Page 571 of 578 FirstFirst ... 71471521561567568569570571572573574575 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,710 of 5778
    Optimus looks like he's riding a tauntaun, JT.

Hasbro did not convey the Bayverse Grimlock like a gaint (long-tailed) dragon or something.

It just made me wonder if Optimus was going to cut Grimlock's belly open and stuff BumbleBee inside? LOL

I saw these in the stores and Grimlock sort of tempted me anyway, but I don't have money to spend on this stuff, and if I gave Transformers my cash, I want the new MP Ultra Magnus.

I agree with you (JT) that no dinobots in neon paint schemes. I think it was Slag (or whatever his name is now) that looked like a good sculpt, as did Scorn - but I don't think I want to spend time ruining the figures with paint that'll peel.

Hasbro needs to do these "premium format style."

I'll see the movie and maybe stay away from the toys.

Also, I can't tell which ones were for kids and what would go in my collection, although I was busy with company at the time I stopped in WalMart.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

So, here we have my personal review of...

Voyager Optimus Evasion Mode.

The packaging character art uses the beat up version, which obviously doesn't match the figure itself.

Robot mode is where it starts, and this is mostly a very nice robot mode. There's an excellent amount of sculpted detail everywhere, lots of business where there should be business and plates where there should be plates but they all have shape. The shins are a bit incomplete, and the panels under the forearms aren't the best, and if you look carefully in the back you can see some hollowness, but generally this figure is a looker. The smaller, more-human, less-heroic proportions let the character seem more vulnerable and less a superhero, it goes well with the exposed mouth, it makes Optimus feel older. And despite a rather panel-y, hollow design on the upper body, the figure feels pretty solid.

The upper shoulders are shot in blue without paint, this was a misstep but it's not dooming the figure. The eyes are light-piped clear, they don't stand out great against the silver face but they pick up light well. The shins un-transform easily by rotating backwards, it's not even particularly noticeable, but it's not a plus. And of course, this figure does need more paint in general, there are sculpted elements especially in the legs getting lost.The DOTM shotgun Megs carried in the movie is a little chunkier here for the limp missile launching gimmick, it isn't an attractive fit in the hand and it doesn't seem to have storage in bot mode, but it's adequate on its own and looks great with the DOTM Megs toy.

Articulation is outstanding, Optimus has an Adam's Apple which gets in the way of turning the head, so the neck raises up until it's clear, it works nicely. There's a waist, there's joints on the hip wheels that lets the legs move freely. The elbows are the one oddity, they work fine - enjoying a robust range of motion due to transformation - but they are awkward due to the sculpting needed for vehicle mode. The joints are also all nice and tight.

Transformation is a touch more complicated than I was expecting, given the simpler designs of the other 3 figures I have; this is also made worse by a total lack of robot-to-truck instructions and dodgy, inaccurate truck-to-robot instructions. Robot mode unfolds out everywhere in the upper body, while the lower body is simple splitting the difference between elegant and plain. The transformation is a little complex, but the only thing that hangs me up is the arms which are very specific about when they can move and what parts have to be where to get them through, this affects both to and from; everything else does its thing adequately. It is easy however to think the waist needs to be rotated, it doesn't; and it's easy to miss pushing the front wheels into their tabs.

Vehicle mode is G1 Optimus, complete with rivets and side mirrors and wipers, but a different smokestack and 5th wheel config, and the rear of the cab isn't filled in except with clear window panels and even that's only halfway. The front is really good, very satisfying and the paint holds up better here. I will say that the way the middle of the windshield doesn't line up properly, that's an OCD frustrator, but it's very minor and it looks like the parts weren't quite designed to match. The front windows are clear but mostly blocked off, the side windows are painted gray. The rear of the cab is, as I said, not filled in much. The back area around the 5th wheel is the kibbly area, it's not too bad but a bit of robot thighs and the robot feet take up a little too much attention, and the plain tail is underwhelming considering how much sculpted business is going on. Rolls nicely, has a 5mm peg hole on top and 2 more flanking the 5th wheel. The 5th wheel unfortunately doesn't seem to be able to hold any standard trailer size in the brand, it's a narrow rectangle, but I appreciate the interest in making it look like a semi tractor. The whole truck is a little on the small size for a voyager, but not too bad.

Overall, I think I'd give it a recommend, an 8/10 if you can stand movieverse.

There is a mouthplate version of Evasion Prime there coming in an Evolutions pack with Classics Optimus, of all things:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...vealed-180098/

Unfortunately, the deco on both figures is dodgy as hell, and while the chrome looks good in Classics Prime's vehicle mode, it's unwelcome in robot mode. Hasbro is really misreading the market on chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Optimus looks like he's riding a tauntaun, JT.

Hasbro did not convey the Bayverse Grimlock like a gaint (long-tailed) dragon or something.
    They made a larger Grimlock as well, Leader-class, but I've seen several really unhappy reviews of that figure. It might scale less like a Tauntaun, I dunno if they'd look ok together.

I saw these in the stores and Grimlock sort of tempted me anyway, but I don't have money to spend on this stuff, and if I gave Transformers my cash, I want the new MP Ultra Magnus.
    Save your money for either a sale or repaints, this isn't the stuff for you.

I agree with you (JT) that no dinobots in neon paint schemes. I think it was Slag (or whatever his name is now) that looked like a good sculpt, as did Scorn - but I don't think I want to spend time ruining the figures with paint that'll peel.
    Slug and Scorn are out now. I've been hearing more positives about Scorn lately, but I still think the bright red is too much for me, though I would consider getting a repaint. I had the figure in my hands yesterday, if it had been $10 I think it would have ended up here regardless of the red paint, the spines on the robot mode back look slick. Slug looks meh though.

Also, I can't tell which ones were for kids and what would go in my collection, although I was busy with company at the time I stopped in WalMart.
    Yeah, I saw your post in the LA Just Found thread, it's exactly what I suspected would happen, they're letting the expressions confuse the customers.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I've already checked out of the TFW Texas sightings. Someone mentions Strafe and people go bananas asking if its the deluxe or Power Battler.

I was into the two pack EMO (haw) Prime until I saw the blue flames in vehicle mode. Just... no. I may still get it to maybe head swap with a regular one. That classics Prime is practically made to go with Xovergen's Power Master Prime trailer. Chrome in almost all the same places!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I've already checked out of the TFW Texas sightings. Someone mentions Strafe and people go bananas asking if its the deluxe or Power Battler.

I was into the two pack EMO (haw) Prime until I saw the blue flames in vehicle mode. Just... no. I may still get it to maybe head swap with a regular one. That classics Prime is practically made to go with Xovergen's Power Master Prime trailer. Chrome in almost all the same places!
    Why would they think dlx Strafe would be out yet? He's a wave 3 or 4 figure. Man, some people are really badly fooled by these Power Attacker figures, that's awful. Hasbro should have put a color band on the left side of the package to differentiate the expressions.

EDIT: Apparently TRU has a Strafe Evolutions 2 pack hitting now, which seems to include the Deluxe and a Legends or minicon Swoop, but the package showing the G1 Strafe as his forebearer instead of Swoop, despite the only connections outside the name being that he was part of a team (not the same team) and his alt mode had 2 "heads".

Heh heh, Emo Prime. Yeah, the flames are so bad. I hear ya on the headswap though, which is something I suspect will create a few sleazy returns.

They complain about 3rd party and then make stuff that goes with it so well... no comment.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Why would they think dlx Strafe would be out yet? He's a wave 3 or 4 figure.
    He's actually in wave 2 with Drift and Slash AND the wave has shown up in Asian territories so some people are on the look out for it already. And so many people seem to be concerned with getting a figure IMMEDIATELY despite the glut of product that has occurred during the past two movie lines. Some of those guys over on TFW also seem to really want to be the first to post something for a meaningless news credit.

Hopefully that weird evolutions pack will calm people down.

They complain about 3rd party and then make stuff that goes with it so well... no comment.
    It happens enough it *almost* seems intentional at times.

What I want:

If TF4 is any good at all:

Some kind of Ultimate Class or largest-ever Dinobots. At least much larger than Leader Prime so that Prime figure can still be smaller than Grimlock.

