Page 538 of 595 FirstFirst ... 38438488528534535536537538539540541542548588 ... LastLast
Results 5,371 to 5,380 of 5942
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    (the Wreckers are Autobot cars to my knowledge)
    Is that a movie universe thing? In the G1 UK comics (and similarly in Regeneration One and the IDW Universe), the Wreckers were a sort of elite group of Autobots, mostly made up of guys who didn't appear in the US comics (Whirl, Roadbuster, Topspin, Twintwist, Springer) and made-up guys (Impactor, Wreck 'n' Ruin). The "Ruination" head here is based on Xaaron, who was a UK character who spilled over into the US book when Furman came on that title; he was a non-military leader of the Autobots left on Cybertron after Perceptor's and Fortress Maximus's groups left the planet, and remained in that role until he became the avatar of Primus and was killed by Unicron.

And I'm going to have to disagree with Tycho--I just looked at the gallery JT posted, and no freaking way can I pass on these. I honestly thought they'd be an easy skip. Sure, I'd like Topspin to be recolored, and for Whirl to have claws, but I can live with these differences.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Voyager Sandstorm, remold of Springer:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9870600&type=1

Honestly, I don't like it enough, the rear wheels kill it for me, that car mode from the back looks like a kid's soap box derby racer, they don't even pretend to look like they're part of the car and that's a shame. And the bot mode has too much bulk above the waist and is too thin below. I would buy the Springer mold again, but not this one.

Hasbro has the '13 HOF finalists up, and it's (in alphabetical order):
    Arcee
    BW Megs
    Prowl
    Rodimus/Hot Rod
    Ultra Magnus

Pretty much the safest list of all time. Of them, my site only included Ultra Magnus (he was our top pick, in fact), the rest of those guys didn't come close to our top 5 list this year but in '12 Prowl was in our top 5 and Arcee was a close 6th place. Magnus and Prowl have been getting a lot of play in their respective comics lately (MTMTE and RID), and since it's a top 2 winners vote, I could see them both taking it for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    They may be subtle differences, but they make a huge difference. The takara version looks so much more impressive. The Hasbro version looks like a toy.
    Yeah, they really, really do make a huge difference without being that much. I can't justify the price of the Takara version, but I appreciate it none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I was pretty impressed with the Wreckers repaints, too. If they're findable, I may have to get them to make up for all the Star Wars stuff Hasbro's not releasing and those Retaliation figures who are going to be insanely tough to find. (One per case for all twelve figures, with properly-articulated movie figures and high-demand stuff like Kwinn and the Crimson Guards? YEESH!)
    Ouch, that GI Joe news is really hard to take.

Is that a movie universe thing? In the G1 UK comics (and similarly in Regeneration One and the IDW Universe), the Wreckers were a sort of elite group of Autobots, mostly made up of guys who didn't appear in the US comics (Whirl, Roadbuster, Topspin, Twintwist, Springer) and made-up guys (Impactor, Wreck 'n' Ruin). The "Ruination" head here is based on Xaaron, who was a UK character who spilled over into the US book when Furman came on that title; he was a non-military leader of the Autobots left on Cybertron after Perceptor's and Fortress Maximus's groups left the planet, and remained in that role until he became the avatar of Primus and was killed by Unicron.

And I'm going to have to disagree with Tycho--I just looked at the gallery JT posted, and no freaking way can I pass on these. I honestly thought they'd be an easy skip. Sure, I'd like Topspin to be recolored, and for Whirl to have claws, but I can live with these differences.
    Yeah, the 3rd movie had 3 random characters they designated "the Wreckers" for no reason whatsoever, they're the 3 NASCAR cars (again, for no reason), and they have zero in common with the actual Wreckers except that Roadbuster's and Topspin's names are used with the corresponding colors. They're engineers who became fighters, or some stupid nonsense that undermines the very core of the concept of The Wreckers.

I'm with you in disagreeing with Tycho on this, they are very difficult not to like, they made nearly all the right moves. Whirl's lack of claws and Impactor's lack of his harpoon hand are what's holding me back from total adulation, they gave Impactor a harpoon gun to make up for that, but the harpoon forearm thing is so much part of what makes Impactor badass.

