Page 142 of 580 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152192242 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 5799
    Transformers Stormbringer 4
    -I actually grabbed a second copy of issue 3 with
    this, as I forgot that I already had and read it.
    Issue 4 continues this trend, with a forgettable
    set-up story that, well, does nothing but move a bunch
    of characters around in a brand new, and thus barely
    defined setting. Maybe I would care more if this was
    not one of many Transformers arcs running at the
    moment. Maybe I would care more if this arc was about
    more than Transformers doing stuff for the sake of it.
    Thus far, IDW has managed to avoid the continuity
    problems that Dreamwave tripped over frequently. But,
    there is not much else to say for this series. Grade:
    C

Transformers Spotlight: Nightbeat
    -Much like the old Nightbeat stories from the original
    comic, this one is basically a parody of the
    mystery/detective genre. Oh, and much like
    Stormbringer, there is more set-up for whatever
    super-happy-cool-time payoff IDW has planned. While
    IDW's previous "Spotlight" offering left the ending
    open with set-up, it also managed to tell a complete
    story. This issue seems more like plain ol' set-up
    and not much else. Grade: C Lacks the style and fun
    of the old G1 detective parody stories, and does not
    bring in anything to balance the deficit.

Transformers Generations 7 and 8
    -Reptints issues 24 and 25 of the old Marvel run. 7
    is the lackluster story where Prime dies in a video
    game. (It needs to be read to be believed.) 8 is a
    reprint of a well-written story, and worty picking up
    if you do not have the original, or any compilations
    with the issue. The covers on both are pretty good,
    and might be worth the purchase price in and of
    itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Guglieme View Post
    Seriously though, the toy has been around for a few months now. For your purposes though, you might want to wait for Hightail, and Autobot recolor of the same mold. As most Alternators are Autobots, Hightail would likely be more consitent with your display.

Thanks for the information Dominic. Actually, as I need to bolster my Decepticon ranks for exactly the reason you mentioned, I think I might do better with Lugnutz.

Right now I have 0 (zero) Decepticons.

MPE Starscream is in the mail.
    I plan on getting the Jaguar Ravage, the Honda Rumble.

I don't really buy repaints (Sunstreaker being a rational exception).

I don't have either Prime pickup, hence if Nemesis Prime was given a new head and Autobot decaling, I'd accept him as Ironhide.

Again, as the mold is great and I didn't buy Grimlock (he's a T-Rex, not a Mustang!) I'd take Wheeljack repainted as Brawl from the new movie.

But until now, I had 9 Autobots and Zero Decepticons. But we've just heard that very soon (probably Toy Fair or sooner?) we'll see Masterpiece Megatron!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be good. Meanwhile, if he doesn't look wrong with them, Lugnutz would do well to bolster their ranks - as there are little Decepticons ever since G1 (Rumble's original conception for example).

In another note: I was at a Halloween party this evening and I just often talk about what interests me when people ask. I mentioned that I'm watching all the G1 cartoons off that MySpace page I told you about, and this guy at the party and his girlfriend were completely interested and are going to add on to the Transformer group so they can watch them. He was actually out looking to buy himself the DVD sets this past weekend but couldn't find them.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Okay, so there's still really only three. Hopefully MP06 will be a certain T-rex
    so you're hoping for Beast Wars Megs?

Tycho, you mean you don't have any G1 Decepticons? and you call yourself a fan?

i'm always a sucker for TF planes and so i'm definitely getting that classics "rick hunter's veritech" . it looks like this one won't have the problems that titanium jetfire has of too much of a gap between the wings and legs/thrusters

Back in the day, I had everything - the combiner teams, Sky Lynx, you name it.

Then I sold my collection - even a complete "re-boxed as new" G1 Prime.

But somewhere deep inside, I had a lot of love for this stuff.

Along comes the time when I'm out in the stores (mostly Targets I believe) and I keep seeing the Alternators Smokescreen and Sideswipe. They look too good. I spend months studying their packaging, trying to size them up if they are worth it. Finally I cave and buy SideSwipe - just to see how good the guy actually is. About then, 20th Anniversary Prime starts showing up in the stores. I love it, but $70 takes away from my Star Wars funny. I figure that maybe it's so 80's that it will sit until clearance. I could not have been more wrong and if it weren't for El Chuxter, I wouldn't have MP01. (Still one of my best toy purchases EVER!)

