Page 544 of 580 FirstFirst ... 44444494534540541542543544545546547548554 ... LastLast
Results 5,431 to 5,440 of 5800
    Beast Hunters? What's that?

I just know the cover and solicitation for Regeneration One #95 made me pee my pants a little.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

So I saw Metroplex in person. Wow what a robot! I don't think I can buy this one though because there's not much to it as a city. What I want is one of those big spread out things like a matchbox 20 car city only it transforms!

Our own Springer and Blitzwing personally two of them each. But I've never transform Springer. I saw him in almost at Comic Con and I'm not fond of the helicopter. I'll use my voice you're from whatever you're was to depict him that way.
    has to Blitzwing I might buy a third but tank in robot are better than jet.

I really did not see anything else I want it that's coming out recently.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Thrilling 30 or whatever, the comic deluxes, wave 1.

Each comic uses the Retailer Incentive cover art from their respective comic only with a slightly closer crop on the character, and a different background - white faction logo with sloppy splatters. The books are not staple-bound but glue-bound with a stamped pre-crease to the covers front and back so as to remain as readable and cheap as possible. The character name and another faction logo are on top, company logos are on the upper left, bottom has the "Transformers Generations" brand name, and the back is black with company logos in the lower right. The issues are their complete story and have a preview blurb, and have no advertising except for the last 3 interior pages, all IDW, the first ad being a "read more about it in..." being the corresponding comic line each book came from (Autocracy, Police Action, Ongoing, and MTMTE), then an ad for the current ongoing Transformers comics but not by name although showing art for RID in each, and finally an ad for the IDW digital app and website. Inside there's no mention of the actual issue title, instead it's treated in the copyright as "The Transformers: Orion Pax" and a first printing despite "Hasbro exclusive cover" being on the front.

- Orion Pax, I hate this cover art on the included comic, it doesn't look like the toy, it doesn't look like the character in the book, it looks like a haggard old man.

The vehicle is too simple, hollow, and incomplete in the back, but not awful and has some nice touches. Transformation is very interesting, something new in how things flip around, but also can lead to variance that requires massaging to get vehicle right. Axe just plugs onto the side of the vehicle, nothing clever at all, and the gun can do the same or plug into a 5mm gap in the axe head. Paint on mine has the Autobot logo off-center. Truck hints at the vehicle in the book, but the cab is smaller, less integrated to the vanes in the back by being set forward, and the midsection is heavily indented, so the toy is definitely more a pickup truck than that of the comic.

Robot mode is almost a cross between Orion and Optimus in how much bulk is carried to the legs and chest, it has more of that heroic proportion, but the face saves it with a very youthful look. The head is small and has light-piped eyes ending in blue paint, that's weird. The chest is a big windshield with an interior techno-chest and an Autobot logo, The shoulders don't lock onto the torso as much as I'd like, but are ok. Transformation is fun once you get the order of the chest and backpack-wheels down, but relies heavily on dumping the whole front end and sides onto the boots. Orion feels pretty small and light, but has good articulation to be expressive. His gun is a fat version of the classic Optimus blaster and looks very nice, almost too much for a youthful character like this. The axe looks good with a translucent orange head and black-painted handle that has a 5mm grip in the middle and a peg on the side of the axe head.

Overall, Orion Pax is not a bad figure, but proportional issues and a bit too much reliance on shell hold it back from all it could be. At $13, grade B.

- Bumblebee, art is tolerable although the left hand is creepy robotic, and the face is too mature.

Vehicle mode is very good, I quite like this, very solid too. Looks clearly inspired by the art in the book's vehicle mode, but more aggressive. Rolls well despite facade robot chest being under the engine bay. Transformation to this is interesting, although I am pretty sure they left out a step about sliding the rear fenders out and there's some alignment that requires everything to be in the right place at the right time. Stinger weapons peg into the rear fenders, they don't look particularly well-integrated though.

Robot mode is a touch simple and bulked out for my tastes, but has an ok amount of detail overall. The upper torso telescopes down but isn't clear where it stops, if it pushes all the way then it locks out the waist articulation and causes the back to bend away, but if it stops at the first stop then the chest gets in the way of the chin and it's a bit floppy. My biggest frustration is the woefully loose knees, kneepads, and ankles, this is just a head-scratcher. Runner up would be the greenish yellow paint applied to the forearms and the stinger weapons, it doesn't come close to matching, they shouldn't have deco'ed those parts black underneath if they wanted yellow matching. Articulation is good, shoulders are a little confusing perhaps, and head is only a swivel. Stingers can plug into the undersides of the forearms, or snap together to make a nice blaster; leaving out the cane was a mistake though. Transformation is an odd one to get started, but mostly follows the basics of an Autobot car.

Overall, Bumblebee has good points but also some areas where he doesn't bring the heat. Grade at $13 is a C and maybe a bit higher if you're in a good mood.

- Trailbreaker, Trailcutter, whatever. This cover art doesn't remind me much of the figure because of how convoluted the shoulders and torso are, I prefer the simplicity of the art inside the book and the simplicity of the figure to this.

