Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DISH sucks!

DISH sucks!

With their new changes to the channel line up "for the good of the customer" I can't watch Comedy Central at work now (insert lazy joke here, I don't care )! How am I supposed to go on without "Insomniac" and "Chappelle's Show"??
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Have you looked at channel 101 (FYI station)? The CEO explains their side of the story about how they (Viacom) are jacking up the cost of their package (CC, MTV, VH1, Nick, Noggin) 40%, which is several times the rate of inflation. If Dish accepts then our bills go up (according to them). I don't know what Viacom's side of the story is (it's probably at the other extreme) so I'd like to hear it.

They're trying to make up for it by giving us a $1 credit (whoop-de-do) and four channels-some lame video station, a Disney cartoon station, and two others. Why don't they just give us TMC, FX, or some other good stations that we would have to pay more to get?
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Satellite and cable rates are awful. I live alone so I don't have either. But I see echostar's point, 40% in one year is robbery. There is no justification on Viacom's part for this. It's gouging, and I think Echostar is doing the right thing by shooting the hostage, at least for awhile!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I have DirectTV and am glad they still have the channels. Whilwe I dont watch MTV, Ido watch Com. Central some.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I think part of the issue is, that Viacom was forcing them to take all of their channels in one package, in order to be able to broadcast some local CBS affiliates.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Cable rates are already outrageous, how Viacom thinks they can raise their fees to cable's alternative so high and expect to walk away unscathed is beyond me. That's the problem with this media-gianting, there's just too much of a monopoly to be had here. Just in broadcast, with the FCC easing restrictions on how many stations someone can own recently, Viacom now controls channels 2, 9, and 13 here in LA; then add cable or satellite to the mix and you've got Spike, Comedy Central, MTV, VH1, Nickelodeon, and TV Land (plus half of those have digital cable offshoots such as MTV2 and The "N"), that's just off the top of my head, there might be more.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

You're kidding, JT, right? I know radio was deregulated so multiple stations in a market could be owned by a single company but aren't TV stations still one a market per owner?

When Disney bought ABC/Cap. City they had to sell KCAL-9 cause channel 4 is owned by ABC. Having a single owner for more than one station is garbage because that centralizes media and thus what can be aired. It's like too much government interference. One entity with that much power is not a good thing.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Channel 7 is actually the one owned by ABC, not 4.

Yes, there were congressional hearings last year and I believe Fox owner Rupert Murdoch testified in favor of relaxing the regulations of media ownership, which indirectly allowed him to purchase DirecTV (also, promises were made in regards to giving more local access to viewers which turned out to be a sham). Apparently, after the relaxation of said regulations and media giants started buying stuff up, there were court ruling ping-ponging the decison from standing to repealing.

And yes, when Disney bought ABC, they had to sell KCAL 9 because Disney owned it before they bought ABC and couldn't have 2 stations in 1 market at that time. I don't know when KCAL 9 got sold, but I know there were no buyers for years before it eventually ended up in Viacom's hands. And when Viacom bought CBS, I think it was after the relaxation of said FCC regs, and strangely, KCAL 9 and KCBS 2 here in LA started sharing staff including on-air news staff.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I almost started a thread on this yesterday but decided not to since there would be too many expletives in my post. What an absolute joke . . . I just might call those phone numbers and have a go at somebody over this.

I could not care less about MTV but Comedy Central and VH1 are enjoyed by me on occasion.

Man Can, you're right about F/X - that should have been dropped in immediately.

Charlie Ergen for president !

i caught the daily show tonight, and it started with jon stewart talking about how dish was "taking away" CC and such... it was a funny little monologue, about how he couldn't care less if the daily show was unavailable, but when you take away people's spongebob you get pandemonium, saying they took spongebob away in haiti, and you see what happened there...

anyway, it was very depressing to see jon stewart shilling for his parent company... and i'm pretty sure i heard a little bit of him die right there on the set while he did it...

flirting with credibility no more...
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope