Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I miss Tales from the Crypt. (Now with DVD news!)

I really do.

I wish HBO would revive the series or at least play the old episodes once in awhile. I rented a VHS tape from my local video store, the only tape they had, and I really enjoyed it today. It featured these three episodes:

-Demi Moore as a gold digger who marries Jeffrey Tambor (in a fat suit).

-William Hickey aka Uncle Lewis from Christmas Vacation who gets a body transplant to win the much younger girl of his dreams, played by Kelly Preston. This episode was co-hosted and directed by the Governor of California.

-Lance Henriksen in a HILARIOUS episode of extreme gambling featuring a very tense scene of Russian Roulette.

During a rare visit to KMart last week I noticed a Crypt DVD for $5.99 which features 3 episodes directed by Zemeckis. I couldn't resist and while I haven't watched it yet, I vaguely recall the episodes:

-Scary Larry Drake aka Dr. Giggles aka Benny from LA Law as a crazed killer in a Santa costume.

-Dan Aykroyd and Kirk Douglas as WW2 era(?) soldiers . . . I can't remember the surprise in this story but I think I remember enjoying it.

-The episode which follows the perception of a dead guy who looks like Humphrey Bogart (was this the series finale?).

There are so many good episodes to this show and I'd love to see them all again. I remember the one with Brion James as a lumberjack. He blinds a guy for being intimate with his wife and by the end of the show the blind guy is a master logger and he gets to cut through Brion James and his wife while they are tied and gagged. Good episode !

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    -The episode which follows the perception of a dead guy who looks like Humphrey Bogart (was this the series finale?).
    No, it was not. The final episode, if I remember, was an animated episode about the three pigs with Bobcat Goldthwait lending his voice to the wolf. It premiered on Fox on a Friday as part of an hour long showing of Tales. The other story in the hour timeslot I believe was a repeat and I think it starred Eddie Izzard. Forgive me if I messed any of this information up, but it's been awhile since I watched the tape I have of that episode.

I'll share my favorites, too.

There was an episode about a boy who was forbidden to go outside by his parents (I think he was adopted or something) and his parents would leave the house every night. The boy forms a strong friendship with the butler, played by the aforementioned Larry Drake. The boy ends up being a werewolf and his parents are vampires. It's a great episode and it's a lot better than my feeble description makes it sound.

Another episode was about a felon being chased down by a cop. To make a long description short, the felon ends up having the cop handcuffed to him and the cop dies. So the felon gets to carry this cop's dead body around with him in the desert.

There's another episode involving a mortician and his nephew. Well, I think it was his nephew. The mortician is a rotten character and he eventually kills his nephew for some dumb reason. The mortician has to cut his nephew's legs so that his body can fit in this coffin (his nephew was tall)....Well, let's just say the mortician gets a very creepy visit from the cut off legs at the end of the story.
    Last edited by James Boba Fettfield; 03-08-2004 at 01:07 AM.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Interesting . . . so did the show move to Fox after HBO ?
    I know there were edited cuts of the show sold off to syndication but this is news to me.

Caesar, I'm not 100% sure about it's move to Fox. I believe toward the end of Crypt's run, the show went to Fox for new episodes. Don't hold me to that, but I'm looking for information right now that will help confirm that.

The show did have syndication with SciFi and AMC, but this was just within the last few years. Fox was showing Tales episodes (obviously cut from their original HBO broadcasts) as part of their Friday lineup. I think eventually Fox was showing new episodes produced just for Fox, like that Three Pigs episode.

I could be wrong about this info, though. It's been quite awhile since all this happened. 7 years or so, I estimate.

Re: I miss Tales from the Crypt.

I was just going to send a PM to Caesar about this documentary dvd news, but I thought maybe some others might be interested in it.

Anyway, Dread Central has a story about a Tales documentary dvd being released later this month. It seems to focus on the comics and their influence, but I thought fans of the show would be interested, too.

http://www.cryptdvd.com/

Here's hoping for replies.

Y'know, just the other day I was listening to Elfman's Music For a Darkened Theater Vol 2 and thinking, "Man, someone ought to bring back Tales from the Crypt."

It's been a generation now. I think quality horror movies in theaters, using the original opening sequence and featuring the requisite intro and epilogue with the Crypt Keeper would be excellent. Kinda like a cross between the series proper and Demon Knight. (Bordello of Blood wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but let's leave it out of this.)

Imagine Elfman's theme playing on theater sound systems, as we take a trip into the crypt on an enormous wide screen. . . then how many of the folks who are too young to know the greatest of the Crypt Keeper would pee in their pants at the end of the intro?

And if they ever get around to releasing the series on DVD, it must have commentary by the Crypt Keeper. Character commentaries are generally a silly idea, but this would work so well.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Demon Knight was awsome.

Two favorite episodes of mine are the guy that retires then tries to find a hobby and the dead detective.

The guy looking for a hobby ends up killing and stuffing all his wife's pets, so she stuffs him in the end.

The dead detective is about this detective who gets murdered, but instead of going on to some sort afterlife in heaven like everyone believes, he finds out that he is trapped in his corpse still and is like "This is it?". So the whole episode deals with disposing of the corpse and so forth, from the corpse's point of view.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    And if they ever get around to releasing the series on DVD, it must have commentary by the Crypt Keeper. Character commentaries are generally a silly idea, but this would work so well.
    If John Kassir (voice of Cryptkeeper) is speaking the truth, then this show is supposed to be on dvd in 2005. I just hope those episodes come uncut and there's not mess ups like what happened with the Ren and Stimpy set. It worries me when they put out syndicated episodes and not the original episodes as they were for initial broadcast.

And Malakite, everyone knows the best episode was The Secret.

What was The Secret ? Give me a general outline to see if I recall.

Hey, the WW2 episode with the Douglas family was fantastic ! Even better than I recalled. Heh, they had Lance Henrikson in that one, too.

Thanks for the info, Jaymz . . . man, I'm going to have to check out that DVD. Looks like a passionate tribute to EC.
    Can't wait to get Romero's perspective.
    You know, I've never been a real fan of comics but I'll bet you that if I was growing up in the mid-50s, I would be ALL OVER these little gems. What a couple of visionaries . . . pushing the boundaries as they did to get themselves banned.
    I'm a child of the 80s so my medium of choice is film but in another day I would be an EC reader.

sorry Chux, I can't leave Bordello of Blood out of this because I love that movie, I really do. Well, I'm a HUGE Dennis Miller fan so he really cracks me up in that film but I can see how/why some people would hate it. At many times, it doesn't feel all that "Crypt"-ish to me but the ending makes up for it.

Heck yeah, Bordello of Blood rocks. On the negative side, I have to wonder if the movie wasn't a big mistake in terms of the overall success of the franchise.

Taken from tvtome's site:

Theodore is a 12 year old orphan who gets adopted by an unusual couple who lock him up in the attic. They are always working and he never gets to go and have some fun. Little does he know that his new parents harbor a dark secret. Little do they know he harbors a secret of his own.
    It's the episode I described back some months when this thread first started. I don't know why I like the episode so much. I guess it's the ending. There's something about that orphan surprising his step parents with the fact he is a werewolf that makes me happy.