Page 196 of 595 FirstFirst ... 96146186192193194195196197198199200206246296 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 5945
  1. #1951
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Don't hand me that bull, Starscream wasn't just 60% as tall as Megs in the cartoon, they did this because of budget.
    Takara's budget? But Cybertronian key-feature Starscream was huge. I'm not sure why MPE couldn't have been made so in that case. It's a high-end collectible and you charge what needs to be charged for it.

    But the Alternators weren't that much smaller than Prime, so there's no logic to that.
    The MPE Prime - and yeah, they're a lot smaller. But the sizing is about right if you use your MPE Prime with the Alts.

    Let me stop you right there: no.
    "We'll see!" [Tycho says with rebellious dissent]
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  2. #1952

    MPE-05 Megatron Quick Review

    Okay, so I pre-ordered MPE-05 Megatron from BigBadToyStore when it was first announced and forgot. Then I got an E-mail announcing that it was on its way to me and it was a bitter sweet message. Did I even still want him, after what everyone else had said about him?

    Well, with nary a choice about it, I received him on Friday and I have some thoughts.

    First of all, whoa is this guy tough to transform. I mean, after doing it a few times it definitely makes sense and you think, "Wow, that's some engineering genius a little bit", but in the beginning, going from the pictures in the instructions, it's more like "You want me to do what with the what now?" It is, however, strikingly similar to the G1 figures transformation. For the most part, it's just tweaked to reach the visage of the Megs we all know and love.

    But those tweaks are significant enough to require very special attention to those instructions. There are two points where I'm constantly afraid I'm going to break something. The first is connecting and disconnectiong Megs' firing arm - the one with the heavy cannon (and boy is it heavy - more on that later). I think, because the arm is going to be a weight bearing joing, they required a tighter connection between the shoulder and the torso. Unfortunately, that tighter connection makes it seem like you're forcing two things apart that don't want to be apart (like Britney and controlled substances) or you're forcing two things together that don't want to be together (like Britney and rehab). The second point is the first step in transforming from gun-robot or the the last step in transforming from robot-gun - the former leg assembly hooks into the bottom of the former torso assembly to complete the handle/barrel marraige. Unfortuntately, the hooks with which these two parts meet are small and fragile. Unable to make sense of the directions (until it was too late) I thought the two parts snapped together. In reality, it's more like the hook or slide into one another. So, I'd put more force on one of the hooks then it was meant to bear and *snap* - it broke off. Not a big deal, actually, because there are multiple connections and the rest of them are strong, but it's annoying to have that happen right out of the gate on such an expensive figure. On the one hand, though, that connection isn't really needed. On the other hand, now she ain't so minty fresh. Am I complaining that the hook was there to begin with, that the hook was so weak, or that the instructions mislead me? Who cares, complaining feels good and I'm feeling better.

    Aesthetically, Robot Megatron looks much better up close than in the pictures we've seen. Without the Fusion Cannon on his arm, he's actually in pretty good proportion. The lower legs bulk up as part of the transformation, he's got strong die-cast feet, his face/head look good, and his hands have nice articulation. Comparing him to the animation pics in the booklet and on the box, it's a very good likeness, with only the most minor of deviations. That said, the lack of waist articulation does limit his poses and I'm having trouble coming up with a nice looking action pose that doesn't make him look constipated. But he's got multiple hip and knee joints to make up for it and his arms have all the joints they need (although the shoulder joint is a bit limited), and if he's just standing strong, he looks damn good. Now, add on the heavy Fusion Cannon, and the aesthetics change slightly. Yes - it's huge. It looks enormous on his arm, but it's not so terrible that it overshadows the other really cool things about him. The arm joint is also strong enough to hold the cannon up. Really, the size difference between the cannon and the way it's portrayed on the cartoon is only just noticeable and probably wouldn't be commented on at all if not for the fact that the first figure in this line was the irreproachable Masterpiece Convoy. I truly believe this is the best we could've hoped for in a Masterpiece Megatron, at least until they actually figure out how to make our toys mass-shift.

