Page 517 of 586 FirstFirst ... 17417467507513514515516517518519520521527567 ... LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,170 of 5852
    Grimlock is a piece of crap. I hate to say it, but he's no better than the Classics Deluxe from several years ago. In robot mode, he's a bit gappy and lacking in a full range of articulation. Conversion involves a few moves that are similar to the original, but it's somewhat difficult to turn his robot arms into T-rex legs and position them properly, oddly enough. I can't get him to not look bow-legged. Also, his entire stomach is hollow, which makes him useless to display in any position aside from his profile. And his plastic is really low-quality. (The Joes have also had a noticeable drop in plastic quality, but they've been able to work around it for the most part so it's not such a distraction.)

Oh, but his mouth lights up when you press a button!!!!1!!!!

It might seem like I'm judging him harshly, particularly by comparing him to much-loathed Classics Grimlock, but I expect a lot more from Hasbro in 2013 than I did in 2006 (?), and the teaser of Grimlock was one of the big deals in the marketing of the game. And he's my favoritest. I don't think it's fair to judge him against Masterpiece Grimlock, but it's more than fair to judge him against Animated Grimlock, which beats the tar out of this figure.

D. This figure is so bad (particularly for the price), I'm debating whether to even open Blaster and Magnus or just return them to the store.

EDIT (a couple of hours later...)

I transformed Grimlock back to robot mode, since he's useless as a T-rex. This will be the only transforming Grimlock I can't display in dino mode (not counting versions who transform into tanks or Ford Mustangs, obviously). In robot mode, he's not as bad as I initially thought. (I suspect a lot of my hatred was over the worthlessness of his dino mode.) The articulation is still a little lacking, and he kinda looks like a 2006 figure, but he's decent enough as a robot. I've got to upgrade my grade a little, but I can't give him full marks. I'll say, based on the passability of robot mode, he's more a C. I still can't recommend him at $23+.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Good lord, I somehow missed the link while giggling softly to myself in the sea of Blitzwing and Metroplex images. My bad. Actually, Hasbro's bad on making such an awesome-looking Metroplex we'll all have to find room for.

I think I'm taking back what I said about this being a crap year for TFs. Still not excited about the FOC EU Wreckers and such, but the stuff after looks amazing.
    That's what you get for giggling like a schoolgirl.

Thanks to Beast Humpers, this is a very mixed year, but I do hear ya too on the Ruination Wreckers, that was an odd choice on Hasbro's part, basically trying to stretch for time while they get back on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I immediately shot an email off to tfsource to see if I can cancel or at least get store credit for the Takara Soundwave I ordered.
    Heh heh, I'm sure, I bet they're eating it on those. Good luck.

SDCC Metrotitan anyone?
    That's asking too much, I think. That'd be a really bold choice on their part, I can't imagine them doing something that bold. Then again, I didn't see any molded Autobot symbols so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

That BH Ratchet is SO IRRITATING. He has the paint apps the first one lacked in alt mode, but looks SOOOOO weird.
    Very much agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    Maybe we'll be getting an FOC Trypticon next year?

I'll definitely be buying more Legion class to help populate Metroplex.
    I think you mean WFC Trypticon, since he was in pieces in FOC, and I doubt they have the stones to make that happen, but I'd be super impressed if they did it.

I am in the same boat on Legends.

Found what was probably the full range of the currently-released later waves of FOC this morning. Kickback looks like butt. He was an easy pass. I don't need or want Cybertronian Starscream, Air Raid, or Kickback at $16 apiece. I did pick up Grimlock, Blaster and, even though I've passed on him several times, Ultra Magnus.

And, unless I change my mind on something I've seen already, that means I only need the Wave 2 Retaliation 3-packs, a few of the Marshalls Joes, and I'm done with toys for a while. (That's both a good thing and a bad thing.)
    Where did you find the FOC figures? I hear ya on Kickback, haven't seen in person but the more disappointing pics I see, the more I remember how much that character was a big miss in the game and thus I don't want it on any level.

Grimlock is a piece of crap. I hate to say it, but he's no better than the Classics Deluxe from several years ago. In robot mode, he's a bit gappy and lacking in a full range of articulation. Conversion involves a few moves that are similar to the original, but it's somewhat difficult to turn his robot arms into T-rex legs and position them properly, oddly enough. I can't get him to not look bow-legged. Also, his entire stomach is hollow, which makes him useless to display in any position aside from his profile. And his plastic is really low-quality. (The Joes have also had a noticeable drop in plastic quality, but they've been able to work around it for the most part so it's not such a distraction.)

Oh, but his mouth lights up when you press a button!!!!1!!!!

It might seem like I'm judging him harshly, particularly by comparing him to much-loathed Classics Grimlock, but I expect a lot more from Hasbro in 2013 than I did in 2006 (?), and the teaser of Grimlock was one of the big deals in the marketing of the game. And he's my favoritest. I don't think it's fair to judge him against Masterpiece Grimlock, but it's more than fair to judge him against Animated Grimlock, which beats the tar out of this figure.

D. This figure is so bad (particularly for the price), I'm debating whether to even open Blaster and Magnus or just return them to the store.

EDIT (a couple of hours later...)

