Page 70 of 592 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120170570 ... LastLast

Re: Transformers: Energon & Beyond

I saw the TF:CY Starscream/Vector Prime 2pack at TRU tonight, the paint on V.P. appears identical while the paint on Starscream is fairly inferior, shallow, and lifeless compared to the Japanese version, I especially hated the cheap red color and the cheap semi-translucent purple plastic.

No new Alternators have crossed my path yet though, sadly.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    I saw the TF:CY Starscream/Vector Prime 2pack at TRU tonight, the paint on V.P. appears identical while the paint on Starscream is fairly inferior, shallow, and lifeless compared to the Japanese version, I especially hated the cheap red color and the cheap semi-translucent purple plastic.

No new Alternators have crossed my path yet though, sadly.
    If you're looking for a Prowl, JT, I hid one at WEHO Target. PM me for details.
    All Hail Darth Schmitsky!

Snagged Armorhide the other day. Pretty decent for a basic. He's kinda short and stocky. His force chip gimmick is kinda neat too. Chest flips up revealing a "missle battery." His knees are just a little too loose for my liking ( not "floppy" though) but other than that he's ok.

Here's my unintentionally-long review of Alternators Prowl, which Chaddy stashed for me (Thanks Chaddy! )

Alternators Prowl - First off, the packaging, this is the red box and I still don't love it, the open window design bugs me. The drawing of Prowl is pretty cool, although that push-pop li he's got seems a little silly. The packaging has more than its fair share of mistakes, red grid lines on the side panel cross over the bot photo's boundries in a few places and there's one that appears right in the middle of his chest, the photo of the gun by itself is totally upside-down, and the photo of the alt mode with the hood open has the V-tech engine gun backwards. Finally, the package shows the Binaltech colorscheme which is far superior to the one we got, but clearly they're not showing the BT car because it has a different spoiler. The instructions are, as often the case, confusing and downright wrong in a couple places - first off, the position of the arms in alt mode, this affects transforming it back to alt mode because you think you can ALMOST get the parts to line up that way, but if you bend the plastic to your will without breaking it the steering won't go and it's very difficult to free the arms again - the pics of the BT version's underside don't correspond to this either, so that's all I need to know about Hasbro being wrong. The second instructions mistake is that the tabs on the sides of the chest, the instructions say to have them stick straight out in front of the bot, but they're actually supposed to fold past this to flat against the chest, otherwise you cannot get the chest all the way into position and it certainly won't lock into place without that.

Alt mode is a very, very boring car, the first truly boring car in the line IMO. The Acura RSX is not an exciting car in real life, but the Alternators version somehow got the lines of the upper rear half a little wrong and didn't give enough of the sides' body roll shape in so they took a boring car and made it more boring, even though it says "Highway Patrol" and "Police", it really looks more like a parking enforcement car. What would have made this less boring was the large spoiler that the BT figure enjoys, and the US version of the car has it too as seen in this pic, sadly the US toy gets this wimpy, sad trunk lip spoiler instead. Also, the wheels on this car seem slightly too small which is never exciting IMO, especially when the front ones only turn a tiny bit (tho' small magnetically-linked steering is better than no steering). The whole car lines up pretty well once you realize the arms angle in towards the front, and everything opens nicely although the hood is somewhat limited. The light bar on top seems a little too fat for my tastes, your mileage may vary. The wheel design is accurate to this car, as is the engine facade (although they didn't paint the V-tech logo in the little blank spot they made for it), some of the undercarriage, and the grill and bumper intake section; there are some good design elements at work on this toy, especially the headlights and dashboard, and some creative paint work with that. The windows are up on this car, so getting the doors open seems to involve pushing on the chromed side mirrors which sounds like a recipe for breakage to me. I am glad they went with english lettering for the car, but while the blue/yellow shields evoke the G1 character, they're too small and not bold enough here, they could have used more detail or at least a black border. Just in front of the shield logo on the hood is an Autobot logo that's the same size (so much for "robots in disguise" I guess) but slightly off-center, if this was meant to be a reference to G1 Prowl's hood logo, they should have put it further over to the side instead of this few-millimeters-off situation - I dunno if they're all like this, but I've seen some photos online of others that were. Bottom line, in alt mode this is not an exciting car nor very imposing as a cop vehicle, but it's solid.

Transformation is needlessly presented in the instructions as more convoluted than it actually is, in reality it's fairly straightforward and normal with the only slow spot being how you get the arms and chest around - the key is to get the doors down out of the way, move the arms partway out, swing the chest halfway through, then move the doors up out of the way again, and finish bringing the chest down (the chest actually locks on both sides into final position). Transforming back is again straightforward till you get to the arms, but part of the frustration is that you think once the arms are fully stowed they should point straight forward like it shows in the instructions, but they should actually be angled inward so the elbows are almost touching the gun under the engine.

Bot mode is ok but not great, it's not as bad as it appeared in the photos but it's still like a big Spychanger with the fold-down oversized chest, high shoulders, and fat legs made from the rear end. The bot isn't fragile, it doesn't feel like it's gonna break if you mess with it and it doesn't start de-transforming when you mess with it unlike some other figs in the line. The shoulders aren't actually as high as they appear, the wheels on top just make 'em look that way. The arms are perhaps a bit small on this body, they have good articulation but the ball-jointed elements seem a little cheap for an Alternators figure, still it does give lots of range of motion to the point where it can do nearly anything that my arm can do - though there's a peg on each upper arm which prevents the arm from raising higher than straight out (if this peg had been on the forearm instead, that would have solved this issue). The upper body looks a little empty around the head and from the side viewing the chest and back (I really don't like how the lower back looks so thin and weird from this angle), the car front end seems more like a big piece of body armor because of this, the fig actually has a whole torso behind that. Where the upper body is a bit plain on the sculpted details, the lower body has a decent amount of detail. The waist can rotate, the legs have good articulation as well but the knees are way up high and somewhat restricted thanks to a second joint that acts as the knee and is secondarily restricted by the taillight assemblies. The ankles have an odd design but are ball-jointed, though those ball joints may be a little untrustworthy - tight enough to fool you, but loose enough to slowly give out if too much weight is depending on 'em. The figure can certainly stand on his own, but between the funky knees and the fat rear car body stuck to the back of the legs (which also forces the legs to show hollow from a few angles), there is a lot of frustration finding cool poses. The head screams "G1 Prowl", this is a lot like that figure's head only with a little more detail, he can look down and it can turn all the way around; the head and upper arms are cast in pearlescent white plastic. They slapped tiny shield logos on each upper arm, and the left arm facing out has a small painted Autobot symbol. The paint work on my fig is pretty sloppy, especially the red paint on the horns, the forearms, and the lower legs which is all gloppy and messy. Frustratingly, Hasbro changed one of the BT version's black plastic - the one which makes up half the bot's body, specifically - into an unappealing pale blue, it's wimpy and sad and uncool, especially the waist and around the head which was black on the Japanese figure, totally undermines the look of this figure from stud to dud.

Finally, the accessories. First, there's the nightstick, it's totally translucent red (except for the very end of the handle on mine where the red ran out and it's just clear) and has an alright sculpt that's a bit lightsaber-like, it doesn't help that the actual stick part has energy line sculpting where it meets the handle. The nightstick plugs into the exhaust pipe on the bumper kibble of the left leg, I guess like a cop wearing his nightstick on his belt... right. The gun is my least favorite gun in the line, it's a small pistol with a larger pointless engine facade behind it, the handle is too low and it just doesn't excite me. Both weapons have pegs in their handles which correspond loosely to rectangular holes in the back of the hand (instead of the palm), it works alright if not spectacularly.

Overall, I wish they hadn't swapped out the spoiler and changed the black plastic to pale blue, that alone would have saved this guy some dignity. The figure is not a standout, but not a disaster either, he's "alright" if not exciting, and solid if not amazing. Is he worth getting? I'd say so, but he's not fantastic.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well I'm bored in between studying, so I'm going to go over some figures I bought but never went over. Some I've had for awhile.. but oh well.

