Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are good new sitcoms of late?

In the past few years, there has been an unusually large number of new sitcoms that have more hype than quality and usually end up disappearing quickly - NBC's "Coupling" is probably the reigning titleholder there, even the company's president said it sucked - and consequently a very low numbers of good shows. Seems like the networks have less faith in their new shows than ever, as well as no idea what to do with them much less how to nurture good shows into long-running successes, and you'll notice that by the fact that 3 of the 4 shows I listed below have had serious programming problems for no good reason except network nincompoopery.

When I think about what's on the air right now, the only new sitcoms of any merit that come to my mind are:

• Scrubs - clever, hilarious show, brilliantly written, no laugh track and consistantly funny, the internal monologue style is enhanced by some inspired quicky dream sequence bits. NBC has monkeyed with its timeslot too many times already but it hopefully will hold its own through that (NBC should certainly have left this on Thursday instead of thinking "The Apprentice" will hold their Thursday night together after it got obliterated on Wednesday);
    • Arrested Development - Fox finally has a worthy new sitcom on its hands, another laugh-track-free show often with painfully funny writing, creatively-different foundation ("situation"), and a great ensemble cast led by Jason Bateman, plus the fantastic touch of having Ron Howard narrate each episode. Fox already pulling some scheduling shenanigans, which usually causes them to prematurely cancel good programming for poor reasons;
    • Two and a Half Men - fairly schticky, overly-well-trodden sitcom fare from the creator of "Dharma & Greg" but with 2 great actors as the leads, Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer (who unfortunately gets the short end of the writing stick most of the time) that have good chemistry and seem to be having fun with it. Not a "favorite" of mine by any stretch, but easily watchable in comparison to most of the new sitcoms put out in the 2003/2004 season.
    • Good Morning Miami - Premise and surface features made this show seem unwatchable to me at first, but strong writing and a solid-if-somewhat-unknown cast actually keep it funny. The longer the show ran, the looser it got with the plotlines which worked to its advantage. Possibly the smartest thing about this series is that most of the background characters and even extras are given plum lines and shining comedy moments adding dimension and flavor without subtracting from main characters and situations - many other sitcoms should learn that lesson. NBC has never been kind to this show's scheduling and has been bouncing it between cancelled and surviving while keeping it on hiatus, thus guaranteeing it no chance to build an audience.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

JT, man! Where's the love for George Lopez?! I don't know why I am so drawn to his show, but I followed the show from its usual Wednesday (or was it Tuesday?) time slot to ABC's refreshing and new TGIF lineup.

Anyway, I love George Lopez. I loved the story arc about George meeting his father. That story had it all, from Cheech Marin pretending to be his dad to George finally meeting his dad and knocking him out! I love the comedy being mixed with the mild family drama.

I used to watch 8 Simple Rules, but my schedule for college has not given me a lot of free time to catch the show on Tuesdays. From the few episodes I have caught in the post Ritter production, it seems to still be a decent show.

But George Lopez all the way, I cannot express how much I love that show.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

To me there hasn't been many. I love Scrubs. Also like the Bernie Mac show, but Fox bounced it around so much, I dont even know if it is still on.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Damn, how could I forget George Lopez? I guess because it sneaked up on me, I had no intention of watching it but eventually got bored and gave in, and enjoyed it a lot. Absolutely, that's one that'd be on my list, good call JBF.

KH, Bernie Mac is another one like Lopez, I didn't think to add it to the list because it grew on me slowly. It's currently in the "honor spot" between Simpsons and Malcolm in the Middle, but I know what you mean about its sched being hard to follow. I certainly would have put it before 2 and a Half Men on my list if I had remembered.

That reminds me, "Wanda", Wanda Sykes' show, was really funny, but looks like Fox gave it the axe all too soon.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    That reminds me, "Wanda", Wanda Sykes' show, was really funny, but looks like Fox gave it the axe all too soon.

That was another good show. Fox axed way too many shows before they got a fair shot. At least Family Guy is coming back(rumor)
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.

I watched the first few episodes of Tracy Morgan and I liked them more than I thought I would. Haven't seen it since . . . just too busy squandering my time on other exploits. How is that show doing ? I haven't heard anything lately. Is it growing into a nice project or was it just a quick pop? Or do you think it sucked from the beginning ?

I used to really love Bernie Mac, back before they replaced the main actor and changed the name. You remember, back when he has the crazy dad in the mix? Only I think it was called Titus back then.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Titus was a great show. I used to pee myself watching it. Stacy Keech was a funny bastage on that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    I watched the first few episodes of Tracy Morgan and I liked them more than I thought I would. Haven't seen it since . . . just too busy squandering my time on other exploits. How is that show doing ? I haven't heard anything lately. Is it growing into a nice project or was it just a quick pop? Or do you think it sucked from the beginning ?
    I didn't give it a chance, but I think it was pulled from the schedule, aka "cancelled".

Chux, I agree, Titus was pretty good and Fox definitely blew it there by cancelling it. Fox prematurely cancels almost everything they put out nowadays, they haven't taken a risk on anything since The Simpsons even though their network was born from taking a risk on Married with Children.

This looks like the closest thing to a "Two and a Half Men" thread, so far as I can tell, so I'll post this here:

THANK YOU, CHARLIE SHEEN, FOR GETTING THIS STEAMING PILE CANCELED ONCE AND FOR ALL!!

You are a hero to us all, and the world owes you a debt of gratitude that can never be fully repaid.
    Tommy, close your eyes.