Page 26 of 578 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126526 ... LastLast

Re: Transformers: Energon & Beyond

Because his combo with Prime is cool. That's really all there is to that figure.

It's not enough for me, not by a long shot, especially since he's like $25.

I did some checking, it's been almost 4 months since I last found a new Energon figure! That's not counting the defective Cliffjumper, recolored basics, the role play weapons, or Omega Supreme, but 4 months since I've seen any new basic or deluxe figures, it drives me nuts. What is up with this stall-out? This is the 20th anniversary of TF and Energon is the main line, Alternators already had a stall-out and now Energon is suffering a massive one.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

He's $19.99 actually.

That's why I said "like".

Meister & Tracks packaged: http://boards.allspark.com/index.php...post&id=997375
    http://boards.allspark.com/index.php...post&id=997373
    I don't think this looks so bad, the red is a better marketing color than blue and more Transformers-y. The cars seem to be higher up in the box, but I think the boxes are the same size as the blue ones.

The official Tranformers Hasbro site has done an update: http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/e...dn/default.cfm
    and here's my take...

Sledge: I like this one, looks good in alt mode and not bad in bot mode although a little shrimpy.

Duststorm: alt mode looks like a minicon, bot mode looks like a mess at the upper body. I'm pretty sure I won't be getting this one but his green brother.

Steamhammer: alt mode seems way oversized, bot mode looks marginal and unfortunately reminds me too much of Armada Scavenger (whom I loathe).

Beachcomber: Does nothing for me, the blue and white makes no sense and I already know I hate this mold, so it's an easy one for me to pass up (though having already owned Cliffjumper, this is the superior paint scheme... or rather, "less inferior"). Alt mode photo has the rear wheel way out of alignment.

Wingsaber: Alt mode, I swear I have this already from the Power Rangers: Time Force line. Looks like a big flying mess. Bot mode - "hi, I'm wingsaber, I have no SHOULDER ARTICULATION!!!" - beyond that, he also looks so much like he secretly is a PR Megazord it's scary. I just don't see why everybody's interested in this one at all.

Omega Sentinel: Hasbro should have waited to release this pic, gonna keep me from buying Omega Supreme now, that's for sure. This colorscheme looks way better.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The new Alternators package is reminiscent of the what the vintage Transformers came in. I personally liked the blue box but dont have any beef with the red they will be going with. Cant wait to get Jazz and Tracks. I hadnt seen any pictures of Wingsaber before and i must say if it werent for the photo being on the Transformers website i would think it was a Power Rangers toy. Needless to say its staying on the peg once i see it. Omega Sentinal looks better than Supreme. Any clue as to when Grimlock and Swoop should be hitting?
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who sees Wingsaber as a Power Rangers piece, most TF fans are howling for joy over this piece and I just ain't seeing why.

Grimmy & Swoop should be next month.

One thing I didn't notice about the new Alternators packaging is that there's no outer window. This is a pretty big mistake IMO as the dust and box-breakage issues will get a lot worse with this design. I like the graphics, but not the windowless window.

Grimlock and Swoop are actually scheduled for October.

"Scheduled" means very little to Hasbro.

I finally found Bulkhead. Is anybody having trouble with the hip ratchets on the drone? Mine are totally misaligned so neither jet/arm can stay parallel with the main body (or each other). If I see another, I'm taking this one back for exchange.

The packaging is a beast, lots and lots of twisties, and the clear tray over the vehicle holding the rotors is annoying.

I have to say, I love this figure design, this is easily one of my favorite figures in the line, although I don't like the color scheme, cheap materials, and joint problems (aforementioned drone joints and the hip joints having those spread joints with very few ratchet points leaving few angle choices but straight together or VERY wide apart). This figure is the king of designing, I think there are so many great ideas used here that this had to be a labor of love for some lucky designer.

The alt mode is cool, I like the use of the tail landing gear activating the rotors a lot and it's well-hidden, and the chopper is well-armed and bulky, looking like Blue Thunder evolved some; it feels fairly solid too, I feared it'd be a loose goose but nothing flops. The drone attached is ok too, brings enough weapons and big engines to bear that it is easy to forgive the covering of its main button in this mode.

Speaking of the drone, it is pretty cool in its own rite, the packaging doesn't even mention that the main button activates not only a machine gun sound but also LEDs within the clear blue guns that blink on and off. The drone in afterburner mode also makes a fairly convincing mini-ship. But more importantly, there's no mention of the coolest feature, found on the underside are 2 flush buttons, push one in and you get the transformation sound, push the other and you get the de-transformation sound!!! Minicon fans beware though, the only Minicon point is on the tail opposite the rear rotor.

Transformation to bot mode is very wild, there are so many folds and tricks, concepts from so many different TF lines, I found it to be one of the more satisfying transformations. And virtually nothing is left exposed, no open gaps anywhere that would cause the bot to not work, the back is a little open but I think of that more as the holder for the blade weapon than an exposed back.The transformation also allows for a mildly floppy gerwalk mode for those who like unofficial modes. The rotor blade weapon even has a peg which folds out and the rotors fold in slightly. The drone's transformation would be inconsequential except that the designers added a spring-loaded flap to cover the opening up half-way, adding a nice extra touch.

Bot mode is amazingly cool, a very serious look on the face (with nice lightpiping), good proportions, and tons of articulation, specifically: head, shoulders, shoulder "flapping", upper arm rotation, hinged elbows that can bend almost all the way back, universal-joint hips ("flapping" ratchet is a little lacking as previously mentioned), thigh rotation, ratchet-hinge knees, hinged upper-ankles (foreward & back), and hinged feet (tilting side to side). A lot of this articulation isn't even needed for tranformation. I didn't mention the panels on the sides of the waist which hold the missile launchers; speaking of the waist, it can rotate for transformation but is locked into place in bot mode, oh well. For undocumented features, the transformation allows for the hands to rotate around to reveal guns, the waist panels can fold out to the side and point the launchers straight up for jetpack action (or if you're brave, a minicon platform), and the upper back can still hold onto the rotor weapon for storage. I think the plant workers packaged the hips pointing backwards, they're uni-jointed with swivels before the knee, so they can rotate all the way around and still work equally well either way, but the way Bulkhead is found in the package has the screws pointing forwards. The legs are a little Gundam-y, but not as bad as Mirage's legs, while the feet here are fairly unique to this figure; the entire tail assembly hangs down the back all the way past the knees and restricting the backwards range of the legs, but if you tilt the legs out some you can get them further back for more dynamic poses.

The Drone's ED-209 mode looks cool and tough, I love how the feet open up and then are on these crazy ball joints, but because the "knee" joints on mine are ratcheting at the wrong angles, mine stands funny. The Drone in this mode is well-articulated with 22 separate points of articulation, including main guns, shoulders, shoulder-to-knee, universal knees, swivel upper thigh, thigh-to-big shin hinge, ball-jointed foot with 4 separate toes. The knee joints allow the Drone to stand almost as tall as Bulkhead, or with some adjustments as low as Bulkhead's waist, or just above his head. You can even get an unofficial gun emplacement out of this for Bulkhead to use by flipping the guns all the way over so the main electronics button is on the bottom and the guns are pointing backwards, this mode also brings 2 sets of nozzles as more blasters to the party, time to take down some flying Decepticons!

Bulkhead combines with the Drone in backpack mode fairly easily, adjust a couple panels on Bulkhead and then slide the backpack over the figure's back and it locks into place. Brute mode indeed! The figure's head now rests directly on the main electronics button, you can push the head back slightly and set off the sound (it is so close that it goes off by itself if you pick it up, but you can tilt the plate that the head rests on down a little to keep the button away from the head), the lightpiping even still works. The backpack brings big mighty arms into play and they're fully articulated, yet even with these big arms stretched fully in front of the figure, he can still stand upright, especially when you lean him back slightly. I dunno why a Transformer would need an exo-suit backpack, but it's very damn cool none the less.

JT, what did you mean by windowless window on the Alt packaging?

There's an outer window besides the fit-to-form plastic that holds the car in the box. You have to look at how the light is shining on the packaging "glass."

Or I misunderstood you.

Still no sign of Hound, Silverstreak, or Dead End in San Diego.

I check most stores since I Star Wars hunt.

How many per case ship? Are Sideswipe and Smokescreen still in the case assortments?

The only new thing around here is that Toys R Us got the Alternators whereas before I'd never noticed them there (Smokescreen and Sideswipe in good quantity that is).

All my Wal-Marts have from 2-4-8 or so of the S&S wave.

Ok, well scheduled was my word. It's not like they control when retailers put out their stuff anyway.