(Master) Megatron: Now this is one figure that I was pretty sure I was going to skip. I didn't mine the design at all, the color scheme just didn't win me over. The Unicronish aspects of the combined color and design took awhile to grow on me. The US versions paints are also slightly different and I prefered them as well. So when I saw him at TRU the day after I got my shipment from Amazon I caved, along with most everything else. ( 'cept Starscream.. he needs to go on sale before I get him. ) Anyways, articulation wise, he's well off. Aside from the basics, his elbows are double jointed and his feet can swivel to keep them flat when posing. Which is good because hes pretty back heavy. ALL of this figures gimmicks are on his back in bot mode. So it takes some time to get the feet positioned so he'll stay standing. The force chip gimmick are ok. The side gimmicks either produce an arm mounted blade (Death Claw) or peg or arm mounted chain gun (Death Machine Gun). The blade is pretty neat, but is made of rubbery plastic, which is never appealing. (Hello Vector Prime.) The gun was at first, pretty lame. It IS however an example of how important the show can be to one's view of the figures though. The introduction of it in the show was pretty great. (If mowing down three Autobots almost to death works for you.) In effect, it changed my view of it so much, that I no longer view it as being lame. The other chip gimmick pops out turbines I guess on the engine. Not too exciting. Located between the two turbines are two spring loaded missles. While im not a fan of those, they're not intrusive. The whole figure is pretty detailed. Vector Prime really inspired me to take a break from panel lining the details in my Gundam models and try it out on Transformers. And the effect is pretty good. While I haven't gotten to Megs yet, his details are enough that he should look pretty cool with them highlighted. Alt mode I won't spend too much on, cause as you might know, I don't care about that aspect too much. Car mode is, as its been said before, the friggin' batmobile. The Jet mode as a third mode isn't really TOO bad considering some past transformers who have just one alt mode. (Energon Wing Saber) Finally, its combined mode, Liger Megatron. As with Prime, Leobreaker just doesn't quite work as a hand. It probably has to do with the fact that Leo's own arms don't look good as one hand. Now if they had included an extrapart to make the hand like the show version has, then it would be better. Other than that, Liger Megatrons has pretty bad stability.. not many poses you can pull off with his heavy back and on heavy arm.

So in summation, I would reccomend Cybertron Megatron to a fan of this series. Some may wish to wait for the repaint as its more Megatron like.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    So in summation, I would reccomend Cybertron Megatron to a fan of this series. Some may wish to wait for the repaint as its more Megatron like.
    You mean Galvatron? We've been looking at Megs for a while now, and I just can't get into it... but Galvatron looks a bit better to me. (Not that I'd be buying him for me anyway.)

-----

Hey, speaking of "for me," what's the word on the release date for Alternator Skids? Now that we have a Scion in the family, I'm kind of thinking about getting that one... though I'm not wild about flame thing. Was there any word at Botcon about them doing a Scion xC also?

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish
    Hey, speaking of "for me," what's the word on the release date for Alternator Skids? Now that we have a Scion in the family, I'm kind of thinking about getting that one... though I'm not wild about flame thing. Was there any word at Botcon about them doing a Scion xC also?
    you mean scion tC? that would be awesome... i've been clamboring for one for a long time...
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

No, I meant the xA (my bad)... there's three, the xB (skids), the xA (the little 4-door hatchback that we just bought), and the tC (the 2-door with the "moon roof" that I'm tryng to talk my inlaws into buying.)

You mean Galvatron? We've been looking at Megs for a while now, and I just can't get into it... but Galvatron looks a bit better to me. (Not that I'd be buying him for me anyway.)

-----

Yeah I meant Galvatron.

Skids is coming in the new packaging, which is supposed to show up next year..

No, I meant the xA (my bad)... there's three, the xB (skids), the xA (the little 4-door hatchback that we just bought), and the tC (the 2-door with the "moon roof" that I'm tryng to talk my inlaws into buying.)
    i've got one...

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=29513

i love it... very fun. great amenities for the $$. that's why i want them to make a tC alt so bad... but i doubt they will since it's an america-only car. maybe they can make another iconic character that the japanese will buy no matter what - like bumblebee or something. although i don't know if i want the tC to be bumblebee, but if it's the only way it will be made, i guess i'd rather have a sucky character in a tC rather than no character in a tC...
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope