Page 182 of 580 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192232282 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 5799
    Oh cool. I've got to get me one of those costumes so I can wear it to Target and Wal-Mart when I ask the employees if they've stocked the toys.

There I'll be wearing my Optimus Prime costume with that Blaster-Cannon role play toy and sniffing a Mouse Droid! I'll make an unforgetable impression to say the least!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I found 6" Titanium Rodimus Prime and Soundwave at TRU yesterday, unfortunately they're underwhelming in different ways.

Rodimus Prime has a very plasticky head with a soft sculpt based loosely off the G1 cartoon version, but the figure's body is only similar in general deco (colors, flame pattern, and pipes on the forearms), this is a beefier and rounder build. It's not a bad-looking figure from the front, minus the underwhelming head, but his body is designed so the upper body sits way further out than the waist and it looks weird, he's much better looking with his body leaning back so his shoulders are nearly over his hips - this also hides his biggest flaw, that being his torso is empty behind the chest plate, it's like the design called for the front to slide backwards to meet the back and they just forgot to build that part. His backpack also bugs me in that the windshield part moves too easily. Articulation is alright, strong and a few extra points that have use like the lower arm and knee swivels and transformation joints letting the shoulder shrug, but his knees only bend 1 click back. The yellow used for the flames is a might gaudy here, it should have been the orangier tone on the helmet's crest. The rifle is a black and silver version of the G1 accessory, with a very long thin peg because he has thick forearms that'd get in the way of a normal-length peg.

Transformation is clever in theory but floppy and lacks finesse, with the end result being underwhelming (there's that word again). Vehicle mode is like a fat little take on the G1 version. The gun can store on the underside of the rear section in a clever way. One of the problems is that the front half doesn't align very cleanly, everything feels a tiny bit out of whack even when it's not loose. The chest makes up the front end and it's hollow from the side in an unpleasant way, and doesn't align with the windshield quite right. Overall, I don't hate it, but it could have been better in so many areas. Grade: C

Soundwave is a pretty short figure in the line at just 5.5", he'd be taller if his legs held in their telescoped positions better, but then his arms would be too short. He's a lot of die-cast though with the big lower legs, forearms, and main torso all metal. His body takes a lot of visual cues from the G1 figure but isn't as wide and flat, however he's also stockier and it does sorta balance that out. The head is like a slightly-stylized version of the G1 toy, it lacks the nose and the gold visor is just an angled slit now. The figure's hips slide up naturally and this looks better than if they had stayed down, the diaper-effect isn't as bad in person but the crotch does extend too far. It seems like the waist piece decending was supposed to slide up and they just left that feature out. Colors are solid with dark blue, silver, red, even the gold and clear purple chest. The dark blue eats some of the sculpted details, and there's a black line on the middle of the inner lower leg that's totally lost against dark blue. The external tape-box chest works better than it deserves really. His weapons are nifty, black and silver batteries, one plugs into his shoulder and has the multi-rocket look of the original, the other is a handgun and the barrel slides out from inside, each weapon has a plus and minus sign like a battery would, and they can be stowed on his back. In bot mode, Laserbeak is black with red, a very simplified version of the original without its accessories, the head and wings are movable, and the claws can hold onto tabs on either of Soundwave's shoulders.

Transformation is simple but I think it's just enough to be pleasing. The arms and legs telescope in, the arms and head fold back and then the waist splits to become the speakers. The alt mode is really small and compact, heavy and mainly solid. It translates a little better than I was expecting, but still not that good with the arms doing a poor job acting as the battery hatch (no battery door really hurts this). There are a few tape deck details like the volume wheel and controls, but it's not as much as the original. Again the external tape hatch gets away with itself better than it should. Blue dominates this mode way more than the G1 toy. Laserbeak becomes a black with red lines rectangle, there's no pretense of cassette here, but he does fit in Soundwave's chest box.

Soundwave's disappointments are found in kibble around the fists meant to hide them in alt mode but they do a poor job there and are just ugly, they wouldn't be so annoying if they actually did their job better though. Then there's the lower torso/waist/crotch visual situation. But the biggest failures are largely in the legs: the hips are badly designed so they pop out often and droop, the knees can only be straight or bent around 75 degrees and nothing in between, the middle of the legs telescope in way too easily, and the separate feet don't hold the figure up too well.

Still, Soundwave has character and gets away with far more than he deserves in that alone. Even still, I can't give him anything over a "C". Grade: C
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

wow, that's pretty generous of a grade for Titanium Soundwave, JT

i'm thinking more of a C-/D no thanks to the easily telescoped legs and huge lower groin area.

A "C" for Rodimus sounds about right...what really brings the figure down in my opinion is all the hollow space behind the chest. from the side, it's just ghastly and from the front, it causes the backpack fins to be too far from the head.

The latest word is that Hasbro is going to import MPE 05 Megatron from Takara and make sure that orange tips or any other recoloring is done at the factory.

So I want to list something again (is this indicative that I might have slight autism?)

MPE 01 - Hasbro brings Prime in for mass-market retail.
    MPE 02 - Hasbro does not bother with Takaras repaint that calls it Ultra Magnus
    MPE 03 - Hasbro doesn't deal with weak plasitic and materials issues with Starscream
    MPE 04 - Takara ops for a Prime re-release with trailer, Hasbro goes for talking base
    MPE 05 - It would appear that Hasbro is importing and recoloring Megatron.

MPE 06 - rumors are still out there that the line will continue and this will be Grimlock
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

picked up the TRU exclusive Soundwave as well as the Titanium version as well. The TRU version brings back memories of haveing go old Soundwave and Optimus battling it out for control of the universe. wasn't a big fan of the Megatron toy since it looked horrible in robot mode so Soundwave became to new baddie to defeat. I remember having Soundwave with all the cassettes transformed and Optimus leading a army with all the Autobot cassettes.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

This is the first movie toy review/photo set I've seen that have made me interested in the toys. It's Voyager-size Ironhide and it's got a neo-RID quality, if only it didn't have that fugly head. http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=124782

The other toys so far haven't excited me much, but this looks more promising. Transformation looks as busy as an Alternator. I feel almost dirty for even considering it though.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    wow, that's pretty generous of a grade for Titanium Soundwave, JT

i'm thinking more of a C-/D no thanks to the easily telescoped legs and huge lower groin area.
    I can see that, in terms of pure functionality it does weaken the score, but his consistent look I feel brings it back to life. If he had a weaker sculpt and crazier colors, I would have given him a "D" for sure, but I think his look holds up for the character and his accessories sweeten the pot.

A "C" for Rodimus sounds about right...what really brings the figure down in my opinion is all the hollow space behind the chest. from the side, it's just ghastly and from the front, it causes the backpack fins to be too far from the head.
    Yeah, it really is problematic. That, the not-totally-fit alt mode, and the soft head sculpt I feel doom it to mediocrity. However, the chest thing does look considerably better if you lean him back at the waist slightly (bend the knees too), once the shoulders are closer to parallel with the hips it makes him look like he's got a real chest and the empty stuff is just backpack.

The news on MP-05 Megatron is mixed, supposedly this is being done so Hasbro can import them, but it may never happen. However, with the plug it *should* lower the import cost slightly. If I can get it for $90 or less out of pocket, I probably will.

DA, glad to hear you got and dig G1 Soundwave reissue. How many stickers do you have to apply on the set?

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    The news on MP-05 Megatron is mixed, supposedly this is being done so Hasbro can import them, but it may never happen. However, with the plug it *should* lower the import cost slightly. If I can get it for $90 or less out of pocket, I probably will.
    Haha. The thread on MP-05 Megatron over at TFW2005 got closed - too many "terrorists" posting about how they plan to circumnavigate US gun laws while using foul language and plotting other criminal activities.

Note to JediTricks: the infamous Tycho had nothing to do with this one. (I behave myself on [most] other sites)

Honestly, the photo or Photoshop job they had in their thread of Megatron with orange tips on his barrel and sighting scope really didn't look that bad. We've yet to see an official packaged product picture (unaltered), but there was still fear of Hasbro painting him green and purple! (I'd say it's within the realm of realistic possibilities).

So the rumor is, the Hasbro version will show up in US retail stores like TRU and Wal-Mart. I guess we'll see.

If you want to break the law, the orange plug is the best for you because you can just drill it back out. With the paint you'd have to repaint it (or be damn good at stripping paint).

I got G1 Soundwave today, and it hasn't been since I got my '85 Snake Eyes a couple years ago that I feel so much like a kid again.

I didn't have a lot of money growing up, so the only time I saw Soundwave in person was on a playground at school, so I wasn't too familiar with anything other than what he looked like. I'd always been vaguely curious where the giant cylinders came from, what they were, and where they stored in his cassette deck mode, but I've never stopped to think about it. They're batteries! And you can actually place them inside him! Nice! It's always nice to have Ravage and Laserbeak, too. It looks like a lot of thought went into that toy.

I'll have to put him on the shelf with Prime and the recent keychains of G1 Bumblebee and friends, but right now he's at work with me (first chance I've had to open him), dealing with hotel guests and the storm.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

Two things:

No more Alternators.
    http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW/sightings.html

(I can hear Tycho sobbing now.)

As for Soundwave, Phan, you got a better toy now than you would have as a kid, so do not waste time mourning the past.

Your Soundwave can hold 2 tapes. The original Soundwave could only hold one. (The toy we are seeing now is based on a later Japanese recolor that was modified to hold multiple tapes.)

I have been meaning to get one, but I do not live near a TrU anymore, so........

My only real gripe with the re-issue is not so much about Soundwave, but 2a few toys that will likely not get made.

For whatever reason, Hasbro seems reluctant to use the Frenzy/Rumble molds. So, between that, and the fact Hasbro is unlikely to ever release a new Buzzsaw, we are unlikely to ever get all of Soundwave's original tapes. (Granted, you could hunt for good copies of old toys, but I would rather buy them new.)

And, never mind the prospects of gettng later tapes.