With Hound came Silverstreak (kind of a nobody in terms of the G1 cartoon - and he was BlueStreak then anyway). So I always loved Hound and just bought him. I started picking and choosing a little.

With the Decepticons, it seemes Hasbro was just going to repaint cars they already made: Dead End, Swindle, Battle Ravage. These were much further from their G1 backgrounds than brand name changes for SideSwipe (formerly a Lamborghini). So I didn't bite - not that I don't want an army of 9-10 Decepticons on this scale and detail level.

However, in Transformers history, their were two lines of assembly for the Quintesson slavers: consumer models and military hardware. The Decepticons were the latter, so I figure that my Decepticon ranks should mostly consist of military vehicles (fighter jets, combat helicopters, tanks, and so forth). There are some Stunticons and Swindle in the combiner mixes (not to mention the Constructicons), but with Rumble and Ravage being cars in the Alternator line, I figure that's enough.

I'll take MPE Starscream repaints for Skywarp and Thundercracker, so long as they give them new headsculpts, and the same for Ramjet, Thrust, and Dirge (but include new wing & tail sculpts), but I'm not "a collector," and I pick and choose what I want.

I have:

ALTS:

SideSwipe
    SmokeScreen
    Hound
    Tracks
    Meister
    Wheeljack
    Sunstreaker
    Mirage

MPEs:

Optimus Prime
    Starscream (coming)

I'll soon add:

ALTS

Rumble
    Ravage

MPE

Megatron (TBA)

The only Autobots I want now are Ironhide, Ratchet, BumbleBee, and possibly Hot Rod, Kup, Blurr, Springer, Arcee and a totally new sculpt MPE Ultra Magnus. I may consider Grimlock.

I want Decepticons pretty badly, as you can tell what's lacking from my list. I'll consider MPEs Cyclonus, Scourge, and Galvatron should they be worthy, too. Possibly a sharkticon.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Dom, with the comic shop I frequented severely underordering, and now going out of business, I'm going to wait for the paperback for Stormbringer. I read a preview some time back, and was wondering one thing.

Can you spoil who the mystery 'Con is that was stirring deep within Cybertron? This being Furman, and the scene hinting at some sort of mystic power, my money's on Bludgeon or Thunderwing.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Sucks to hear about brittle plastic on Starscream, if they do him in the US I suspect they will probably use a similar quality of plastic, I believe the tight mold tolerances demand it. Good luck with yours Tycho.

JT: Yes, you did tell me about Bumblebee being off-scale (at least I think it was you), but actually seeing it was jarring......... Ick.
    Well, it's an acessory, not a crucial part of the toy, so that's how I'm able to overlook it.

And, Lugnutz is a great toy dangit. That toy is no worse than most Alternators in the kibble department.
    Dude, come on! Alternators may have kibble, but none of the ones out now are so incredibly thoughtless with how their kibble is used - almost an entire motorcycle on his shoulders?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Is Lugnutz older and I just saw one sitting? Or is he newer and likely that I'll find him again?
    Older, has been a pegwarmer since the day he came out because a large percentage of Cybertron collectors recognize how crappy he is. There's a repaint of Lugnutz that just started getting sighted today, named "Hightail".

Tycho, if you were just looking for vehicle modes, Lugnutz is probably as good as it'll get for realistic motorcycle quality, but in bot mode it's a total suckfest. Check out the pics Ben Yee has of it: http://www.bwtf.com/cybertron/toys/lugnutz/

(BTW, Ben Yee is notorious for being incredibly positive with his reviews, yet he gave Lugnutz the second-worst rating he has both in the Japanese Galaxy Force version and the Cybertron version.)
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

JT is just mean. That is all there is to this. JT is mean, and to boot, he is a terrible judge of transforming motor-cycles. Seriously. I mean that.

Oh, I meant to bring this up yesterday: As far as a trailer-less Prime goes, I know that Prime's tend to average in at 30+ or 40 or so dollars now. But, when I buy a Voyager scale toy, I want.... a bit more than a toy that looks incomplete. Even a simple, "but this box with wheels together yourself, or re-assemble it into a sort of earth-works" would have sufficed.