I'm not bothered by Topspin's colors, I would have preferred more blue but Twin Twist got all the blue so Topspin gets all the white, it's forgivable.

If these are $13 on pegs by the time they come out, I can see buying them. Oh the shame!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Ouch, that GI Joe news is really hard to take.
    They've at least said they plan a later case assortment that will be made up of the toughest-to-find figures from the entire Retaliation line so far. Trouble is, those frigging Roadblock 1's and Duke 1's are still clogging shelves, and I can't see that case being easy to find. Also, with 12 new figures, at least half of it being Cobra army builders, the bonus case would be pretty much a re-release of the previous case (maybe swapping out Ultimate Duke and Ultimate Flint for Joe Colton and the Black Ninja, who are insanely hard to find right now).

Whirl's lack of claws and Impactor's lack of his harpoon hand are what's holding me back from total adulation, they gave Impactor a harpoon gun to make up for that, but the harpoon forearm thing is so much part of what makes Impactor badass.
    I thought I read somewhere that Impactor's weapon can replace his hand, Shockwave-style. Any idea if that's true?

You know who I'd like in the Hall of Fame? How about Thunderwing, Bludgeon, Nightbeat, Ratbat, Carnivac, Jhiaxxus, or one of the other guys who was really minor in all but the comic book, but were so important in the comic that they've wound up being reincarnated in multiple lines since? That's arguably a bigger deal than Beast Wars Megatron. (Okay, maybe Carnivac hasn't exactly had a ton of figures. But if they ever get around to making Classics-styled Pretenders, I really, really want an update of that fella.)

Bulkhead could also be a candidate; he's more recent but has already proven to show up quite a bit in other lines, and in a more natural manner than Drift's "we're going to try to make this character popular even if it kills you!"
    Tommy, close your eyes.

JediTricks, will that Hall of Fame Ultra Magnus be made:

- all one piece like the Titanium I had to pay nearly $100 for? The trailer is there, but in transformation, it DOES NOT detach like it was some KRE-O toy (spelling got Hasbro's LEGO imitation) but rather actually transforms into the traditional G1-looking robot?

I'd dig Ultra Magnus in a Leader Class / Masterpiece version like that!!!

I want Cyclonus, Scourge, and Galvatron in that size range, too.

Will the Arcee be the deluxe CAR version? Somewhat realistically rendered as an interpretation of the 1986 movie character? I might eventually have to buy that overseas 3rd Party Alternator version of her to get kind of what I want. I'd actually prefer a Deluxe car.

A Leader Class / Masterpiece Astrotrain would be awesome as well!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

It's not actually toys, Tycho. It's a somewhat pointless literal Hall of Fame.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

They've at least said they plan a later case assortment that will be made up of the toughest-to-find figures from the entire Retaliation line so far. Trouble is, those frigging Roadblock 1's and Duke 1's are still clogging shelves, and I can't see that case being easy to find. Also, with 12 new figures, at least half of it being Cobra army builders, the bonus case would be pretty much a re-release of the previous case (maybe swapping out Ultimate Duke and Ultimate Flint for Joe Colton and the Black Ninja, who are insanely hard to find right now).
    Yeah, I'm so glad I'm not a collector on that line, that's a fantasy on hasbro's part to think any of those will get out, so frustrating.

I thought I read somewhere that Impactor's weapon can replace his hand, Shockwave-style. Any idea if that's true?
    Nothing I'm seeing suggests that, Impactor's forearm doesn't fold in a la Shockwave and the gun doesn't seem to have a cavity or anything to envelop it. My guess is they meant the weapon will sit slightly over the hand but still be a traditional gun. Would have been better as a part swap for the forearm.

You know who I'd like in the Hall of Fame? How about Thunderwing, Bludgeon, Nightbeat, Ratbat, Carnivac, Jhiaxxus, or one of the other guys who was really minor in all but the comic book, but were so important in the comic that they've wound up being reincarnated in multiple lines since? That's arguably a bigger deal than Beast Wars Megatron. (Okay, maybe Carnivac hasn't exactly had a ton of figures. But if they ever get around to making Classics-styled Pretenders, I really, really want an update of that fella.)
    I don't think you know what "fame" is. Also, you could have voted, but didn't, so you have nobody to blame but yourself. Bludgeon was pushed by TFW for an entry this year too.

Bulkhead could also be a candidate; he's more recent but has already proven to show up quite a bit in other lines, and in a more natural manner than Drift's "we're going to try to make this character popular even if it kills you!"
    Too new, a character like that should wait a few more years before being considered truly important.

It's not actually toys, Tycho. It's a somewhat pointless literal Hall of Fame.
    Captain Buzzkill here is correct.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

This year the HoF is truly pointless. It's part of the Hasbro panel and not its own event during the Saturday night dinner. I didn't really care about it a whole lot before, but it was kind of a nice idea for a convention event.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I don't think you know what "fame" is. Also, you could have voted, but didn't, so you have nobody to blame but yourself. Bludgeon was pushed by TFW for an entry this year too.
    I just mean that these guys were all introduced after the cartoon was over (well, except for Ratbat), and would've been throwaways like all the other toys. Hell, Jhiaxxus didn't even have a toy. But the characters wound up being so popular, mostly because of the comic, that the names and basic personalities have been translated into multiple other incarnations. How many Bludgeons have there been? Ratbats? Nightbeats?

Of course, if there are only a few each year, and you've got the entire run of the G1 cartoon to go through, it's kinda pointless. Wheelie will wind up there before Bludgeon, never mind that Bludgeon is the only Decepticon commander to completely defeat the Autobots (who only survived because of the massive deus ex machinas of The Last Autobot, his resurrection powers, and the re-return of Optimus Prime), and that most Bludgeons in the different universes seem to be as close to exactly the same character as possible.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I saw Springer and Blitzwing at Toy R Us Express up in Birch Run, Michigan. I only picked up Springer as they were 27 dollars. Blitzwings vehicles looked better, but his robot mode looked cheep. I'm not found of how loose Springers transformations are but considering I've always wanted one of him, he will do...
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Botcon schedule is up. Looks like Saturday is the right day for me, assuming I can get down there and get access: http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2013/schedule13.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    This year the HoF is truly pointless. It's part of the Hasbro panel and not its own event during the Saturday night dinner. I didn't really care about it a whole lot before, but it was kind of a nice idea for a convention event.
    It feels like FunPub is phasing out their need for Hasbro interaction, and I find that disappointing. There are less Hasbro panels and less time for the panels that they do have every time, and now this.

I just mean that these guys were all introduced after the cartoon was over (well, except for Ratbat), and would've been throwaways like all the other toys. Hell, Jhiaxxus didn't even have a toy. But the characters wound up being so popular, mostly because of the comic, that the names and basic personalities have been translated into multiple other incarnations. How many Bludgeons have there been? Ratbats? Nightbeats?

Of course, if there are only a few each year, and you've got the entire run of the G1 cartoon to go through, it's kinda pointless. Wheelie will wind up there before Bludgeon, never mind that Bludgeon is the only Decepticon commander to completely defeat the Autobots (who only survived because of the massive deus ex machinas of The Last Autobot, his resurrection powers, and the re-return of Optimus Prime), and that most Bludgeons in the different universes seem to be as close to exactly the same character as possible.
    I guess I see what you mean, but honestly, that makes them resonant, not famous yet. I couldn't tell you what makes Ratbat special right now, for example. So it's a harder thing to pull off.

It's not all about the G1 cartoon, but since that had a lot of episodes and was a foundational experience for the brand, a lot of its touchstones come from there. I suspect when we get to Wheelie, we'll see Bludgeon in there already just for having a skull face and swords.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    I saw Springer and Blitzwing at Toy R Us Express up in Birch Run, Michigan. I only picked up Springer as they were 27 dollars. Blitzwings vehicles looked better, but his robot mode looked cheep. I'm not found of how loose Springers transformations are but considering I've always wanted one of him, he will do...
    Good choice, Blitzwing isn't as good as Springer, and both his vehicle modes are more underwhelming than Springer's (the tank is just smaller, while the plane they left too much kibble on top). Blitz is worth $20, not more.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about how loose Springer's transformations are though. You find him floppy?