Page 386 of 586 FirstFirst ... 286336376382383384385386387388389390396436486 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,860 of 5857
    MP Grimmy - http://www.yakface.com/Features/toyf...images/30.html

Only Generations slideshow pic I see is Straxus. TFW2k5 is reporting that the name didn't pass legal, so weird.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Finally got the page of the Yakface pics to load. I'm going to definitely, definitely, definitely have to get Straxus. I'm not as excited about him as I am Teek, but I've been waiting, what, 24 years for Straxus.

Truth be told, I'm far more excited about the SDCC exclusive GIJoe figure, if their hints are correct....
    Tommy, close your eyes.

TFW2k5 has live pics from the booth, and War for Cybertron figs look cool! Man, if they had kept that garbage kibble off Bumblebee's forearms, he'd be the best 'Bee I've seen in a decade.

OMG! OMG!! The first Power Core Combiner 5-figure seems to be... yes, it's Bruticus! And Superion!
    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...isplay-169158/

The hints are correct, there's a pic of ol' Sarge on the Yak page.

Sorry I didn't attach the Straxus pic, it didn't occur to me at the time. Glad you saw it and dig it though. I think it looks pretty boss, and I don't know squat about Lord Straxus.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Classics (or Generations I should say) Thrust!!! I wish I hadn't bought ROTF Thrust now.

I struck out yet again trying to find TFA Cybertron Ratchet and Arcee today.

Today I received HA Barricade, Voyager Bludgeon, and SWTF CW Y-wing and Twilight.

I just opened up the Y-wing, figured I'd start with the weakest first. From alt mode, it's got the mark of suck upon it. I stick it out though, and about a third of the way through transformation it starts to get interesting, little clever stuff. By the end, there's a jet-pack (made from blatant kibble, but still) and a decent proportioned Clone Pilot robot, and a few more clever bits, and flip-out holsters with removable pistols in them! The bot mode is nearly charming! I'm shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Today I received HA Barricade, Voyager Bludgeon, and SWTF CW Y-wing and Twilight.

I just opened up the Y-wing, figured I'd start with the weakest first. From alt mode, it's got the mark of suck upon it. I stick it out though, and about a third of the way through transformation it starts to get interesting, little clever stuff. By the end, there's a jet-pack (made from blatant kibble, but still) and a decent proportioned Clone Pilot robot, and a few more clever bits, and flip-out holsters with removable pistols in them! The bot mode is nearly charming! I'm shocked.
    Funny thing is that I got that CW Y-Wing TF as well. It rang up at only $6.99 at Target so I figured why not. Twilight was regular price however.

I liked it too, enough for a B+.

My jaw dropped at that price, nice get.

The Y-wing / Pilot has the hardest-to-move hip joints I've ever seen, for a while I thought just the hinges below the hips were the movable parts. But no, he's got real hip joints.

Here's my 411 on the others.

The Twilight gets away with murder, it shouldn't be as nifty as it is. It's not weathered even a little, but it looks right in every other respect, and the only kibble is the exposed right arm folded up on the bottom and the left hand, as well as the semi-visible R2-D2. It's nifty and whooshable. The outrigger cannon actually rotates, and the lower wing really pivots (the upper cannon doesn't pivot but is removable). Transformation is unusual, starting with de-legoforming 2 blasters, R2, and the shield made from the outer wing. Then panels start moving and folding and stuff is sliding, it's unusual, and at the end is an odd but somewhat satisfying figure. If one side of the chest locked the way the other did, it'd be considerably better, and there's a bit of a kibble battle on the arms, but it's not too bad. The head is a stylistic choice I'm not sure about, the deco plus the sculpt makes it a tough one to decide about, but it kind of works its way through that. Having 2 guns, a lightsaber, a shield, and a robot buddy is easily the most accessories any non-Death Star figure in the line has got to date. It's top charm is it really is an Action Fleet-quality ship, and as a SWTF it's fair plus a little different from the norm.

Bludgeon is wild, very cool. The alt mode is decent, nice tank mode, although the tank barrel doesn't quite go straight because it's a sword handle and comes out of the factory slightly bent. Transformation is involved and awkward at first, but more straightforward the second time around. The one sticking point is the midsection, it's just REALLY difficult to move forward or back. The bot mode is precisely what it intends to be, but that also means it has intentional kibble (samurai armor is tough to deal with in toys), the tiny heelspurs, and the hands not having more articulation does put a damper on the fun. The automorph knife sheath reveal is easily one of the most entertaining and detailed things they've done with the concept. And having the long sword (which IMO is too long) and knife slip into slots on the hip armor is really nifty too. All in all, quite nifty.

HA Barricade. Alt mode is very nice. The most effort to date has been made to create a realistic interior, odd since the driver is the only non-human so far. Kibble is confined to the back, visible from the sides and rear below the fenders and bumper. Deco is pretty good. Frenzy is pretty odd stuff, too bulky to really work as the character, red eyes, rubbery parts, and the same odd HA figure articulation but used in weird ways. He can be folded up and stored in the engine bay, not as efficiently as the Deluxe figure but cleaner.

Transformation starts ugly, the first step is "PULL EVERYTHING SIDEWAYS" basically, more car gets pulled away than the deluxe even, which is saying a lot. From there it's a lot of limb and panel unfolding. It's simplistic really, but keeps stuff moving just enough to hide that and not feel like a waste.

Bot mode is the epitome of frustration, it seems like the sculpting isn't that fine, but it is. It seems like it's not that accurate, yet it is. It suffers a bunch of the same problems as the deluxe figure: There's another hollow chest issue on display. The arms are just a big mass of folded up side of car. One of the hands is basically non-existant due to the springing death-wheel gimmick. And most of all, the hips and legs are beyond problematic. The legs seem impossible to work with thanks to the INTENTIONAL FAILURE OF DESIGN known as the hips, they actually lock out the normal hip configuration, making the hip rotation at a downward 45 degree angle, which is UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY USELESS. There's a mountain of leg articulation, and all of it is rendered unusable by the unholy hip design. But with a lot of patience, with some faith that the designers know what they were intending and the instruction writers missed it, with the ability to look past the obvious and dig really deep into the true spirit of a TransFan, perseverance can realize an attractive, triumphant, powerful, BALANCED pose that goes a long way towards redeeming this figure. What do you have to do? Throw out everything you believe about an action figure hip, go the exact opposite, so that the thighs SEEM to be going knock-kneed, and then rotate the lower thigh in a way that seems like it'll flunk, and voila, the disaster that was the Hasbro way is turned into the genius that is the Takara intentions. Yes, the figure still has long kibbly arms, yes his left hand doesn't exist without massive imagination for no reason whatsoever, and yes his head is too narrow. All that is entirely true. But now he looks GOOD doing it, he looks like a robot should, the legs are long and look proportionate against the upper body, the lower legs are under him instead of in front of him, the figure can stand tall and really look right for the first time in any Barricade toy's life. I will post pics tomorrow comparing them because it's IMPORTANT to fans to know what it can be.

What else is going on with Barricade? He's got a fold-out mortar launcher on the shoulder, it's not really disguised at all so there's almost no reason to fold it out, the gimmick is especially labored for the Frenzy interaction. There's 2 fold-out guns under the chest, Frenzy sticks out of the chest cavity and puts his hands near them (the handles are angled oddly, there may be a way to get him to hold them but I don't see it). His left... hand? No, it's not a hand. His left non-hand springs out at the push of the gas cap to become a wheel with 4 flat fingers on either side, then you can spread the fingers into blades (they have unique stops to make an easy equidistant spread) thus having his signature spinny blade, but it's a ways out in front. Frenzy can stand behind his head for no reason, all Master Blaster style. Barricade's eyes are light-piped purple Oh, and he's got a muppet-mouth. Yes, his lower jaw remains still while the rest of his head can move up and down, and he's got sculpted lines to be teeth inside, it mostly works. The jaw isn't stuck, it can move up too, it just has more resistance than the head.

There are a few gaps but surprisingly they can be smoothed over by moving parts only a little. The back kibble isn't so overwhelming as the previous figure either. He's pretty solid and decently articulated, although the hips and legs require creativity for movement - if you've played with Playmates' Star Trek The Next Generation figures with their V-crotches, this is the same thing. The waist is articulation, but it's a SUPER tough joint to the point where I wasn't initially sure it was supposed to move - but it has full range and no transformational purpose, so it is supposed to. The figure is very locked together, tight connections, nothing flops about or really gets in the way once you figure it all out. It's not even that kibbly, from a certain point of view.

Initially, before I realized how the legs could be done "right", this Barricade figure was pretty low, maybe a "D" grade. Once I was able to fix a clear issue that had haunted the original deluxe figure as well, it was easier to smooth out other little issues and see it for what it was meant to be. It still has flaws and frustrations, and I need to spend more time with it to decide how I feel, but it's definitely above "C" grade, somewhere between "C+ and "B".

I can't believe I wasted an hour writing this.

I can, and for that, I thank you
    All Hail Darth Schmitsky!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddymac View Post
    I can, and for that, I thank you
    You're welcome?

I made a correction. The statement about the XMO: Wolverine figures wasn't accurate, that's what made me think of it for the alternate transformation, but as soon as my head hit the pillow last night I knew what this was - it's a V-crotch design. It's been so long since figures used that design that I forgot all about it. Normally, it's used to make an organic limb look more natural, so using it on a Transformer is really odd. But it works, considering that's what it is.

Once I've woken up a little more, I'll take the comparison photos of the height. I took a look at the official Hasbro photo and the legs are half an inch shorter at least and all bunched up.

For the LAists out there, Burbank Target had Mindwipe and Bludgeon and the Ratchet/Lockdown wave. I got the only Mindwipe for a friend. A few of everything else left.
    All Hail Darth Schmitsky!