Page 6 of 565 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106506 ... LastLast

Re: Transformers: Energon & Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    And what's with the powerlinx combination points on the base, is this thing supposed to combine with the Deluxes alone like a walking battle base,
    I've seen official Takara pics some where of just that. The "trailer" PLed with Rodimus. It is not pretty.

PF, I am SOOOOOOO jealous that you found these in LA and I didn't. LMK what you think of 'em all, especially Insecticon, I've been very disinterested but with not finding new TF lately, I've been considering it...
    Well, all in all, they're each pretty good I'd say.

Arcee is kind of silly really, but at the same time fun. The feet folding out into high heels is just plain goofy and the obvious fem peach colored paint almost seems a bit much. Once she's transformed and holding that huge weapon though, it's not a bad looking little bot. My only real problem has to do with those weird little hands they gave her. That and the fact that the arms don't have much articulation at all. Very limited range of poses available. I do like the vehicle mode... it's a real throwback to the pre-Armada stuff, and in some ways kind of reminds me of a few of the Microman 2000 toys that I have. I'm kind of wondering if I could use a Microman figures as a rider (Hmmm.)

Insecticon has a very "happy meal" kind of feel to him in bot mode, which is both good and bad. He's pretty sturdy, has some reasonably good detail and a nice color scheme (I think.) In bug mode I like him best really, it just feels and looks more fun that way. Bot mode isn't so bad, but he's got some seriously limited articulation. Even so, it really does have a similar kind of feel as the G1 toy that inspired it... but with more plastic and it's way more clunky looking. I'm a sucker for bug Transfomers and I like this one... it's fun to play with.

I'm also a sucker for transforming dump trucks I think. (Strange.) My biggest problem with the Energon line has been that most of the vehicles have suffered from being way too Tonka looking. That, and the paint schemes have been way too crazy... way too obnoxious. (I'm the guy that usually loves the brighter Japanese paint jobs on stuff, but It's just gone too far in some cases.) With Demolishor you get a little of everything I suppose. There's Tonka parts and there's some ugly bright paint. There's also some nice detail, play value and... well, I suppose given that it's a burly rocket firing dump truck, the bright paint and Tonka stuff kind of works for this one.

So, yep, not a bad bunch. I really hope that Arcee doesn't end up being too hard to find. I looked again today at another W*M, but saw none. And yeah, if you're looking for a TF fix, I'd say that Insecticon is pretty good. Not great, but good. Don't expect too much... but for $6 it's worth it. I may end up getting all of the Terrorcons and Omnicons now... I'm digging their size and the accessories.

Hey Adam, does that mean it can also powerlink with a figure as the "pants" so it becomes a legless torso hovering (or rolling) around? Oh the shame, the shaaaame! On the other hand, with the Tow Line base as the ground section, maybe Prowl or Rodimus could be converted into an artillery unit instead of a robot top.

Thanks for the reviews PF, very cool. I'm not sure I'm sold on Insecticon just yet though, I'm a real fan of the bot modes.

I've got all the wave 1 and 2 basics except for the Energon Saber, I'd recommend 'em all except Cruellock and maybe Perceptor.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The picture I saw had Rodimus in bot mode attached to the "trailer". I dare not search for it, it was scary.

Can't wait to see how Hasbro tries to explain this in their US instructions.

So, today I found Demolishor at 1 WM and Arcee & Insecticon at another, they were the only ones at each. I didn't even look at Demolishor, just saw the green and put him at the bottom of my cart so he wouldn't get poached; Arcee & Insecticon were buried amongst a bunch of wave 2 basics, but I spent a few minutes looking them over... after they were in my cart, of course.

PF, I don't think Arcee is that silly, but she's not as cool a she-bot as either of the dedicated Blackarachnia figures from BW/BM. I agree, the bustline and high-heeled boots are a bit goofy, but it has source material to draw from. I really like her alt mode, I'd love to see this alt mode and transformation scheme revisited as a Deluxe bot in the future. The hands are weird, but I find them more weird in concert with the shoulders and arms (which, btw, are also set a little too far back). I wish the head were ball-jointed, and PF, is yours really super hard to turn? I don't like the weapon that much yet, it might grow on me in time but it isn't terribly stable and doesn't look nice attached to the bike; the strawberry energon chip is mega tight on the spark crystal housing. Oh, and speaking of the spark crystal housing... LAME! Having this open cylinder shoved into her torso makes no sense. Still, I like this figure overall a lot, probably my favorite of the 3.

Insecticon basically I bought because A) you and a few others have given him generally favorable reviews; B) my Decepticons are woefully outnumbered; and C) WM had basics on sale $1 off. I do appreciate the dark legs and um... tusk? plastic rather than the prototype's orange, but this thing is mega-chibby, possibly the closest thing to SD Transformers we've ever gotten in the US. And giving him a transformation difficulty rating of 2 was, to say the least, quite generous. His weapon is not really doing much for me, but it's OK, stick on rotating handgun doesn't seem like an ultimate weapon though. I wish the tusk and front pair of legs had pegs so they could be detached and used as hand weapons, that would have really raised this figure's rating for me. Certainly BW-era covered TF nsects better than this, but even with all that, he's STILL a step above Cruellock.

Demolishor really should have been named Rhinox, the stocky body and especially the head remind me of that BW figure. Now that I've freed him from his plastic prison, the first thing that came to mind was "where's all the cool wear and weathering paint from the prototypes?!?" Heck, even the giant Decepticon symbol in the truck bed was supposed to be worn and scratched up, without it he's too much of a Tonka truck, too lifeless. The alt mode is ok, a little too gappy and at times flimsy. Transformation is kinda cute, but it'd be a lot more fun if the center torso and head section weren't so loose that the figure's head gets pushed down all the time. The Hyper Power modes are fun, I like the clear stuff going on there with the fake missiles. Some parts snap so loud during transformation, I thought they were breaking. The head articulation is quite clever, mine is too loose but it's still a good idea. I foresee the hands getting broken, the plastic is too thin and brittle thanks to being clear, and the hole is a smidge too small at the top for Energon accessories from other figures, so you can force 'em in but it's a risk of breakage.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Wow, I can't believe you bought Demolisher considering your reaction when we first saw his proto.

He's probably going to be the first Energon toy I pass up on, though it's entirely possible I'll pick him up out of boredom.

And * sort of spoilers* I don't really like how he's handled in Superlink. He's not really the same character.

PF, I don't think Arcee is that silly, but she's not as cool a she-bot as either of the dedicated Blackarachnia figures from BW/BM.
    Yeah, I suppose all things considered, maybe it's not so silly. I suppose also, they have to be pretty limited with how they can show "female" with a TF toy. (High heels are pretty much it.) I do agree though... it's the best of these three for sure.

I wish the head were ball-jointed, and PF, is yours really super hard to turn? I don't like the weapon that much yet, it might grow on me in time but it isn't terribly stable and doesn't look nice attached to the bike
    I didn't know that the head could turn... yeah it's tight. The weapon is too big I think. It's a really awkward deal with that big item on one side, but I do like the bow idea. And yeah, in vehicle mode the weapon isn't doing much. It helps the bike stand up, but it's not very slick.

giving him a transformation difficulty rating of 2 was, to say the least, quite generous.
    Insecticon's not exactly super complicated for sure.

Demolishor really should have been named Rhinox, the stocky body and especially the head remind me of that BW figure. Now that I've freed him from his plastic prison, the first thing that came to mind was "where's all the cool wear and weathering paint from the prototypes?!?"
    Yeah, weathering would have made this one much better. As is, I do like the clear green parts, but it needs some distressing. "Flimsy" is a good word to describe the what's going on with the whole head/torso idea. I like the "Attack Mode" setup, with the head rotated forward and the missiles up, but the whole thing seems pretty unstable. Doesn't lock into place very well.