I transformed Grimlock back to robot mode, since he's useless as a T-rex. This will be the only transforming Grimlock I can't display in dino mode (not counting versions who transform into tanks or Ford Mustangs, obviously). In robot mode, he's not as bad as I initially thought. (I suspect a lot of my hatred was over the worthlessness of his dino mode.) The articulation is still a little lacking, and he kinda looks like a 2006 figure, but he's decent enough as a robot. I've got to upgrade my grade a little, but I can't give him full marks. I'll say, based on the passability of robot mode, he's more a C. I still can't recommend him at $23+.
    Dang, that's... wow.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If only I had read Chux's review earlier!

I just ordered FOC Grimlock from HTS and used my $10 coupon on him.

Wow! I admit I was pretty lenient on Grimlock since I like his robot mode a lot, but jeeez. Harsh! (He really needs a waist ball joint though.)

Grimlock's robot mode is gradually growing on me. He's not a great figure by any stretch, but would be worth getting on sale. $23 is just a bit much for him.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

That's good, I ordered him in the tiny window he was available on Amazon, using my $14.40 in Coinstar free change-counting to supplement the purchase, and he'll be here tomorrow.

Been having fun the last few days with Masterpiece Grimlock, that's one heck of a toy. Still too short to be a Masterpiece though, even in bot mode he's not quite as tall as MP-10 Optimus. Oddly, I found a little hatch on the dino-mode's back that opens up but has no detailing inside.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

MP Grimlock is a fantastic toy. Truly worthy of the MP title. It's my favorite of the series along with MP-10.

Since folks are chiming in on FOC Grimlock, I will too. For me his arms are the biggest issue. They seem floppy in bot mode and although they can be posed, I wish they had a way to lock or tab in so that they would be more secure. I can live with the hollow-ness of the figure because the light up gimmick is really cool IMO.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

FOC Grimlock got here and it turns out El Chuxter was being very generous, this is an awful figure. Even the robot mode, which is the only thing this figure can say in its favor, the head sculpt is horribly simple and soft; the shoulders are hollow and awkward and entirely incapable of not folding in on themselves when used; the feet are drastically hollow and the knees awkward and more likely to de-transform than to actually bend. It's like they put all their money into this figure's light feature and deco, oddly, which is pretty good (although the dino sports an Autobot logo on the dome while the bot sports a Lightning Strike Coalition sigil on the chest), but not so good that it makes up for the awfulness that is this figure's lackluster quality. The light feature of course shines through the plastic of the head and chest, and the dino jaw for some reason doesn't open much despite the light being ridiculously simple. The light feature does look good in dino mode if you can ignore the simplistic sculpt and light showing through. The dino mode in general, oh man it's bad, the hollow underside of the figure, the unposable hips, the oversized and immobile tail, and they didn't even bother covering the underside with the sword and shield - instead leaving them to just plug into the hips looking terrible. So very sad.

Found a lone FOC Soundblaster at Target last night and picked it up. Not a bad figure at all, I was really worried after Grimlock missed a lot of crucial tests, but the Soundblaster mold is solid, mostly well thought out (the lack of a friction stop on the shoulder transformation hinge is an oddity), has a real transformation, and a fairly nice deco. I say "fairly nice" on the deco because they went with a charcoal color instead of black so it doesn't pop quite as well as it could. What really drew me to this coloring of the mold over Soundwave (aside from having WFC Soundwave already) is that the red translucent plastic for the wheels and chest are quite striking against the charcoal, gray silver, and yellow; where on Soundwave it's purple on purple with more purple and a side of purple.

Other things that are pleasing:
    - the figure size and proportions
    - left index finger in trigger-pulling pose allows him to press his eject button
    - the elbows and knees have a great ratcheting sound
    - joints are all tight and consistent
    - Buzzsaw can perch on Soundblaster's shoulder
    - yellow eyes, just like Scut Farkus
    - minion chest door springs open angrily
    - Buzzsaw transformation more fun to spring open than I care to admit
    - minion gimmick works in vehicle mode
    - vehicle mode is pretty much whole, not a lot of weird gaps
    - vehicle is an upsized battle van version of Soundwave's sedan design

Things that are displeasing:
    - no pistol accessory (this would be a bigger bummer on Soundwave, but rebooted character can argue rebooted weapons)
    - vehicle is a belly-dragger in the front
    - not good scale to any other WFC/FOC figures (although that's another reason I picked Soundblaster, can say he is a super mode or something)
    - could use more sculpted detail and sharper sculpting
    - front wheels are on cheap plastic struts that get in the way of the sliding back plate minion-launcher gimmick
    - Buzzsaw has no feet
    - now I feel compelled to get Ravage & Frenzumble (... Rumby?) despite them looking pretty mediocre

All in all, I'd give this a solid B grade, and could even see bumping that half a grade under the right circumstances.

Then I shall get Blaster. Same mold with retooling for the head and chest, right?

BTW, I mentioned I'd seen Soundblaster and not thought anything of it. One detail you didn't talk about here is his bio. How is he an upgraded, more hands-on reincarnation of Soundwave (which the bio says, and consistent with what I know of the Headmasters cartoon) if he's millions of years in the past and is still Soundwave by the time Prime rolls around?
    Tommy, close your eyes.