Page 212 of 581 FirstFirst ... 112162202208209210211212213214215216222262312 ... LastLast
Results 2,111 to 2,120 of 5809
    Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    haven't actually tried the decoder message yet.
    Remember the part in "A Christmas Story" where he used his orphan Annie decoder ring?

Yeah, it's that kind of a message.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Don't even need the decoder really, they can be read with the naked eye.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Season 2 has a broader scope, but they do start getting a tad esoteric - although I'd argue they did a great job using the esoteric elements to cover up the "look, new toys to buy!!!" elements.

What parts of the overall in season 2 do you find fan-wankery? I haven't watched in a long time, so I'm remembering only the "feel" of season 2.
    Season 2 starter relying too much on Generation 1, and treating it as a good unto itself. Looking back on it, this was the start of the insularity that now plagues the franchise. Having a broad scope does not make something well written, but it can cover a lack of ideas.

Savage/Noble being the first toy that doesn't live up to the character in my mind, literally it was instantaneous.

Whereas I'm the opposite, I found BM to be almost unbearable but thought highly of the toys.
    I disliked the toys of show characters because they did not translate well from animation to plastic. The show was flawed, but had more focused and intelligent writing than most of Beast Wars and Generation 1. (I think the fact it was so focused did not leave much room for fan-fic is one of the things that alienated most fans.)

The non-show toys had some appeal though.

I was with you until the Bay design praise. You like the CGI bots, or do you just mean the Hasbro interpretations of them? I can understand the latter, not so much the former.
    Most of the visual associations I have are based on the toys and line-art from the comics. I figure they are pretty close to the movie, right? The CGI stuff I have seen I do like though. The less fan-wankery, the better.

I bought Scorponok today. He seems to be the right size to go with my Alts. I haven't opened him yet. He's actually out in my truck. But I might just keep him - but never transform him.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

That's probably a good idea, I've heard its not a good idea to TF him. :P

Got all the Robot Heroes, minus the WM set and the last two (which I don't think are out yet). They're fantabulous! Ravage is such a cute and cuddwy widdle bloodthirsty saboteur.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Got all the Robot Heroes, minus the WM set and the last two (which I don't think are out yet). They're fantabulous! Ravage is such a cute and cuddwy widdle bloodthirsty saboteur.
    I heard they are showing up in limited quanties in some areas.

The same thing that happened with the Spider-Man SHS Doc Ock and Rhino sets.

The only set I have not seen is the one with Prime and Unicron. I want that one, hopefully will find it if not soon then when I go to the comic con in Charlotte next weekend.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Check out what I noticed, the company who makes the actual Buffalo vehicle, Force Protection, if you look carefully at the claw in their main pic of the Buffalo, it's sporting a Decepticon logo: http://www.forceprotection.net/models/buffalo/

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    For me, BM was bearable - i would actually stay in every sat. morning to watch. i think i only have 3 toys from the line - Deluxe Jetstorm, Blackarachnia and Optimus Primal. i'm not sure why i never got Thrust or Tankor.
    Thrust was interesting but flawed (Cycle Drone was awesome though). Tankor(r) was da bomb though, that is one of the coolest figures from the era (Tank Drone rules too).

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Guglieme View Post
    Season 2 starter relying too much on Generation 1, and treating it as a good unto itself. Looking back on it, this was the start of the insularity that now plagues the franchise. Having a broad scope does not make something well written, but it can cover a lack of ideas.
    I don't think there's anything wrong per se with looking back to one's roots, and I don't think Season 2 really went too far with it, it felt organic to the nature of Megatron's mission in the first place, Megs went back in time to that location for that specific purpose after all.

I disliked the toys of show characters because they did not translate well from animation to plastic. The show was flawed, but had more focused and intelligent writing than most of Beast Wars and Generation 1. (I think the fact it was so focused did not leave much room for fan-fic is one of the things that alienated most fans.)
    Sounds a lot like your description of the prequels.

The non-show toys had some appeal though.
    I dug the figures in general, both show and non-show, I didn't mind that they didn't match so long as they were cool - one of the perks of not being tied into characterization so much.

Most of the visual associations I have are based on the toys and line-art from the comics. I figure they are pretty close to the movie, right? The CGI stuff I have seen I do like though.
    The toys don't really look much like the movie, but you like the CGI you've seen so I guess that doesn't matter.

The less fan-wankery, the better.
    Change for change's sake does not make it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I bought Scorponok today. He seems to be the right size to go with my Alts. I haven't opened him yet. He's actually out in my truck. But I might just keep him - but never transform him.
    And then I lost all respect for Tycho.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Tycho, you gotta be kidding me! of all the new TF's to get, you buy Scorponok???

Truth be told, i actually held one in my hands while at Target, contemplating on whether to purchase or not. I thought it might look good displayed with my Beast Wars TF's but the bot mode was just too bizzarre and I didn't like the scorpion leg kibble on the legs.

I don't know if any of you have played the "capture the cube" game on the Mountain Dew TF promo site but even that transforming Mountain Dew machine would've been a better toy than Scorps.

Since JT says Bonecrusher isn't bad, i'll check it out tomorrow at the stores and decide if i want one or not.