---

So yeah... from here I'm probably gonna grab Strongarm, Skyblast (?), Divebomb, Cruellock (??) and then Scorponok and maybe Megatron.

Definately don't miss out on Divebomb. Megs is a good toy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Wow, I can't believe you bought Demolisher considering your reaction when we first saw his proto.

He's probably going to be the first Energon toy I pass up on, though it's entirely possible I'll pick him up out of boredom.

And * sort of spoilers* I don't really like how he's handled in Superlink. He's not really the same character.
    You could chalk it up to my need for more Decepticons, but it also helped that he wasn't mistransformed or colored ugly unlike the prototype test shot.

If you like Snowcat at all, I can't imagine how you wouldn't be into Demolishor.

That sucks about the show having him be not the same guy. What's the point of giving the character the same name then? I mean, Armada renamed characters who had the same sparks but updated bodies, those were the same guy and they got new names. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by PF
    I didn't know that the head could turn... yeah it's tight. The weapon is too big I think. It's a really awkward deal with that big item on one side, but I do like the bow idea. And yeah, in vehicle mode the weapon isn't doing much. It helps the bike stand up, but it's not very slick.
    I agree, the combined bow is too big for her. It'd look better with larger figures, at least a Mega though, I don't think Deluxes are big enough. Someone suggested having Arcee hold just the tailpipe pieces as clubs, I like this idea since the other parts of the separated weapon don't work well in her hands.

On mine, I kept putting the parts on so the pegs were further down than the wheels, it took me a while to figure out that I had to rotate the parts up.

I like the "Attack Mode" setup, with the head rotated forward and the missiles up, but the whole thing seems pretty unstable. Doesn't lock into place very well.
    At first, I thought you meant the figure's stance was unstable, and I was going to point out that he's a standing champ (so long as his hips don't give out, which sometimes they do), but then I realized you meant the central block. Mine isn't terribly unstable, but it's darn close, the central block elements really should all be tighter, on mine, the head will slip back into the body and rotate so it can't come back out - that's annoying as heck.

Like Adam said, don't miss Divebomb, great figure. BTW, that reminds me, I've been seeing a lot of the pointy-weapon variant lately, so watch for that (IMO, avoid it, get the one with pegs on both ends of the weapon). I would recommend Strongarm, probably Skyblast too, but I wouldn't be sure about recommending Scorponok and would definitely NOT recommend Cruellock unless you dig his sword.

---

BTW, I had an idea for a new figure, it'd be somewhat similar to this new Demolishor except that it'd be a bobtail truck and the "box" rear section would break into 4 pieces on transformation that looked identical from the outside and were on articulated arms that held the front set above the shoulders and the back set down by the hips. The 2 front boxes would have a cluster of missiles at the front of each, and the backs would flip open to the side to reveal targeting scanners; the 2 rear boxes would have a rather large gun barrel slide out and have controls on the interior back, and the back coverings would flip up to become targeting reticles. The idea would be that all 4 modules would be on standard-size pegs that could come off the articulated arms, the front 2 would be over-the-shoulder launchers, the back 2 would be hanging down at the hips as holstered guns, the modules could interconnect with each other to make 2x, 3x, or even 4x rifles with either the barrel or missile cluster as the front. The weapons over the shoulders and at the hips would be a Hyper Power mode, and in alt mode, the hyper power mode would be that you could tilt up the "box" section of the truck to reveal the missile clusters (I'd want it to be a non-firing missile so it wouldn't distort the design of the toy). An added bonus would be that the figure, once the weapons were removed, could have ANY 4 Energon weapons with standard size posts plugged into the articulated arms.

That sucks about the show having him be not the same guy. What's the point of giving the character the same name then? I mean, Armada renamed characters who had the same sparks but updated bodies, those were the same guy and they got new names. Weird.
    In Superlink, he IS renamed to Irontread.