    The gun mode is well done and even has a safety switch, but it's oversized. Which, frankly, has the strange affect of making me remember what it was like to be a kid when everything was too big for my hands. At any rate, the gun looks almost exactly like what an oversized WP38 would, and since it would have to be oversized for the robot to be this size, it's acceptable. Hmm...I wonder if I found a way to attach G1 Megatron's cannon to MPE Megatron's arm, would it look proportional?

    Anywho, The accessories are awesome and all of them interact with Megatron very well, with the exception of the energy morning star. That chain is too long. I've taken some string and folded it up in half and tied the chain links at both ends together and it looks much better.

    My last comment is on the dreaded orange plug. It's dreaded and it's orange, but aside from that, it's not much of anything. It barely changes the appearance of the figure and therefore barely changes his appeal. I would like to know if anyone tries to remove the barrel plug, though. If it's easy enough and doesn't cause damage, I would do it. But at the risk of causing damage, it's not worth it. For all the folks paying a premium for an unmodded Megs, you may find yourself disappointed. For anyone who is on the fence about this figure, your mileage may vary. If you think you'll regret not adding a nemesis for MPE Prime to face off with on your toy shelf, I think this is a great figure to add to your collection. If you think you could go either way and only want the most perfect $100 toys if you're going to spend that much, you might want to pass. I wasn't sure I wanted him and he was on his way to me before I could say "no", but I'm glad I have him and I don't, ultimately, regret the purchase.
    All Hail Darth Schmitsky!

  3. #1953
    I really thank you for your review ChaddyMac.

    I'm taking that into full account, having memorized your words! It's true.

    I'm going to go to my comic book shop and look at this toy which they ordered and see if that helps me make up my mind any.

    I have no doubt I'm going to order MPE 06 Skywarp, but Megatron still gives me some pause.

    I also don't like a disproportionate alt mode I can never display with my other Transformers (because of the fictional mass shifting), so that is another strike against him on my scoresheet.

    I would love for there to be a MPE Megatron in his Cybertronian jet form from the new movie, or something else cool like that (if they fix up his face a little bit so he looks like Megatron and not Michael Bay's $#@!)
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  4. #1954
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Takara's budget? But Cybertronian key-feature Starscream was huge. I'm not sure why MPE couldn't have been made so in that case. It's a high-end collectible and you charge what needs to be charged for it.
    Cybertron's Supreme Starscream is a MUCH simpler design across the board, it's transformation is way more simplistic, it's tolerances are much lower in sculpt and assembly, and it had an active cartoon tie-in which lessened the risk. That last part is another HUGE difference, the Cybertron figure was marketed to kids who are in far greater number and have far less discerning tastes than adult collectors, whom the Starscream piece was tailored for.

    The MPE Prime - and yeah, they're a lot smaller. But the sizing is about right if you use your MPE Prime with the Alts.
    It's a huge stretch to make that claim.


    Nice post Chaddy. I've heard that complaint about the shoulder joint before so it seems to be very consistent, same with the overly-long chain on the mace. Surprised to hear the fusion cannon isn't as overwhelming as it seems, I will have to see this in person to believe it.

    I've read the plug is removable from the barrel, it just slides out, but that'd make it noncompliant with the US law on the matter ("permanently-affixed" is the language referring to the blaze-orange plug) so I don't see how that can be.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  5. #1955
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I've read the plug is removable from the barrel, it just slides out, but that'd make it noncompliant with the US law on the matter ("permanently-affixed" is the language referring to the blaze-orange plug) so I don't see how that can be.
    He transforms from non-compliant to legal and then back again


    Re: Starscream:
    the Cybertron figure was marketed to kids who are in far greater number and have far less discerning tastes than adult collectors, whom the Starscream piece was tailored for.
    As an adult, I only have a mint-loose MPE Starscream because I transformed it (taking an hour to be so careful with the delicate parts) once and posed him, and don't move him very much at all since then. Fact 1: I refuse to transform him back to a jet again. That's not to "my discerning taste" - that's a desire to not have to repurchase a product that shouldn't have this shortcoming. Fact 2: I'm most interested in Skywarp, so I can probably leave him as a fighter jet when creating a Transformer diorama of sorts (though I occasionally transform my Alts or MPE Prime because they are not so delicate).

    It's a huge stretch to make that claim.
    I will have Johnny Cochran contact you and submit his "Wookiee Defense."

