View Poll Results: What style should the Episode III figures be?

Voters
713. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dynamic/Statue - scene-specifically pre-posed with limited articulation

42 5.89%
  • Basic/Neutral - barely or non-posed with modern standard articulation

249 34.92%
  • Action Gimmick - pre-posed with a motion-based action feature

21 2.95%
  • Super Articulated - neutrally-posed with high articulation but possibly higher priced

393 55.12%
  • Other

8 1.12%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What should the style of the Episode III figures be?

The modern 3" Star Wars figure lines over the past decade have gone through some pretty big changes, from the basic 6 points of articulation days of POTF2 to the kid-oriented action gimmicks of Saga and now the super-articulated "vintage" OTC figures coming later this year. With only just over a year away till Episode III, toys from likely the final Star Wars film are at this very moment being designed and Hasbro is likely asking itself the same thing this poll is asking you: How would you like to see these new figures handled, what is your action figure design preference for Episode III?

Here's what the choices mean:

• "Dynamic/Statue", scene-specifically pre-posed with limited articulation such as Luminara Unduli (Saga) or Jango Fett (Ep 2 Preview)
    • "Basic/Neutral", barely or non-posed with modern standard articulation such as Han Bespin Capture (POTJ) or Captain Typho (Saga)
    • "Action Gimmick", pre-posed with a motion-based action feature such as Padme Geonosis Arena (Saga) or Luke Throne Room (Saga)
    • "Super Articulated", near-neutrally posed with high levels of articulation (but possibly higher priced) such as "vintage" Luke Skywalker (OTC) or the Super-poseable Clone Trooper (Clone Wars)
    • "Other", some other overall design theme or possibly a combination of the above choices

special thanks to kidhuman

I voted the newer super articulated style. This is what I have been hoping for for years now.

No need to take any steps backwards, lets keep going forward Hasbro!

I also voted for the super articulated figures. I like the direction they are taking, and I'd rather pay a little more to have a figure that I could pose the way I like, as I don't play with the figures, but do like to display those I open.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Overall I think there should be a nice balance between all the choices we were given, with the majority being neutral figs. Having said that though, I voted for the SA version as we would be able to pose the fig's in a neutral pose if that is what the individual collector would like.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Quote Originally Posted by dr_evazan22
    Overall I think there should be a nice balance between all the choices we were given, with the majority being neutral figs. Having said that though, I voted for the SA version as we would be able to pose the fig's in a neutral pose if that is what the individual collector would like.
    I think that the SA version is the best out of all that we have seen over the past ten years. Some of the first figures, if you remember, did not stand and looked more like He-man then the actual figure. What I would like to see is say Pablo Jill, he has a soft plastic cape and his arms are painted the same color. I would then like to see that figure with another set of arms that can replace, Like the new Luke, where he can be posed with out the cape or with the cape. I would also like to see this as a SA so that it can pose it in any fashion that you would want.

I voted for basic/nuetral posed figures. As a carded collector this seems best to me. I have collected from vintage all the up til present. They started that way and should stay that way. The look the best in the packs that way.

I would not mind some SA figures. But like I said, as a carded collecotr I would not be able to enjoy them as much as the openers.

On to the pre-posed/statue-esque figures. A few of them scattered here and there is fine. Take Fett 300 for example. He was priced a bit more and looks great. If Hasbro popped one of these out every three months I would enjoy them. But then again, thats why we have the unleashed line.

Action gimmick figures fall into the same as staue figures to me. They are preposed and trapped in there plastic prisons forever. Also, I do not like the buttons sticking out of their backs(i.e. Mace Windu, TRD Luke)

I would also like to add this one other note. Hasbro has been giving evryone weapons from day one. I think this is great. But in all reality, does a figure like Faytonni need a gun when he is preposed to be having a drink? Thats why nuetral is the best option with good articulation.

Overall a balance of nuetral posed figures with decent articulation(not SA) would be great in my mind. Even if it cost an extra dollar.
    Last edited by Kidhuman; 03-09-2004 at 07:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks

special thanks to kidhuman

Anytime JT. Was my pleasure for asking it. Thank you for making it happen.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I voted for neutral, non SA version. This is not to say I'm opposed to SA, but some characters are served better by it than others. Characters like the stormtrooper, battle droids, and even C-3PO if they wanted too are great for SA because the joints in their armor hides and/or serves all of the joints of SA.

Characters like Padme won't work as well, and I'd rather have stiff leg and arm versions of these characters with rotating wrists, and maybe elbow joints than the peg-in-leg look that the commtech Greedo had.

I also thought that some of the glorified statue characters looked great like Luminara Unduli and Shaak Ti, but my kids also have these and complain about the fact that you can't really do anything with them. My kids also complain about the lame play features, particularly the arena Padme, because everytime they move her either her arm goes up or down and that's it.

As for soft goods, I've posted elsewhere that I'm not a fan. I thought it worked pretty well on the Princess Leia collection and on the Ep. 1 soft goods Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Darth Maul, because the soft goods was limited to their loin cloth like section of their robes and not their robes in their entirety. The cloth good robes look bad at that scale and the characters look like their trying to wrestle their way into, or out of them. I'd much prefer the removable vinyl cloaks that were part of the Ep. 1 line.

I voted "other."
    I'd like to see a logical mix of both basic/neutral and super articulated. Most importantly, if by some chance they do decide to charge more for episode 3 figures, then they need to be well made. No charging $7 (or any price really) for toys with sloppy paint, wobbly joints and accessories made from chewing gum.
    plasticfetish.net

I went with Basic/Neutral. Like B'Omarr Monkey said I'm not opposed to SA, its just I like the basic/neutral style best.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane