Page 8 of 578 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108508 ... LastLast

Re: Transformers: Energon & Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    I don't collect Transformers, but I used to a long time ago - had all the Generation 1's through Technobots era, that sort of thing.

I was thinking about picking up the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime. This looks like an excellent product. What do you think?
    If you had any enjoyment collecting G1 TF's, then 20th/Masterpeice Prime is right up your alley. He's my favorite TF toy.

In light of there one day being a "live action" Transformers movie (keep hearing rumors that they are making this - is it true?)
    Yes! Some of the producers who worked on the X-Men films are working on it.

If the figures were super-poseable and actually transformed, I'd also want:

Megatron
    Starscream
    Ironhide
    Jazz
    Hot Rod
    Kup
    Blurr
    Springer
    RC
    Wheeljack
    Bumblebee
    Mirage
    Galvatron
    Cyclonus
    Scourge
    The is a G1 Starscream coming out in a line called "Robotmasters" by Takara. This SS will be teeny compared to Prime though. Jazz will actually be offered in the Alternators line. (Alternators are reimages of G1 characters using current car models.) He won't be called Jazz though, Hasbro lost the copywrights to that name. Instead he will be called Meister, which is part of his Japanese name. It's Jazz though, I know I will call him that. He is a Mazda Rx-8. Any of the others could show up in Alternators as well, and with the movie toys that will inevitably be released.

Here's the thing though: super-poseable as action figures means that their elbows and wrists turn, their shoulders turn, their knees and ankles are articulated, possibly their waist too.

The new Optimus looks like he fits that bill. Does he?
    Pretty much. The ankles do move, but not in a side to side motion. There's a downside.. because he is made of diecast, his chest make him top heavy, so you can't really put his articulation to its extremes.

I've also read issues about Megatron being a gun, so they won't do that anymore since he looks too much like the real deal and Hasbro won't do toy guns of that kind anymore. Is this true?
    Bingo. Although I think its "realistic" toy guns...

Can they make a Megatron transformer so good that he changes sizes - so that he's on scale to Prime as a robot, but shrinks so much when he changes into a gun that he can fit in Prime's hands - even if he's offscale?
    Well, it isn't really necessary for that last part - Prime comes with a Megatron in gunmode. I'm pretty sure they could make a Megs in scale to Prime, but there's no way they could shrink the gun.. which may solve the whole problem with Megs being a gun anyway. A giant pistol doesn't look real.. right?

Can Starscream be made so that he's an accurately sized jet next to Prime's truck, but he folds up enough as a robot to really be accurate in size to Prime and Megatron, hold Megatron as a gun, and still be articulate.
    Probably, if you sub Megatron for Prime's Megs in gunmode.

If I like these super-realistic Transformers, do you have any other recommendations for me of product already released?
    ALTERNATORS! (You're probably not interested in Energon, so I won't even mention it.) Smokescreen, Sideswipe, Silverstreak(Bluestreak) are out, Subaru Impreza, Dodge Viper and Subaru Impreza WRX respectively. Smokescreen and Bluestreak should suit you articulation wise, but Sideswipe doesn't have much in his legs. I still recommend him though. They are about half MP Prime's height,and they make good troops for him.
    Last edited by Adam; 05-23-2004 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks Adam! I'll pick up that 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime. He was always such a cool character!

When will that Transformers Live Action movie be complete?

Why did Hasbro lose copyrights to certain names? Is Hot Shot supposed to be HotRod? How could they lose those names? Seems very short-sighted of them. Besides, HotRod to Transformers is like Destro to GI Joe. You don't want some other company to take that away from you!

You think they'll get the names back in time for the movie?

Do you think the movie will produce mass-made amounts of plastic crap? Or do you think they'll do quality work on the stuff like the Alternators' line?

How come they switched cars for the alternators in the first place? Jazz was supposed to be a Porsche!!!

Thanks for the great reviews. While I'm not comfortable with Alternators being different cars than they used to be, they do look really good when I've seen them in stores.

What's up with Ratchet? He actually isn't an Alternator, but seems to look just as good and way better than how they did him and Ironhide back in the G1 days, as then they barely looked like robots. Is Ratchet pretty good?

??? What Ratchet are you talking about?

Hasbro lost many copywrights from just not using them. For example, in Energon, a character called Shockblast is going to be introduced, and he's an obvious Shockwave. Shockwave is being used by that company that makes those crappy GI Joe clones, Corps, or whatever. Bumble Bee is owned by Mattell, and there's more. They almost lost Megatron at one point.

They say the movie will be out in 2005, but I find that highly unlikey with the amount of effects shots there will be.. they would have had to start filming it already me thinks. I also have no doubt that Hasbro will take advantage of it toywise. From what they said at OTFCC '03, there will still be a TV show line when the movie is supposed to hit, so that isn't going away. As for the quality, I'm not sure.. If Star Wars is any indication though...