    For the moment, I ask you to consider that MPE Prime is a good size to go with the Alternators because Chewbacca fought on Endor with the Ewoks, and then he celebrated on Endor with the Ewoks, but Chewbacca is a Wookiee. I ask you where were the Wookiees? Chewbacca is a Wookiee, but there are Ewoks on Endor. That does not make sense. If Ewoks are on Endor and Chewbacca is a Wookiee, but Chewbacca is on Endor, your argument does not make any sense. Therefore you must conclude that your opinion of Optimus Prime and the Alternators does not make any sense.

    Dude, I'm good!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  6. #1956
    Fact 1: I refuse to transform him back to a jet again. That's not to "my discerning taste" - that's a desire to not have to repurchase a product that shouldn't have this shortcoming.
    You have the most amazing ability to make no sense whatsoever. Honestly, what the hell are you talking about, how does that have jack squat to do with the adult collectors' discerning taste? I was talking about the type of toys kids are willing to buy, they aren't as discerning in refinement.

    I will have Johnny Cochran contact you and submit his "Wookiee Defense."
    Johnny Cochran is dead, and that was one of SP's early flops.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  7. #1957
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    You have the most amazing ability to make no sense whatsoever.
    Thank you!

    Honestly, what the hell are you talking about, how does that have jack squat to do with the adult collectors' discerning taste?
    I'd suspect that adults would still like to buy Transformers that they aren't afraid to transform for fear of breaking them. Chaddymac's accident with MPE Megatron would seriously tick me off if I paid that much for the figure only to have even the smallest part crack. That's why I fear playing with Starscream.

    I was talking about the type of toys kids are willing to buy, they aren't as discerning in refinement.
    That's funny. That's what I thought about the rest of you guys who bought the RiD, Cybertron, BeastMachines, WarWithin, and all that crap that wasn't G1.

    Alternators Rule!

    Johnny Cochran is dead, and that was one of SP's early flops.
    Johnny Cochran is on Endor. This is because Chewbacca fought on Endor with the Ewoks, and then he celebrated on Endor with the Ewoks, but Chewbacca is a Wookiee. I ask you where were the Wookiees? Chewbacca is a Wookiee, but there are Ewoks on Endor. That does not make sense. If Ewoks are on Endor and Chewbacca is a Wookiee, but Chewbacca is on Endor, that's why Johnny Cochran is on Endor.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  8. #1958
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Thank you!



    I'd suspect that adults would still like to buy Transformers that they aren't afraid to transform for fear of breaking them. Chaddymac's accident with MPE Megatron would seriously tick me off if I paid that much for the figure only to have even the smallest part crack. That's why I fear playing with Starscream.



    That's funny. That's what I thought about the rest of you guys who bought the RiD, Cybertron, BeastMachines, WarWithin, and all that crap that wasn't G1.

    Alternators Rule!



    Johnny Cochran is on Endor. This is because Chewbacca fought on Endor with the Ewoks, and then he celebrated on Endor with the Ewoks, but Chewbacca is a Wookiee. I ask you where were the Wookiees? Chewbacca is a Wookiee, but there are Ewoks on Endor. That does not make sense. If Ewoks are on Endor and Chewbacca is a Wookiee, but Chewbacca is on Endor, that's why Johnny Cochran is on Endor.
    dude, when is it going to enter your fanboy firewalled head that Alternators are deader than even the SW Ultra Titaniums?

    Hasbro does have pretty deep pockets but they're still a business and not your personal toy genie ready to grant you whatever toys you might wish.

  9. #1959
    Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    dude, when is it going to enter your fanboy firewalled head that Alternators are deader than even the SW Ultra Titaniums?
    Takara-Tomy is issuing a transparent "cloaked" Mirage over in Japan / Hong Kong. Much like Hasbro had hologram figures for Star Wars, don't you think that if Alternators die, they can release their "ghost figures" in transparent plastic?

    Hasbro does have pretty deep pockets but they're still a business and not your personal toy genie ready to grant you whatever toys you might wish.
    I'm not hearing you. I'm not hearing you.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  10. #1960
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post

    I'm not hearing you. I'm not hearing you.
    search your feelings....you know it to be true

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO