Page 1 of 585 123451151101501 ... LastLast

Transformers: Energon & Beyond

Our original Transformers thread has gone missing, apparently eaten by Unicron (or, more precisely, by the wonked up server which our host was SUPPOSED to have gotten us off of by now ) so we'll have to start anew. I personally feel very bad about this both as a staff member and as a forumite, I put a lot of time into posting in that thread and now it's completely disappeared. But anyway, nothing I can do about that now, maybe in the future once we're moved...

So, the TF:Energon line is on sale at Target right now, it wasn't marked at my store but I picked up Scorponok for $19.99 instead of his normal $24.99 (which is $30 at TRU and $27 at WM); they also have basics for $5 instead of $7, deluxes for $8 instead of $10, and megas for $15 instead of $20 - I found it interesting that this is the 2nd significant sale Target's had on the Energon line in 6 months.

Scorponok wasn't a figure I really wanted, but with the recent addition of Landmine, my poor Energon Decepticons were so badly outnumbered and outgunned that the lower priced Scorponok was a vital addition to the enemy ranks. I didn't realize how similar he and Landmine were in size even though they're not really in the same scale, though Scorponok is much heavier. As I was advised on the old thread, Scorp's US colors are less awful in person than in photos, it's still not as nice as the Japanese version, but it isn't so bad. Vehicle mode is ok, I wish the tail were more articulated so the crane was believable, and I don't really know what to do with the "claws", but the sculpting on this figure is undeniable with lots of details everywhere you look. The various clear yellow bits are pretty bland for me, especially those blades that can be moved out like 10 degrees, they should have been cooler as removable blades or blades that went further out or stowed completely or SOMETHING. The electronics are pretty annoying in vehicle and bot modes, mainly that tail noise that goes off all the time and it's funny, both Landmine and Scorponok feel like they need 1 more noise even though I don't like the idea of sounds at all... I guess 1 more noise would help justify the extra cost and addition of bulky electronics.

Transformation is fairly simple but not terrible, there's enough to do to keep one busy even if it's all quite basic. Bot mode needs a mid-elbow rotation badly, the only way he can hold weapons without looking weird is to have his shoulders re-transformed into hoverjet mode. There's a lot to see and do in bot mode, but he's also kinda basic. The tail not stowing nicely, the head being too easy to accidentally de-transform, and him always leaning forward slightly in a normal stance are my chief negative complaints. Hoverjet mode is ok, but more of an afterthought than anything else. All in all, he's not too bad for $20, but I am glad that I didn't pay more as he's not super amazing.

Gah, when is Wave 3 getting here? I'm going through withdrawl already.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

NOOOO! My baby! He was only one and a half years old!

Anywho. I've heard that King Atlus has finally started showing up. 'bout time.

Speaking of sales, its a pretty damn good one. Deluxes were like, eight bucks? I read at tfw2005 that wal-mart is having one as well, with even lower prices. Crazy.

The last TF I bought was Megatron.. waiting for Mirage.. where is he?

Oh man... all of that gone. Geez.

Hmmm. I was gonna break with my Trans-fast and get Scorponok, but now I'm not sure. Hmmm. Only $20 huh? Hmmm.
    plasticfetish.net

Yeah, I'm really very bummed about that thread disappearing, I'm really sorry about that to everybody who participated in it.

Yeah, Dlxs are $8 at Target, I read the same thing about WM's even-lower sale prices and their new TF megasection going up at figures.com's boards, but WM is significantly further away from me and gas is around $2.20 a gallon here, so there was no way I was going to WM just to save another buck on Scorpo.

King Atlas, huh? I've already forgotten what this Universe version looks like. IIRC, wasn't he white and red or something? I have MW Starscream so I'll almost certainly pass, but it's nice to see they're getting this out there.

I just thought of something, what IS the nature of energon in the current series? Bots don't seem to run on it, and neither do their regular weapons, so what is this stuff?

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Just saw your post PF, if you have the money, Scorp is not a bad $20 to spend. He bolsters the Decepticon ranks, he has some neat stuff going on, and of course has play gimmicks for the kiddies (though I have a feeling some parents will quickly remove those 3 button cells from this guy ), and his missiles are surprisingly well-hidden. If you've been on the fence like I was, consider this $20 sale an omen (or WM's $19 price if that's closer to you), and plus right now while it's early, you have really good chances of finding one at these prices.

Cool, i hope to find a few basic figures at either Walmart or Target on sale. Im more into Transformers that look like animals so a few of the Decepticons in the Energon line look appealing. But my brother really likes the Energon (no suprise, he did like Armada too) toys and with his birthday coming up soon i could pick him up a few cheap. Anybody gotten Optimus Prime? I have a hard time feeling that my brother needs this version of him, he doesnt impress me at all.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

I am pretty sure one of the two other major contributors to the previous thread bought Fatimus right before Hasbro announced the mouth change.

Kool-Aid, when you look for Battle Ravage figures, look for the ones with the more recent datestamps, they have been modified to hold their bot modes better. Can't go wrong with Divebomb though, he's the man!!!

Ive already got a Battle Ravage, but the new one might appeal to my brother. I just seen Divebomb at Walmart and i really like his bot mode. Cruelock also looked like one im going to pick up. Any idea on when the Walmart sale would begin? I would really like to get the jump on some of the newer figures such as Prowl, Rodimus, and Snowcat before the pegs are left full of the firetruck and Hotshots.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

The sale already began, but I've heard that only WMs near Targets are doing the sale right now.

I gave Cruellock's sword to Scorponok, what a perfect combination! Just the right scale, it's nice and large, and actually looks like he's holding it. Hard to believe it came from Cruellock, whom I'm not all that happy with as a figure on its own (though he had to have a weapon, so I gave him Starscream's sword as an over-the-shoulder cannon). I only noticed yesterday that Scorpo's jet mode is the same size as Tidal Wave's jet mode, it's weird how much bigger Tidal Wave's bot mode is than Scorp though.

Anybody notice that the Omnibots were called "Omnicons" several times last week, including at the end by Optimus himself?

The Walmart is about two miles away from the nearest Target. I would have picked them up at Target, but they dont have any new figures and i was tempted on using the lawaway at Walmart. I missed half the cartoon, Killer needed some sleep...