thought she was pretty darn good in TPM, but awful in AOTC. She'd probably be in my best list for Ep1.

Worst: Sam Jackson - Yuppers! I think the director might be to blame for this though.

Worst: Jake Lloyd - Another one I agree on, though like Samuel L, I think it's the director who caused this, not the actor.

Worst: Hayden Christensen - Hell yeah! This one would absolutely be on my list, and I'd blame the actor, director, and casting people for it. His performance as teen-angst Anakin made me want to leave the theater.

Worst: Ayesha Darker (Queen Jamilla) - this one did stand out as one of the weaker background character performances, but she wasn't memorable enough to make my list.

Worst: Hugh Quarshie (Captain Panaka) - I would not agree with this one, I thought Quarshie played the character exactly as the screenplay felt he would be played.

Best: Watto (and his voice actor Andrew Secombe) - I would agree, but only for his TPM performance, the character's cameo in AOTC didn't cut it for me. I think his voice acting brought more depth and humanity to the character than the screenplay gave, which is the sign of a good performance.

Worst: Daniel Logan - Baby Fett stunk, I hated this character's performance so much!!! Definitely on my worst list.

An addition to my "Best" list would have to be...
    - Best: Ron Falk (aka Dexter Jettster) - I thought this character delivered a pretty good, memorable performance with CGI that fit the bill quite well.

And 2 additions to my "Worst" list would have to be...

- Worst: Jay Laga'aia (aka Captain Typho) - his opening lines in the film were so mind-numbingly awful that I hope it wasn't his best take because otherwise he's a terrible actor.

- Worst: Leanna Walsman (aka Zam Wesell) - she was awful even without the horrible, last-minute CGI additions. This performance was not just wooden, but painfully wooden, as if someone with no talent at all was trying to force the performance out of their behind or something. She didn't move or speak right, and so much of the beginning of the film pivots around her character.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

JT, how can we be polar opposites in our opinions of Hayden yet DEAD ON in our evals of Ronny Falk as Dex ?

And what did you think of Ralph Brown as Ric Olie ? I'm asking because he seems to draw much of the same fire that Quarshie does. And since you differ on Quarshie, I'd be curious to hear your view of Brown.

Aside from Ric Olie, I really like Ralph Brown: especially in Wayne's World 2

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    JT, how can we be polar opposites in our opinions of Hayden yet DEAD ON in our evals of Ronny Falk as Dex ?

I'm with JT on this one. I'd chalk the difference up to the fact that George "directed" (or didn't ) Hayden while Ronny's "performance" had a lot of help from the animators. Plus Dex's role was quick and to the point while Hayden had plenty of screentime to screw up.