Page 157 of 588 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167207257 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 5874
    I think I can say darthvyn is correct. My friends and I more were into the comics as kids, because (until the writer, Bob Budiansky, seemed to suddenly run out of cool ideas and started giving us carp like "Car Wash of Doom") the stories were more realized, and could continue for several months. (Also, I don't think the cartoon could get away with Jazz blasting "Material Girl" as loudly as his speakers would go.) Plus, when we played with the toys, it was easier to come up with your own continuation of a comic arc that was only halfway done than a 30-minute, self-contained cartoon.

I'd recommend checking out the original series (the entire thing is collected in about a dozen or so paperbacks from Titan Books--found in large numbers at Comic-Con 50% off bins). It starts pretty weak, when it's just an ad for toys, quickly moves into overdrive when Shockwave kills all the Autobots except Ratchet and takes over the Decepticons (#4), flounders when the ideas start getting goofy in the #20s (like a Decepticon campaign to graffitti NYC--no joke--or Prime's aforementioned videogame death), picks up slightly when Grimlock returns (from an absence not explained in America, but filled in in the British comics) to take over the Autobots and coasts at "readable but not great" until Simon Furman takes over with #56 and turns it into one of the greatest sci-fi comics ever written within about three issues. (All the history of the Transformers, evil Matrix, Unicron's appearance in the comic universe, etc, was the work of Furman. I'll tell you now that I was so incredibly disgusted when a cliffhanger ending showed a full-page panel of Unicron for the first time in the comics... until I read the next issue. When he actually arrives at Cybertron a couple of years later, he commits carnage to dwarf what we saw in the movie.)

Dreamwave had two G1 mini-series, an ongoing series (that only lasted like six issues), and 2.5 series set in the far past called The War Within. The first series started in the present day, with the background supposedly being that the events of the cartoon (somehow mashed in with some comic events, which was never made clear) had happened, then the Autobots defeated the Decepticons in the early '90s and tried to go home. But their ship exploded when the Decepticons, who weren't as defeated as everyone thought, attacked and blew up the ship, scattering deactivated Transformers across the globe. A mercenary started to use them ('Bot and 'Con alike) as weapons until the US government discovered Prime's body. He used the Matrix to somehow restore all the Transformers' minds, and then there was a big pointless battle. The writing was some of the absolute worst I've ever read in any comic book. Prime didn't act like Prime, other than the fact that he was in charge, and the same with Megatron. Starscream wanted to take over, and Grimlock talked funny. Other than that, everyone was pretty much totally interchangeable. This series also scored major negative points with me when, after being restored, Grimlock decided it would be more fun to join the Decepticons and eat people. The follow-up series were readable, but not very good, and kept hinting at some sort of history that the writers were never talented enough to actually convey.

Only The War Within series (all by Furman) deserve to be remembered from Dreamwave. These are set millions of years in the past, and primarily deal with the development of Prime, Megatron, and Grimlock as emerging leaders, against the backdrop of the early days of the civil war.

IDW's series is pretty good from what I've read. I'm several issues behind, but it looks like it's starting very slowly and will keep building up to some huge battle within the next year or so.

I thought the cartoon was fun as a kid, but preferred the longer stories. I hated the movie. As an adult, I can see the cartoon as being good for what it was, and the movie is one of my all-time favorites.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    Is Michael Bay rebooting continuity? Any word on what he supposes the Transformers' origin is?
    Yes, and it's anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom
    Chaddy's theme idea works better without the rousing speech.
    Agreed. I don't want a rousing speech. Something like Spider-Man's "With great power comes great responsibility" or X-Men's "We're not all bad" or XMen 2's "Have you tried...not...being a mutant?" Not a "beat you over the head" thematic moment, but something subtle enough to be appreciated, yet clear enough to pull the piece together for the audience. Maybe even a moment where Spike trounces one of the Decepticons after it pontificates on the worthlessness and weakness of flesh creatures. I don't know. I'd have told a different story altogether, so it's hard to figure out where to shoe-horn that moment. Maybe a quiet moment between Prime and Spike where Prime imparts some wisdom. I don't know. Mine would've been a different movie. Again, without the military stuff. So cliche.
    All Hail Darth Schmitsky!

Something I've been meaning to point out, on wave 2's packaging, it says "Licensed from TOMY Company, Ltd." rather than Takara, whom Tomy bought last year. I can't believe after 22 years, Takara's finally a dead name! They can never truly be classics now!

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    "a collection of broken continuities" were JT's words i believe
    A tapestry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai View Post
    Has the Soundwave that transforms into the boombox like the vintage version come and gone? Was that one a TRU exclusive?
    Comes out this month, any day now, and all the reissues were/are TRU exclusives. I wish I had preordered it online back when it would have meant something, now I feel like it's better to risk finding it at the store than being the 1,000,000th preorder on the website. Just search soundwave at TRU's website, first one that comes up, you can't miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Chux: what continuity do you prefer? Are the cartoons considered by the largest majority to be "cannon?" (If you can consider anything cannon?)
    I've found that Transfans kinda pick & choose pieces of the cartoon and the Marvel comics for their canon, which itself really means it's NOT canon but they seem to generally agree on it none the less.

Is Michael Bay rebooting continuity? Any word on what he supposes the Transformers' origin is?
    Bay will not be respecting any continuity to prior elements, he'll be borrowing from a few various ones and making it up. Whether it will be a true reboot to TFs is up to Hasbro though, and how they run with it. Already we've seen that Hasbro is ignoring some of the movie's elements though.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Here's Masterpiece 05 Megatron! - finished and in full color - with an interesting accessory, too. (He ought to come with his handgun form Trans-scale that was also included with Prime, but...)

This does look good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	megatron_coloredssg.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	14808  
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Okay, I don't remember that little... thing.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    It was in one of the G1 cartoons and took over a Transformer (or there were more than 1 of them) and made them crazy. In Megatron or Starscream's cases, it made them crazier than they already were. But I think it also made Prime and other key Autobots bad guys for part of an episode, or even a 2-parter.

Many of the times they used these external plot entities from these Sparks to biological beasts etc. I loathed it. I thought there was enough source material with the robots to keep them busy rather than have Metroplex fighting Mothma and Rodan (traditional Godzilla enemies).

But sparky was in an episode or two.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Chux
    Dude, it's Kremzeek!! The loveable, destructive little intelligent electrical surge from perhaps one of the most drug-induced episodes of Season 2. I have no idea why he's packaged with Megatron, but it makes me laugh and that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    Here's Masterpiece 05 Megatron! - finished and in full color - with an interesting accessory, too. (He ought to come with his handgun form Trans-scale that was also included with Prime, but...)
    That's digi-painted, for anyone curious.

For anyone still curious, he also comes with the laser cutter and pistol from the movie (during the battle with Prime) as well as the energon mace from the pilot 3 parter ("More Than Meets The Eye") which works perfectly with Prime's energon axe. Very cool. Oh, wait, I have pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MP05 Megs.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	14809  

Check it out, someone customized their Classics Megatron into his G1 colors, and stripped him of his wings:
    http://www.transformersclassics.com/...on/imgp0099cm5

Alt mode is a total cheat now though, and I think they went TOO simple with the paint there, but bot mode looks great.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Check it out, someone customized their Classics Megatron into his G1 colors, and stripped him of his wings:
    http://www.transformersclassics.com/...on/imgp0099cm5

Alt mode is a total cheat now though, and I think they went TOO simple with the paint there, but bot mode looks great.
    how is it a cheat? because the wings are kibble? Yeah...I can see that, but man, those colors are hot. I may decide to do that one of these days when I'm through with all of my other pet projects.

Honestly, it looks great! - actually better than the original G1 in robot mode.