Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    LOTR should be stripped of all PJ-related Oscars on account of him showing up in such a slobbish state. Button up that shirt collar buddy; you're heading on stage to accept 3 gold statues.

The Original Song category was a joke because A Mighty Wind should have had all 5 nominations.

Congrats and all that good stuff to LOTR TROTK (because it was very good ) but there's no way it was better than Mystic River.

I'm suprised he showed up in a suit at all. It's Peter Jackson, he's like Georgie. He likes to be comfortable. George has his flannel shirts. And Peter has his shorts and bare feet. He's just one of those whacky New Zealanders.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I personally think LOTR deserved all of the Oscars it received. The only shame to me is that Sean Astin wasn't nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

Personally, I thought Mystic River was an average movie. It felt like I was watching a Lifetime original, or a 2-hour episode of Law and Order. I like Robbins, and it's nice to see him get an Oscar, but Penn wasn't deerving over Murray or Depp.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    Button up that shirt collar buddy; you're heading on stage to accept 3 gold statues.
    Who are you... Mr. Blackwell?

-----

I enjoyed this third film the most out of the three. It, and the entire trilogy, are simply so much more epic than anything else up for nomination. All of the other films are either good or great in their own way, but LOTR has managed to capture something that hasn't been seen in Hollywood for a long time. It's taken that classic, long dead, Hollywood "blockbuster" idea and given it new life. The films are immensely fun to watch and they've made a ton of money. That's why they nailed so many Oscars.

And... if you don't think that LOTR deserved best Art direction, then you have no idea what an Art Director does.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Jackson does with Kong now. Especially after hearing what he said about it in a post-Oscar interview.
    plasticfetish.net

It deserved most of them, but not these:

BEST MAKEUP: X2 (not nominated)
    BEST SONG: "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow"
    BEST VISUAL EFFECTS: Hulk (not nominated) or Pirates

However, it also deserved the a Best Supporting Actor for Sean Astin. I bet he ran into Alan Cumming afterwards and they both said to each other, "Man, you were robbed!"
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm glad it won all those Oscar's also. The only one that I might question was the song. I liked the Rainbow song and the Baskervilles song also.

I just saw Cold Mountain on Sat (loved it!), and don't remember hearing one of the 2 nominated songs. I thought the more blue-grass - y songs were SOOO much better. It reminded me of the 'O Brother Where Art Thou' soundtrack.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Wow, a lot of heat in here.

It's all due to rewarding a body of work. Rarely do actors and directors nowadays get their Oscar specifically due to a single flick (OK, maybe Charlize Theron is an exception). You can argue that PJ deserved a director's nod for LOTR or TTT over ROTK, but maybe who ever won those years actually did a better job in the eyes of the Director's Guild (that categories nominating/voting body). Now since the whole trilogy was generally a critical hit the Academy felt like rewarding him and WETA and the rest of NZ. I find it curious though that they if they liked the movies that much, then why was Ian McK the only actor (I believe) to get nominated out of the whole bunch for the 3 movies?

If you don't think this makes sense, then how do you justify Denzel Washington getting an Oscar for Training Day and not for any of the other nominated roles he had, like the one when he was a boxer?
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I do not believe that the 11 awards that 'Lord' won, takes anything away from the Star Wars Sixtology... If we were to sit back and truly analyze the importance of each film, we cannot deny the importance of how it all got started.. Back in 1974-76 a visionary dude in the middle of the desert shot a film that redefined cinema.. And since has aided in the development of CGI and sound in film... WETA was just a figment of a Kiwi’s imagination, while ILM helped to recreate many visual imaginary thoughts.. Lest not forget, when you watch all of the 'Lord' films, you were aided by the technology that Lucas fostered in the movie industry.. Oh and THX does allow most of us to fully 'take in' ANY film we watch in the theatre and home.. I only can hope that when Episode 3 is released, that Lucas will be able to create a film we all can believe in, and he may finally get all the accolades he is due.
    If you love someone, set them free. - Sting
    You can't find peace, by avoiding life. - Virginia Woolf
    No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try! - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kirk
    I only can hope that when Episode 3 is released, that Lucas will be able to create a film we all can believe in, and he may finally get all the accolades he is due.
    I guarantee it'll never happen.

1) G.Lu is admittedly anti-Hollywood and anti-studio, thus the Academy isn't going to pay attention to anything put out by Lucasfilm
    2) SW already has received a best picture nomination, as well as a ton of other nominations.
    3) While many people have said that John Williams' scores are great, they are to some degree rehashes of previous movies' music. The last half of EP2 is almost 100% pulled from the EP1 score. It's no longer considered original so he's not going to be nominated for EP3.
    4)This year LOTR won. Being a fantasy film, the Academy has basically said that they will consider nontraditional genres for nomination. Now that they've proved themselves to critics they're not going to do it again anytime soon unless something gets released that blows the pants off the general public.
    5) The technology used to make the movies is to some degree old. What new stuff is he going to introduce? He doesn't have much time to get all the movies theaters to buy digital projectors. The visual effects people will look to other flicks to nominate since SW has been given their due time and time again.

While fans may end up enjoying EP3 immensely and it may turn out to be the best of the 6, other movie makers and the Academy will just yawn and think to themselves that they're glad the whole thing's over.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas