Page 158 of 565 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168208258 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 5650
    I truncated much of this.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I'd recommend checking out the original series (the entire thing is collected in about a dozen or so paperbacks from Titan Books--found in large numbers at Comic-Con 50% off bins). It starts pretty weak, when it's just an ad for toys, quickly moves into overdrive when Shockwave kills all the Autobots except Ratchet and takes over the Decepticons (#4), flounders when the ideas start getting goofy in the #20s (like a Decepticon campaign to graffitti NYC--no joke--or Prime's aforementioned videogame death), picks up slightly when Grimlock returns (from an absence not explained in America, but filled in in the British comics) to take over the Autobots and coasts at "readable but not great" until Simon Furman takes over with #56 and turns it into one of the greatest sci-fi comics ever written within about three issues. (All the history of the Transformers, evil Matrix, Unicron's appearance in the comic universe, etc, was the work of Furman. I'll tell you now that I was so incredibly disgusted when a cliffhanger ending showed a full-page panel of Unicron for the first time in the comics... until I read the next issue. When he actually arrives at Cybertron a couple of years later, he commits carnage to dwarf what we saw in the movie.)

Dreamwave had two G1 mini-series, an ongoing series (that only lasted like six issues), and 2.5 series set in the far past called The War Within. The first series started in the present day, with the background supposedly being that the events of the cartoon (somehow mashed in with some comic events, which was never made clear) had happened, then the Autobots defeated the Decepticons in the early '90s and tried to go home. But their ship exploded when the Decepticons, who weren't as defeated as everyone thought, attacked and blew up the ship, scattering deactivated Transformers across the globe. A mercenary started to use them ('Bot and 'Con alike) as weapons until the US government discovered Prime's body. He used the Matrix to somehow restore all the Transformers' minds, and then there was a big pointless battle. The writing was some of the absolute worst I've ever read in any comic book. Prime didn't act like Prime, other than the fact that he was in charge, and the same with Megatron. Starscream wanted to take over, and Grimlock talked funny. Other than that, everyone was pretty much totally interchangeable. This series also scored major negative points with me when, after being restored, Grimlock decided it would be more fun to join the Decepticons and eat people. The follow-up series were readable, but not very good, and kept hinting at some sort of history that the writers were never talented enough to actually convey.

Only The War Within series (all by Furman) deserve to be remembered from Dreamwave. These are set millions of years in the past, and primarily deal with the development of Prime, Megatron, and Grimlock as emerging leaders, against the backdrop of the early days of the civil war.
    The generation 1 comic was hit or miss. Budiansky running out of steam was a huge problem, and common to his work. (Remember "Sleepwalker" anyone?) Furman's strong showing (both in G1 and G2) was as much the guidance of Rob Tokar as editor than Furman's unbound talents. Furman has written some clunkers. Read some of his pre-Tokar UK stories.

The best thing about Furman's Unicron (in any series) is that the characters never treat him as a "seen it and beaten it". In both G1 and Armada, everybody freezes when they see Unicron and realize what it is-something fully capable of rending their planet asunder. Even without the psuedo profound mysticism Furman likes, that is pretty daunting. Furman's Unicron is not quite Stalin's Thanos and Warlock, but it comes close.

Chux has made a few mistakes in summarizing the Dreamwave years. This is understandable, as Dreamwave stumbles over its own continuity more than once. The exploding ship had more than one cause, depending on which series one reads. Characters appear in more than one place at a time, and have multiple origins. War Within was a guilty as any other DW book of this. War Within II was much better than the first, as it was more idea based, and relied far less on Easter Eggs to tell a story. The second Generation one series is also better than the first. For all of its continuity problems, it avoids the childish errors of the first series, especially the last issue. (The US does not have defense ministers, and our defense officials do not wear military regalia, nor do Canadian officials.)

IDW is ranging from pure fanwank to self-indulgent decompression. Other than the Shockwave one-shot, I can think of nothing worthwhile that IDW has published.

so where's the review of Classics Grimlock, JT?

if it's just a matter of doing repaints, i think i'll try a custom classics Megs as well as repainting starscream into thundercracker and skywarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddymac View Post
    how is it a cheat? because the wings are kibble? Yeah...I can see that, but man, those colors are hot. I may decide to do that one of these days when I'm through with all of my other pet projects.
    Because the wings WERE kibble to begin with, but once they come off they become shell parts a la Pretenders which is as cheaty as it can get.

Transformers Classics Grimlock - an interesting set of choices, not all successful, and some stuff feels abandoned like why the stalk holding the gun on his back folds ALL the way over. Alt mode is decent, well-balanced dino mode with some good coloring, and I love the light-piped eyes here. Tail is horizontally-hinged in 4 places. The rubsign is on the upper left side of the dino chest, the only Classics figure sculpted to accomodate the rubsign sticker. I do wish the paint wash was everywhere rather than just upper body, the head can only raise and open jaw, cannot turn, and gun on back is doofy but the stalk isn't movable, also it's annoying that the hips aren't locked down. Transformation is decent but a little too much stuff getting in the way of other stuff, I do like the chest rotation gimmick though. Very annoyed with the tabs above the shoulders, they don't line up with the shoulders' notches on mine.

Bot mode looks big and tough by itself, but is actually not all that big next to other Deluxes. Head and chest feel somehow lesser-than, good but not "Classics" good, kind of plain and incomplete, and the light-piped visor just seems like such a step backwards in execution. Shoulders don't lock down which gets very annoying. Forearms are very fat, open from the top which sucks, ridiculously stubby and have the dino feet hanging off the back (why is it so common in the Classics line to just dump kibble off the forearms? Bumblebee, Astrotrain, Optimus, and now Grimlock, that's half the figs here); upper arms fare better but the screw holes in the shoulders are facing forwards. Legs look good although a lot of shell behind the inside of the legs, dino head as feet takes some getting used to. Weapons are alright but nothing great, they can be stowed on his back at the same time. Articulation is pretty good with head, shoulders, hinge-out mid-shoulders, swivel biceps, hinged elbows, rotating upper torso (though limited by kibble), ball-jointed hips, hinged knees, and the feet have some adjustability from transformation. There's lots of poseability, though most poses don't look as good as they could due to his blocky nature and tons of kibble.

Overall, a good figure with a few too many flaws to hold up as a shining beacon, certainly not the second coming of the Dinobots. He's an oddity, he's not a great display bot but he's also got some problems that might hinder play potential, so he's got fiddling potential but doesn't shine anywhere else. Best way to put it, he's middle-of-the-road... Grade: B-
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Movie Brawl, Barricade, & Bumblebee bot mode toy photos:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Transformers-...QQcmdZViewItem

Not seeing it at all with these bots, Bumblebee's legs auto-transform? That'd explain the gearing and the emptiness. Barricade's arms spring out, and I hate his arms, chest, and the head seems all wrong. Brawl's so fat and weird looking I can't even imagine him not being severely mistransformed in those shots, yet I fear he's not that far off.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thank you for posting the links to the pictures, JediTricks.

The next few venimous statements have nothing to do with JT. I am about to wail on these pieces of something-I-can't-type-here.

They suck @$$!

They eat #$#$!

I'd rather buy dog crap - at least I could throw the dog poo at someone I didn't like (or the movie screen on 7/04/07).

I'm not buying these.

And I'm proud to be an Alternator fan!

Make an Alternator out of Bumblebee with the 2007 Camarro license.

Repaint Wheeljack with a new head and make him Barricade (I don't care about the discrepancies, the former sculpt looks better than anything out of Michael Bay's movie).

Create a huge MPE of Brawl and articulate it right.

That's what I'll buy.

So far, I just hope I enjoy the movie, the story proponing that, not this new look for the Autobots and Decepticons.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Thoughts on the movie toys:

I generally like 'em. That police car woudl carry the day if not for the terrible looking lil' bot (Soundwave?). The tank is the least impressive, but provided it is not more than a deluxe, I will likely grab it. Bumblebee looks liek fun.

Oh, and the police car's hands look great.

On another note: Here are some Minicons musings.

For the last 4 years, Minicons have been a consistent presence in Transformer lines. Most recently, some fans have noted that Classics toys have hard-points for attaching Minicons. And, the idea of Minicons seems to have found a home in the Classics line, albeit as repacked toys that where initially slated for release in Cybertron.

The current Classics line has a number of toys with hard-points, and (as mentioned above) there are several Minicon teams sold under the Classics banner. However, these new Minicons lack the unified mechanics of the old Minicon teams. All told, this is a deterent, as the unified mechanics lent to the impression that the Minicons where a cohesive toy unto themselves, rather than simply 3 randomly packed toys.

Up until Cybertron, Minicon teams (sold in packs of 3) all had a unified mechanical aesthetic. (Note: Sometimes members of teams were recolored and sold seperately, most notably with the above mentioned Transmetals.) The following is a list of all Minicon teams released in the US, on a single card, throught he Cybertron line. (In other words, do not look for Blackout or Sparkplug on this list.) The primary category is mechanical gimmick, with the best team using that gimmick being listed first. Recolors are only listed seperately if the recolor is a different character, or has a new team designation.

---Armada---
    Combining: Team members are components of a larger toy.
    -Street Speed Team: 3 smaller 'bots merge into a fairly well balanced whole. Arguably the smallest merge team, with the combined bot being smaller than many scouts.
    -Air Assault/Air Defense Team: 3 jets merge into a sword with a near universally useable handle.
    -Space Team: A satellite, a rocket and a transport vehicle merge to form a rifle. Arguably, this team also incorporates firing a missile as a gimmick, but the dominant trait is still combining.
    Race Team/Road Assault Team: 3 race-track appropriate vehicles combine into either a shield or a glider (depending one which source one uses.
    Gears: Individual Minicons all have some kind of gimmick activated by a gear wheel.
    -Adventure Team: A snowplow, an off-road truck and a buggy. The truck has tiny shocks to prevent the gear from turning too far when the truck is being pushed forward.
    -Destruction Team: Three fanciful military/demolition vehicles.
    Articulation/Complexity: The designers attempted to design these toys to be comparable with larger ones.
    -Street Speed Team: 3 cars make up the the only time this gimmick was used in Armada. Despite innovative designs, the scale of the toys simply did not lend itself to the attempted complexity.
    Triplechanging: As the name implies, each Minicon has 3 forms, robot, vehicle, and equipment.
    -Air Military Team: 3 planes become weapons for larger Transformers
    -Rescue Team: same ideas as above, but using emergency/rescue vehicles.
    Firing Missiles: Using a varient of mechanisms, each toy had a firing weapon.
    -Land Military/Night Attack Team: 3 tanks using a variety of transforme aesthetics. One is also noteable for being complex for the scale.
    -Sea Team: 3 boats all w/ firing missiles.

---Energon---
    Combining:
    -Street Action Team: a newly redesigned variant of the previous characters to use this name.
    -Energon Saber: Re-tools of the Air Defense/Air Assualt teams, combining to form a sword.
    The Energon line also included repacked Sea and Adventure Teams on a combined card. Additionally, there was a recolor of the Space Team sold with a very rare Ultra Magnus toy. Aside from the Adventure and Sea Teams, all of the Energon teams where combiners.

---Cybertron---
    This marks the first time that Minicon teams did not all have a unified mechanical trait.
    Articulation/Complexity:
    -Street Speed Team: retools of the previous use of the names. There are some slight mechanical changes to the molds, making the toys a bit sturdier.
    Aesthetics:
    -Giant Planet Minicon Team: There are no unified mechanics on this team. But, there is a vague "large things made small" theme and a "land, sea and air" theme.
    no unified theme:
    -Recon Minicon Team/Shadow Recon Team: there is no apparent unified mechanism to these teams.
    There where also a number of double packs, each using 2 older Minicon molds from older teams.

Where the Giant Planet Minicons and the Recon Teams just a fluke, it would be one thing. But, it seems that the current standard for Minicons is to simply pack 3 vaguely related toys in one blister. In some cases, such as the Clear Skies Team, the aesthetics are only loosely unified. Ironically, the Minicons packaged under Classics lack the defining traits of the old Minicon teams.

It's the original test shot found from factory.... Woh!!!

I know it's too early to judge, but I'm not terribly excited (though it would take a brick of C-4 at this point) by the movie line. If those are "test shots" though, the paint may change. (Though test shots wouldn't be painted at all, so those are production samples maybe?)

Just the same... YAWN! I didn't know what to expect from Hasbro with this line, but it looks like they're not trying too terribly hard. Wonder if they think they can get away with a ho-hum line because it has a movie tie-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Guglieme View Post
    On another note: Here are some Minicons musings.
    That reminds me, I was looking at pics of Diaclones, and noticed/remembered how "Skids" came with a mini vehicle (a scooter.)
    plasticfetish.net

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish View Post
    Wonder if they think they can get away with a ho-hum line because it has a movie tie-in.
    I bet that's exactly what they're thinking. It's the price point for mass kid purchases, less "what they can get away with" (as far as low quality range).

Michael Bay's look for the robots isn't that inspiring in the first place unless they can produce $250 Transformers for adults with over 100 steps required to transform them (metal parts preferred). Then it wouldn't be inspiring in terms of the movie anyway, but a unique collectible curiousity nevertheless.

Anyway, I agree with PlasticFetish's asessment of the situation.

My thoughts are that if the movie is a hit (not necessarily good - but just large enough at the box office), Takara/Tomy/Hasbro might consider higher end versions of these bots (Alternators and MPEs) and then I might jump into the market.

We all know I need to say this for only the 100th time, but Barricade and Ironhide could be really inexpensive to alter some of the work they've already done, and with the Chevy license (see Tracks for one) doing BumbleBee as a 2007 Camarro seems natural for the Alternator line anyway.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Movie Scorponok toy painted sample pics:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280057587612

What is this, a "special needs" Transformer? This thing looks totally ridiculous, that face with the 4 bug eyes is laughable and that transformation seems pretty simplistic. The only thing that looks interesting to me is the spinning core.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom
    That police car woudl carry the day if not for the terrible looking lil' bot (Soundwave?).
    That'd be Frenzy, but I don't think it's him, I think it's part of his alt mode grill and not a stereo. I don't know how you can find anything positive to say about this ugly mess though, the hood may have an interesting transformation but the rest looks awful, whole halves of the car becoming arms?!? I'm shocked you're giving this Barricade figure any credit whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by PF
    If those are "test shots" though, the paint may change. (Though test shots wouldn't be painted at all, so those are production samples maybe?)
    These are definitely painted production samples, possibly even plucked from the active factory line.

Just the same... YAWN! I didn't know what to expect from Hasbro with this line, but it looks like they're not trying too terribly hard. Wonder if they think they can get away with a ho-hum line because it has a movie tie-in.
    Yeah, these entries really feel like a lost cause, Hasbro doesn't want to mimic too closely the movie style which I can relate to, but by half-arsing it like this they've just let it get sloppy and sad. I doubt they're phoning it in though.

I'm not seeing the mini vehicle in the video you linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    I bet that's exactly what they're thinking. It's the price point for mass kid purchases, less "what they can get away with" (as far as low quality range).
    I highly doubt it, these appear to be deluxes, the $10-$12 pricepoint, and these appear to have more paint apps and pieces than most other TF deluxes of the last 10 years. I suspect they're trying to do their best to get the most sales possible as this is their big chance.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Movie Scorponok toy painted sample pics:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280057587612

What is this, a "special needs" Transformer? This thing looks totally ridiculous, that face with the 4 bug eyes is laughable and that transformation seems pretty simplistic. The only thing that looks interesting to me is the spinning core.

That'd be Frenzy, but I don't think it's him, I think it's part of his alt mode grill and not a stereo. I don't know how you can find anything positive to say about this ugly mess though, the hood may have an interesting transformation but the rest looks awful, whole halves of the car becoming arms?!? I'm shocked you're giving this Barricade figure any credit whatsoever.

These are definitely painted production samples, possibly even plucked from the active factory line.

Yeah, these entries really feel like a lost cause, Hasbro doesn't want to mimic too closely the movie style which I can relate to, but by half-arsing it like this they've just let it get sloppy and sad. I doubt they're phoning it in though.

I'm not seeing the mini vehicle in the video you linked.

I highly doubt it, these appear to be deluxes, the $10-$12 pricepoint, and these appear to have more paint apps and pieces than most other TF deluxes of the last 10 years. I suspect they're trying to do their best to get the most sales possible as this is their big chance.
    I'd also like to comment that at BotCon they mentioned that the movie line would follow a similar conceit as the Beast Machines line, in that there would be multiple pricepoints for the same character. I anticipate this being the deluxe line, with larger, more complicated, more detailed figures to come.

The fact that Bumblebee doesn't have actual windows astounds me. I'm given hope only by what they said at Botcon. Because I've always been a fan of the movie designs.
    All Hail Darth Schmitsky!