Any Dinobot (except I guess Slash who's a velociraptor) should be at least 3 class sizes larger than Autobot cars.

That is, the Voyager size treatment for Dinobots could go good with Cyberverse Auotbot cars.

I will not be buying most (if ANY) of the AOE toys offered.

All-steel-gray repaints of the dinobots would fit this way:

LEADER..............VOYAGER................CYBERVE RSE CMDR..................CYBERVRS

Grimlock.............Scorn......................Op timus Prime.........................BumbleBee

..........................Slug.................... ...Hound....................................Drift

..........................Strafe.................. ..Slash.......................................Cros shairs

.................................................. .....Galvatron................................Lock down

.................................................. .................................................. .Stinger

Leader figures need Galvatron and Hound

I may buy an extra Voyager Ratchet from the 2ndary market

Deluxe cars are OK - Autobot and Decepticon (they're making Stinger besides Lockdown, right?) - but I may wait and not buy them with ridiculous giant "action feature" power-punch fists.

The cars would also look great in Alternator or Human Alliance scale. I wonder if they're going to be making those?

At CVS Pharmacy I bought a really nice Lamborghini "Lockdown" a while ago. It is Human Alliance / Alternator scaled. They could start with that mold and engineer it to transform.

The Autobots really need Ultra Magnus introduced into the film universe. With Jazz' death, as well as Ironhide's, (and Prowl never being in the BayVerse presumably due to Barricade's similarity) the Autobots need a good 2nd-in-command. Springer would also make a good 2nd officer, and Kup and Blurr have roles as Security and courier.

There is a rumor that Crosshairs can take on a helicopter mode (triple changes in the movie) - making him the surrogate Springer?

I think Drift is an entirely different character than Blurr.

Hound and Kup are NOT interchangeable! They are very different. I also saw Hound as representing a younger character than his new "Duck Dynasty" approach. We'll see how he acts on screen, but I already miss him as a scout / Jeep - and his new form is more appropriate for Bulkhead who I was never really introduced to.

I take it that in film 4, the Decepticons are largely disorganized and Lockdown is a bounty hunter. Not sure how Stinger fits in.

Galvatron is supposed to be human-created before he goes all domination - but there are somehow remnants of Megatron in him.

I hope by movie 5, Cyclonus and Scourge arrive.

As to the Stunticons?

Lockdown is not a team player from what I can tell. He's an "evil" car-bot, but serves only himself, not a team player.

Stinger might seem a bit like Dead End. But maybe with Lockdown (as BreakDown) and getting several more Decepticon cars to replace Wildrider and Drag Strip, they could combine with Galvatron as a truck also representing Nemesis Prime and moreover, MotorMaster.

I bet this is the big surprise or when Prime recruits the Dinobots, they'll just stomp all over the Decepticons.

Without a daily serialized television show, or monthly comic, a movie forces you to get everything out in about 2-3 hours. Due to the time constraints, this is why I think we'll see the MotorMaster, Galvatron, Nemesis Prime combination.

Besides, with Sentinel, you already had an enemy Prime.

As an outside, not rooted in the comic history, I think this is about where this has to go.

It might not be a terrible movie after all.

I do not think the Dinobots should ever transform into robots in the movie. That doesn't go with what they are - savage beasts.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I saw Strife Thursday at my TRU with the redux Masterpiece Grimlock. I picked both up and ended up putting them back. (Gave MP Grim to a guy that was really disappointed I got the last one.) Strife is way too purple/blue. Very bulky robot form. The Swoop minicon was pretty neat looking though.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

So, that SDCC exclusive.

Umm, yeah.

Anyone know how much they blow on crack every week?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    So, that SDCC exclusive.

Umm, yeah.

Anyone know how much they blow on crack every week?
    So I think someone had a lot of fun putting that together. I respect all the effort that was put in it from the extras like the cloth bits, ridiculous hair, Animated guitar/keytar and the packaging. They took a dumb idea and really ran with it all the way to the finish line.

It's still dumb though.

Fun, yes.

$200 fun, hell no.

Tommy, close your eyes.