Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hasbro Hypocrites (re: Pipe text)

What is going on? In 2002 Hasbro "fixes" the Dexster Jettster figure so that the package no longer reads "pipe". And they never packed him with the pipe that he was supposed to come with. Now, just two short years later, they have no problem with cranking out thousands of Jabba the Hutts with "Hookah Pipe" printed on the side and coming with the accessory. What is going on here? This is a hypocrisy. It is clear that the Dexster stunt was a ploy to introduce a true variant figure and nothing more!
    Last edited by TheDarthVader; 03-06-2004 at 01:00 PM.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.

There is no hypocrisy about it. When the movie was in production, the character designs included a pipe. It's even in some of the very early renderings of the character. But the pipe was dropped from the character. It takes 12 months for a figure to go from planning to final product. During that time, it was discovered that the pipe was dropped from the character.

Packaging had likely either started printing, or they missed removing the mention of the pipe until it was too late. No worries though, they could easily cover the mention of the 'pipe' up with a small sticker. Instead of throwing out all the printed cards, and having to redo them. As for the accessory, it was simply not included in the final toy. The later runs of the card, had the mention of the pipe removed.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Sheesh, now I've seen it all: Dexster Jetster Pipe Conspiracy Theory!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

What next, the moon landing hoax*.

*Inside joke from another forums.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

No more pipe for Potato Head

HASBRO ruins everything......j/k of course
    Shop at the SOFA-KING Big Sofa Store

Where the sofas are SOFA-KING big!

Interesting. There was no real need to ship Jabba with the pipe, the frog bowl would have been fine, yet they chose to do so. It does kind of fly in the face of the decision by (whoever) to keep Dexter pipe-free. If Greedo can shoot first, Jabba and Boba can show up in A New Hope, and the Death Star can explode that much more vibrantly - there's no reason why Jabba can't become a non-smoker. Not that I care that much, but hearing the rationale behind the decision to include it for one but not the other would be interesting.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

I think Lucas just got too PC in the last 25 years to include a smoking frog in his Prequels.
    We still get the good old fashion arm chopping, but smoking is bad, mm'kay.
    Shop at the SOFA-KING Big Sofa Store

Where the sofas are SOFA-KING big!

Quote Originally Posted by jjreason
    Interesting. There was no real need to ship Jabba with the pipe, the frog bowl would have been fine, yet they chose to do so. It does kind of fly in the face of the decision by (whoever) to keep Dexter pipe-free. If Greedo can shoot first, Jabba and Boba can show up in A New Hope, and the Death Star can explode that much more vibrantly - there's no reason why Jabba can't become a non-smoker. Not that I care that much, but hearing the rationale behind the decision to include it for one but not the other would be interesting.
    OK, am I the only one who gets that the Dexster figure was pipe-free because Lucas decided to make the character in the film pipe-free? You never see him with a pipe in AOTC, never. So, once the pipe was eliminated in the film, it only made sense to eliminate it from the figure, too. We still see Jabba with his hookah in ROTJ, so they decided to keep it for the new Ultra Jabba, especially since they were just re-using the old molds from the Vintage Jabba Playset, anyway.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

Smoke em if ya got em, and NO Dex, you cant bum one from me.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by darthzirock
    OK, am I the only one who gets that the Dexster figure was pipe-free because Lucas decided to make the character in the film pipe-free? You never see him with a pipe in AOTC, never. So, once the pipe was eliminated in the film, it only made sense to eliminate it from the figure, too. We still see Jabba with his hookah in ROTJ, so they decided to keep it for the new Ultra Jabba, especially since they were just re-using the old molds from the Vintage Jabba Playset, anyway.
    You might not see Dexsters pipe, but you do get a glimpse of his plumbers crack! That's no moon!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!