In my day, we got Prime with a trailer for 20 dollars, and we saw movies, and they only cost a nickel dammit!

Oh, here is a comic review....

Well, as I have a bit of time before hustling off to reporter land tonight........and I hit a comics shop today.....
    Transformers the Movie 1
    Superman/Batman Annual 1

Transformers the Movie 1
    Well, this is.....actually a bit less than I expected. Basically, this is a retelling of Marvel's old adaptation of the original movie. I do not have the originals handy (being that I am at school right now), but it seems to be deviating from the page layout. (I recall the original series being 3 issues, and the first issue ended with Galvatron being built. This one ends with Prime in the repair bay.) And, there is a misplaced word balloon, with Hotrod seeming to say Perceptor's "I fear the wounds are fatal." line. Budianski seems to be duping the script. (I do not have the originals in front of me, nor do I plan to do a line for line comparison.) Some early publicity mentioned new scenes (involving the year 3 merge-teams), but nothing doing on that in this issue. For his part, Figueroa does a good job of working with a some-what retro page lay-out. While he does not seem to be aping the old art, he does a fair job of combining his modern aesthetic with retro-sensibilities. (Just as in the original, if you skip half a page, you misse Megatron and co taking the shuttle.) Grade: B/C Buy it for the art more than anything else.

JT is just mean. That is all there is to this. JT is mean, and to boot, he is a terrible judge of transforming motor-cycles. Seriously. I mean that.
    Which one of us refuses to buy TF:Classics for the most arbitrary of reasons? That would be you. Which one of us owns the laser cycles, every minicon motorcycle, Energon Arcee and Deluxe High Wire, Armada Sideways, Beast Machines Thrust and Motorcycle Drone, even Beast Wars Transmetal Tarantulas for his motorcycle mode, and both of the TMNT line's transforming hover-cycles? That would be me. It is not my fault that the designers put the entire rear and front end on Lugnutz's shoulders, it is not my fault the actual figure stems from the small midsection of the bike, it is not my fault the designers locked the kibble into his back with a wimpy friction bump, it is not my fault that the designers made his head pop up so he looks like a hunchback, it is not my fault that the designers gave him a trombone weapon that he can't even hold right, none of that is me being mean, that is a bad figure which you have a crush on simply because it has a decent vehicle mode.

Oh, I meant to bring this up yesterday: As far as a trailer-less Prime goes, I know that Prime's tend to average in at 30+ or 40 or so dollars now. But, when I buy a Voyager scale toy, I want.... a bit more than a toy that looks incomplete. Even a simple, "but this box with wheels together yourself, or re-assemble it into a sort of earth-works" would have sufficed.
    Oh well, your loss. Look at how enthusiastic DvD's review is for the piece.

In my day, we got Prime with a trailer for 20 dollars, and we saw movies, and they only cost a nickel dammit!
    "In my day, transforming robots didn't have multiple points of articulation, or creative change-schemes, or faces, and we liked it!"
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well I held Lugnutz (packaged) up to MPE Optimus Prime (re-release version) in Toys R Us today (this is the Prime I use as my Alternator Autobot Leader), and said "forget it" to Lugnutz even before I read your contrary reviews.

Here's why:

Lugnutz is not even an established Decepticon. The "established ones" are:

Megatron
    Starscream
    Soundwave
    Thundercracker
    Skywarp
    Ravage
    Rumble
    Lazerbeak
    Shockwave
    and then some secondary jets until you get to the cast revamped after the last Unicron War shown in the cartoon movie.

Before I saw him in the stores, I'd never heard of Lugnutz. So I figure I didn't need him. The robot mode also didn't look too sturdy anyway.

Secondary jets: Ramjet, Dirge, and Thrust. Dirge and Thrust were just okay. Ramjet is cooler than Thundercracker.

If you're only super-old-school G1, what about Buzzsaw, Frenzy, Kickback, Shrapnel, Bombshell, Reflector, Scrapper, Scavenger, Hook, Mixmaster, Long Haul, Bonecrusher, Devastator, Blitzwing, and Astrotrain?
    Tommy, close your eyes.