Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Transformers Animated Movie- yuck

I watched this film for the first time in since I saw it in the theater this past week. I remember being extremely let down by the film, and I was curious if time (and the knowledge that Optimus doesn't really die) would make it cooler for me.

Alas, it was almost unwatchable. The episodes of the show were better (at least during the first 2 seasons). First, by that point in the continuity, there were a lot more transformers that didn't have any part in the flick- that was my biggest gripe. Devastator was the only one of several really big robots to make an appearance. They could have brought out all of them to take on Unicron. Also, I didn't like the fact that they were disposing of my favorite older transformers just to make room for the new toys.

Story wise, it just seemed contrived to kill off the old to make room for the new, and the individual elements just sucked. Why were the Quintessons there at the time? It was also repetitive... how many times did Glavatron think he had destroyed the Matrix only to be tortured by Unicron? Did anyone else find the Junkions incredibly annoying? And U Got the Touch is a God-awful song.

The best part of the DVD was the chapter selections- "swear word"- too funny.

If understand that this is a cult fave, so if anyone has a differing opinion discussing the merits I would be interested to hear...
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I love this movie. The only bad thing about it is the soundtrack sans Weird Al.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

The potential was there, but i think this movie suffers from a bad story. I liked the opening battle on Earth, but i was hoping that it would involve death on both sides. I thought it was lame showing the Autobots that were heading to Earth on the ship getting blasted yet no Decepticons seemed to be kicking the can. The music was bad too. The Junkions arent my favorite characters but i didnt mind them too much. I would have liked to have seen all Autobots and Decepticons fighting Unicron too. I watch it every now and then, but wouldnt list it among my faves.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

the TF movie rocks your socks off! c'mon, though... it was the 80's - what do you expect from the soundtrack? (dare to be stupid is definitely the best song in the movie.)
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Quote Originally Posted by darthvyn
    the TF movie rocks your socks off! c'mon, though... it was the 80's - what do you expect from the soundtrack? (dare to be stupid is definitely the best song in the movie.)

BUt it had that horrible song that Marky Mark sang in Boogie Nights............

You got the touch................WTF is that?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.

I love this movie. Other than Robotech, this was the only cartoon I remember watching as a kid where major characters were killed off. I really liked that they didn't pull any punches with the plot and let characters be killed. The plot was a lot better than your average TF TV plot.

The downside was the aftermath that it created. TF sucked in my opinion after the movie. I never really got into the new TF universe.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

The movie was great. The plot and animation far beat the cartoon.
    Come vote in my Best Figure thread this Preview Month.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    You got the touch................WTF is that?
    The best damn use of music in a movie ever, that's what!

What's wrong with you people? The animation is flawless, the new character designs are more creative than many of the original characters. The story is a bit clunky, but there are so many bits that make up for that.

You cried when Prime died. Admit it.

And how about the line, "Coronation Starscream? This is bad comedy!" Best. Line. Ever!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    The best damn use of music in a movie ever, that's what! Ever!
    SUrely you cant be serious, and I will callyou Shirley. I swear I pee myself every single time I hear it. That song is just downright, and utterly ridiculous. I wouldn't even line a bird cage with the sheet music to that song.

Wow- looks like mainly defenders of the movie here! About the quality of the animation... it was definitely a step up from the TV show, and the Unicron sequences were kinda cool, as well as the final fight between Prime and Megatron. But it has its chintzy moments too... The Dare to Be Stupid Dance, the miscoloring of parts of Starscream, Skywarp appearing in Hot Rod's vision, then it being Starscream...

I think it was a rush job for the most part. But hey, if folks love it, I'm all for that... I'll stick to the episodes though!!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car