The vehicle is an SUV with louvers on the side windows and a bulky profile. The sensor-thingy is permanently above the truck, hinged to look up or down, let's just call it lights. Or not since there's cannons right below that above the cabin roof. Because the truck is taller than most deluxes, they shrunk its overall footprint. The truck is black with translucent blue windows and the red and yellow pattern from the G1 design. The overall sculpt is a touch simple, especially at the unpainted rear end, but barely holds the line. Wheels turn, miraculously on the front end since only the outer half of the wheels are really wheels, the inner half are dummies. The truck design is earth-based rather than the Cybertronian design in the comic, but that's ok. Mine annoyingly came with 2 left doors instead of a left and right, so at the moment he's got a gap on the right side. There are some alignment issues, a lot of massaging to get things lining up in the midpoint, and it's far too easy to cave the hood in which requires de-transforming the arms, kind of a pain in the butt, yet it's solid overall. A good amount of 5mm pegs here, 1 on the sensor, 2 on the roof, 2 under each door. Transformation is alright, mostly straightforward stuff, the instructions make it seem like more than it is.

Trailbreaker's robot mode is simple and direct, which is what you want from Trailbreaker. Headsculpt's good, light-piped blue eye wrap-around - cartoon based, I guess. He's got good bulk and feels right for the character, proportions end up where you'd want. Transformation is mostly straightforward, but the chest takes an interesting twist and folds the cabin and hood together in a neat way, although this leaves the shoulders able to peel away from the body slightly; the lower biceps sometimes slip out of the uppers during transformation. Detailing is chunky almost to the point of being overly simplistic, but has enough little touches to keep it alive, yet this is almost too far a throwback figure - more color could have brought out the little sculpted things. Articulation is alright, not all it could be due to simplistic stuff, but adequate. Weapon is a shield/twin-cannon affair right from the Clayton Crain cover art, it's got a red fold-out handle that fits overhand on the right hand and works fine flipped underhand on the left, although why a guy who projects forcefields needs a physical shield is beyond me; the front half of the shield can be folded back in and the affair pegged onto the sensor or into a shallow one directly under it, there's also MORE pegholes exposed in bot mode, one more on each shoulder, and one on the upper back which is too far behind kibble to let the shield use it, so that's probably for Hoist.

All in all, this is a likeable figure but is too simplistic for its own good, and the massaging to get a decent alignment in vehicle mode can be a chore, so I'm giving the grade a C+ and not in a bad way.

- Megatron's cover is this figure, period, the end. Clayton Crain obviously had this toy in his hand or something, he even avoided the purple "M" detail on the helmet this design enjoys in EVERY other instance except this cover and this figure.

Vehicle mode transformation is like 90% WTF and then the last 10% when you attach the accessories as the outer wings becomes BRILLIANT. It's just "wedge, wedge, solid wedge, beautiful B2 bomber"; if you lose those wings, the toy is nothing, the vehicle might pass for a bricky submarine or a streamlined cyber-rat, but it'll never be in any way threatening. The vehicle is very dark gray with purpley-dark silver accents and red windows, the underside adds translucent and opaque purple bits and the plastic equivalent of purpley-dark silver. There's a fold-down front landing wheel (non-rotating) to correspond to wheel-nubs sculpted to the underside midway points. The lower half of the plane is a bit kibbly and you can see Megatron's face staring down at the ground, but isn't too much of a thickplane offender.

Robot mode transformation, you must remove the outer wings for transformation, it seems like you could leave them on but there's a rotation clearance that must be adhered-to and the wing pieces are translucent plastic AND a system of levers, it's a really poor idea to try. Sometimes the shoulders will pop off their ball joints, wipe the joint clean of mold oil and it should lessen the odds of that happening. The instructions feel like this thing is going to take forever but there's an elegance to it once you've done it, there are ideas that I can't remember ever seeing executed this way before, it's most impressive. I can't stop transforming it, even if I didn't like anything else about this figure, I wouldn't be able to help but transform him over and over.

Robot mode is what you see on the cover, it's dark and it's menacing and it's got a wide chest and long legs, it's imposing... right up until you put it next to FOC Starscream, where they stand about the same size and Megatron's head is smaller. Still, it's an impressive Megatron look, the vents on the shoulders and forearms makes a strong statement, the cockpit broken up by the Decepticon logo is powerful, the look is very commanding. It looks like it'd be fragile, but it's actually quite solid, except for the outer boots which are hinged to fold out for some reason, these hinge open and closed easily but you barely would notice. Tons of sculpted details, very little is left plain. The forearms are somewhat bulky though. Deco is everything good from the upper side with the purple and purpley-silver added to the mix to bring it to life, forgoing the neon purple panel line accents seen in the comic - although I prefer it that way. The eyes are pitch black most of the time, they used translucent purple plastic but until you get a flashlight blaring into it, it's pretty lifeless.