Some of the cars were switched because they either: A) Don't manufacture the model anymore or B) Couldn't get the liscense from the car manufacturer.

Did you guys see the Wizard World Phily coverage? (I found the links at bwtf.com)

It's too bad Megazarak (repaint of Armada Megatron) is an OTFCC exclusive, it would have made a cool TFU figure (and with that bright blue color on some of the smaller pieces, it even has a signature TFU horrible colorscheme ).

I'm super depressed about Sentinel Prime being another OTFCC exclusive, except for the use of white plastic (again, what the hell is wrong with Hasbro and these awful left-turn color choices for certain parts?!?), he would have been a worthy TFU replacement for my never-found Energon Ultra Magnus & never-bought Armada Overload.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Sentinel Maximus looks too much like UM in vehicle mode.. I don't really dig his robot mode colors.

I like Mega Zarak less every time I see him.. and he IS a TFU item. All OTFCC items are Universe.

I'd rather have that weird Energon Megatron recolor that popped up, that is if they tone the green down a bit.. oh that's right, we never talked about that here huh?

Prime and Megs repaints are coming.. but they are store exclusives some say. Does that mean we'll get non store exclusive repaints?

Prime: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...193848483&rd=1

Megatron: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...193847818&rd=1

This thread has repaints that are assumed to be general releases. Repaint Ravage, repaint Cruellock(Doom-lock), repaint Ironhide, exclusive Megatron robot mode, and a terrible picture of exclusive Prime: http://www.2005boards.com/showthread.php?t=45347

Also, here's Superlink Lucky Draw Galvatron(lot nicer than our repaint ) : http://www.tfw2005.com/article-1957--0-0.html

This thread has several Universe toys that I don't really care about: http://www.2005boards.com/showthread.php?t=45346

And now for the bad news.. Robotmaster Starscream.. kinda sucks. Look at his arms, or lack there of. http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?TAK12423

Most of the listings on this page have newer pics : http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist.c...rmers%29&Dis=2

Adam, since I don't have Energon UM, I'm not holding that against SP.

Yeah yeah, but when I say "TFU" I don't mean "TFU that you can't get anywhere but super-limited at this one convention".

Lucky Draw is limited to only 50 pieces... why can't Hasbro & Takara just do the colors right the first time?!? Ridiculous. That yellow/green/dark green/black repaint is no prize pig IMO, the mold doesn't work well with those colors (though I can't imagine any toy working well with that bright green you mentioned).

Repaint Energon Prime - pointless IMO. Repaint Ravage gets uglier each time I see it, those colors just scream "avoid me like the plague". Doomlock actually has a unified color scheme, red/orangy dinosaur look, and I'm shocked that they're giving him orange Energon accessories, but I still dislike the toy design and won't buy another.

Repaint Ironhide finally makes some sense out of the mold, but turning the top junk blue and yellow does nobody any favors. Still, now that someone has pointed out to me that Cliffjumper is a Mega combiner (and of course it's obvious now that I've heard it though still not seen it), I think I'll be getting this repainted Ironhide.

On that TFU thread, I don't mind seeing Cheetor again even though he's gray, and Tarantulas is always a welcome sight though since I have already have the original, I'll pass. But what the hell is Hasbro thinking rereleasing Mutant Beast Soundwave?!? That figure sucked back in the day, it doesn't even have a robot mode except for the tiny head that pokes out when you hit a button, and the belly shell pieces and hips are trash. NOBODY wants that! Finally, don't like Waspy's gold & red scheme.

Robotmaster Starscream's arms are lame, but I might be able to forgive that depending on how it looks in person. Takara should have done a Robotmaster Megatron though (not Beast Megs, the real mccoy).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Robotmaster Starscream's arms are lame, but I might be able to forgive that depending on how it looks in person. Takara should have done a Robotmaster Megatron though (not Beast Megs, the real mccoy).
    I was thinking that too.. I just hope I hear of a domestic release before I spend 20 bucks on a 10 dollar toy.. RM Megatron could come later.

I'm just glad we're getting the Machine Wars basics, I LOVE those little buggers.

As is, I want G1 Convoy, Starscream, Wrecker Hook, Ligier(Mirage), Wing Stan, Air Hunter, R Blade, and I deffinately want Dreadwing and Smokescreen. You know, despite horrendus colors, Generation 2 really had some nice molds. Beast Convoy and Beast Megs I sorta want, but would be the last ones I pick up.

Hey guys, i stumbled across a Soundwave figure in good condition at a antique shop i seldom visit at a "mall" that is slowly dying. From what i was told, i missed out on some cassettes by a day or two. I got him for a little over $10 and from what i can see he is only missing his weapons and the cassette. One question though, in stereo mode, are his weapons supposed to fit in the back or does something else go there?
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

I think the weapons go in the back, but don't hold me to that.