The weapon deserves its own conversation, the wing tip halves plug together (not all that efficiently) to make a twin-pronged fork thing that doesn't look like much. It has a 5mm peg so it fits in either hand, but is meant for the pegholes on either forearm. When you pull the "sights" at the top backwards though, the forks slide forward together and expose translucent purple plastic with tech detailing, and now you've got something. Is it a fusion cannon? Package says yes, so who am I to argue? Does it look like the twin-bladed forearm weapon in the comic? Sure. Whatever, it's cool and it transforms a little. That said, this thing is likely a point of failure down the road - moving parts, translucent plastic, sandwiches together from 2 halves, what do you think is likely to happen? The first time I tried it, I pulled one of the forks clean off its runner and out of its lever, didn't realize the whole thing is transformed from the back instead of the front, but it held up.

Overall, Megatron here gets an A- from me, I really like this figure, it's got tons of personality and clever ideas in the transformation. Its grade slipped from the small stature and kreoforming the vehicle mode to completeness, but this figure gets a big smile and recommend from me overall.

Despite the grades, my ranking would be Megatron > Trailbreaker > Orion Pax > Bumblebee.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Nice review, JT. Can't wait to geab Megs. Heck, even the rest of them. I don't care

I still can't fathom why they left out Bee's cane. They could've even given him a rifle that obviously doubles as the cane without explicitly stating that's what it is. That's an important characteristic for this version of the character at this time.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I found the IDW deluxes today - Grabbed Pax and Trailcutter and then suddenly thought of JT's one with 2 left doors so I tried inspecting the two on the pegs carefully. However, that caused me to lose out on Megatron as a person shopping for a child's birthday grabbed it. Mentally I was thinking "get Bumblebee instead, get Bumblebee instead" but the mind trick didn't work at all.

Now that I've had MP Soundwave for a week, he's not as impressive as MP Optimus. That being said, I'm glad I don't have to compete with everyone for him at all the local TRU's.

I saw Beast Hunters Prowl but didn't feel like buying it.

Good God, I'm not sure what they're from, or if they're just Facebook reveals, but the FB page has pictures of Scoop (!!!) and he's surprisingly sweet.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddymac View Post
    Nice review, JT. Can't wait to geab Megs. Heck, even the rest of them. I don't care
    Yeah, Megs is definitely the star in my book, but the rest are worth getting... maybe not BB.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I still can't fathom why they left out Bee's cane. They could've even given him a rifle that obviously doubles as the cane without explicitly stating that's what it is. That's an important characteristic for this version of the character at this time.
    Seriously, the cane even plays a part in the comic story included with the figure.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    I found the IDW deluxes today - Grabbed Pax and Trailcutter and then suddenly thought of JT's one with 2 left doors so I tried inspecting the two on the pegs carefully. However, that caused me to lose out on Megatron as a person shopping for a child's birthday grabbed it. Mentally I was thinking "get Bumblebee instead, get Bumblebee instead" but the mind trick didn't work at all.

Now that I've had MP Soundwave for a week, he's not as impressive as MP Optimus. That being said, I'm glad I don't have to compete with everyone for him at all the local TRU's.

I saw Beast Hunters Prowl but didn't feel like buying it.
    Sorry to hear you didn't get Megs, that's a case for AGYF - always get yours first. It'd be really difficult to see Trailbreakutter's 2 door situation, the underside of the forearm is slightly longer, in-bubble it may not look like anything.

What has not held up on MP Soundwave for you? Also, you didn't have to pay tax... OR WAIT IN LINE. You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Good God, I'm not sure what they're from, or if they're just Facebook reveals, but the FB page has pictures of Scoop (!!!) and he's surprisingly sweet.
    What am I, chopped liver? http://photos.actionfigs.com/g6757-a...l-reveals.html Go to the end of the gallery and you'll see out-of-display shots I got of Scoop.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Ah, but I *did* get in line for MP SW! Friday of the con, I left my hotel at 4:30 am, got into line shortly before 5 am, got to EE shortly after 9, only to learn of the raffle distribution.

We were told to return at 11 for the results and so I did. Only it took until 11:30 or so and that's what caused me to miss the Hasbro SW panel.

The one thing I'm not really liking is the quality of the minions/cassettes. Rumble's and Frenzy's accessories especially. Pegs on the guns are slightly misshapen and take a slight bit of work to fit onto their backs. It shouldn't be mold degradation already, should it?

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    Ah, but I *did* get in line for MP SW! Friday of the con, I left my hotel at 4:30 am, got into line shortly before 5 am, got to EE shortly after 9, only to learn of the raffle distribution.

We were told to return at 11 for the results and so I did. Only it took until 11:30 or so and that's what caused me to miss the Hasbro SW panel.

The one thing I'm not really liking is the quality of the minions/cassettes. Rumble's and Frenzy's accessories especially. Pegs on the guns are slightly misshapen and take a slight bit of work to fit onto their backs. It shouldn't be mold degradation already, should it?
    I'm not experiencing that problem on mine. Mine is actually pretty freaking awesome. Given everything in the package, I'm putting him up as tied with MP-10 Prime for best MP figure. But it's a subjective thing - I don't feel like it's a hands down opinion.