Page 32 of 578 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132532 ... LastLast

Re: Transformers: Energon & Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    I got the freebie demo at the Comic Con and played it on my brother-in-law's PS2 that weekend.
    Yeah, we got that demo at Comic-con also and my son had been playing it constantly -- he freaked out when he saw the screens at the con. I wanted to go out and buy it the next day, but decided to wait until his birthday.

I'm glad it's fun. I mean, I'm really glad it's fun. I've gotten us other cartoon based games -- mostly those Gundam games that didn't exactly turn out as well as we'd liked (though the Gundam fighter for PS1 is pretty good.) The controls are a bit tricky to get used to, but we've both got it down now.

I'm still playing the Amazon area... love shooting down those drop ships.

-----

Anyway, I gave in and picked up Slugslinger today. I'm glad I didn't get it for the kid, because it's way too fumbly for him. I think bot mode is cool, but the vehicle mode is kind of lame and awkward. Nothing seems to fit together very well. Mmm... Sharkticon next I think.
    plasticfetish.net

So get this, someone told me that in "TF: Galaxy Force", Master Megatron will have absorbed Unicron's powers. I mention this because as was pointed out at the time, in the figure photos that have just come out, you can actually see that his bot mode has elements that are reminiscent of Armada Unicron - the arms, shoulders, and shins are what I've noticed. This spin on the character definitely impacts what I think of the figure, some of the oddities make more sense now.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

i knew my patience would finally pay off... i hit the local wal-mart after work this evening, and scored hound, tracks, AND meister! they also had dead-end and silverstreak, but i'm not as interested in retools as in brand new molds...

awesome!

i'll report back with my feelings on these guys...
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

I picked up Meister and Tracks.

JAZZ, despite looking similar to Smokescreen and Sideswipe in some respects, it pretty different. His head sculpt is GREAT, but I wish there was more room for it to move around. The hole is just a little bit too small.

Tracks is kinda kibbly, but looks good.

yeah, i was going to bring up both of these points... i really like the way they did meister's goggles... not painted, actually blue tinted clear plastic...

meister is basically a more drastic re-tool of smokescreen/silverstreak... the new peg style connections to the tie-rods could've just as easily been magnets, but not a biggie... i think the way the arms come out and fold down independent of the front end/chest is more elegant - i always had a hard time folding smokescreen's arms out, what with his magnet brackets getting in the way. i always felt like i was forcing it. only gripe here is lack of space for the head... i feel like i'm scraping the hood with his chin to move the head around. i'm sure it's also because the neck joint is still stiff... once it loosens up a bit, i'll probably be alright with it.

tracks is pretty crazy... the legs were really stiff when i first popped them out. i like all the weapons he has, and the configurability of all the extra pieces. my only gripe is that he doesn't have ball joints at the ankles... other than that, i think this guy is a really successfull, very different transformation than the other guys.

hound is really cool, too... the chest cavity doesn't really bother me too much. the lack of arm manuverability is the only drawback to me... also, the legs/feet were hard for me to figure out (of course, it was like, midnight after working 11 hours... i wasn't all there...) but once figured out, i think his legs are the best of any of them so far... poseability par excellance. the ratcheted feet are cool, too.

of course, the car modes all kick major butt! the major suspension on hound, and the very well done interior on jazz (i mean, meister...) plus the great detail on tracks' engine are all major bonuses. i agree that they could've given tracks the limited edition striping, but i don't care that much. i can't wait for the next go-round!!!

EDIT: i forgot to add that i'm mixed on the new packaging... i like the red (ties in with classic line) but the no window/just bubble packing is kinda meh. i would've rather they just had the window and no bubble. whatever, not like i left it in the package longer than the drive home anyway!
    Last edited by darthvyn; 11-04-2004 at 04:08 PM.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Based on positive reviews of Meister here and abroad, I picked him up yesterday. He looks better in person, but still could definitely use some more color, especially around the midsection, and some pinstriping, and a spoiler. I'm afraid Mazda's RX-8 just doesn't seem even a little sporty to me, I know it was a labor of love to save their rotary engine, but they should have made it a little "sexier" as the British would say.

My Meister has a wonky seat that makes up the left half of his torso, it won't go in as far as the other side - it's not a huge gap, but it's noticable. The way the doors work in alt mode is pretty neat (though the outer halves of the front doors are way loose on their sliding joint), I wish there was more of an engine, but the alt mode is pretty neat. Transformation is significantly different from Smokescreen, though I still haven't figured out what is going on with that underside panel at the feet or how the bumper should be (down or forward?), and transforming the arms back up is a pain because of lining the steering bar parts together. The weapon is cool, and you can fold the stock back in and have the gun become a shorter pistol, the trigger is facing backwards but the gun still fits in the fist fine thanks to the peg/hole system (though the peg and hole here are more trouble than on Smokey).

Even though his colors are bland, they make a great contrast to all the other Alternators figs making it finally look like a real team. I'd recommend Meister for sure, but not as an "exciting" toy.

-----

I also found TFU Nemesis Prime at Target, picked him up upon seeing him on shelves for the first time. Hasbro badly mistranformed him for the packaging, but that was nothing compared to the psychotic amount of twisties and clear-bands. Getting him out of the box was terrible work, even with a pair of wire clippers.

Shouldn't this really be "Nemesis Primal"? The colors aren't as bad as I was expecting in either mode, the tan is bad but more forgivable than the Armada Nemesis Prime figure. The figure reminds me a little of BW Primal, black with gray alt mode, lever-action gimmick, pop-out missile-launchers, even the tonfa remind me of the awesome skull mace on Primal.

Alt mode's paint has a few issues, mainly the silver paint lines not lining up, but the only thing that's noticably annoying is that the levers for the missile-launchers are not painted even though they're surrounded by a sea of silver; I dig the bloody tusks and red eyes, very nasty stuff. The trunk action gimmick is pretty stiff, I suspect if the plastic were warmed up, it'd be maliable enough to look even cooler than it already does. I like how under the trunk is an open mouth, good touch. Most of the panels aren't a problem except for the bot mode's forearm panel now on the right side of the figure, but with the scythe missiles loaded, the launcher panels doesn't want to totally agree with their surroundings. Still, overall, fairly solid for a shellmastery fig like this. Beast weapon mode is pretty lame, and I cannot imagine how they expect anybody to fire the missiles in this configuration.

Transformation is fairly decent, I can get it to and from without removing the big trunk/blaster stuff, I only have trouble with the mammoth's rear legs getting around when transforming back to alt mode, oh and the scythe launcher panels come off their posts every time now. Also, at first I didn't even realize the front mammoth leg shells plugged into the bot mode legs at top and bottom, instructions are pretty lame.

Bot mode is impressive although the head is a wee bit too big and the figure looks doofy with the big gun on his back, it gets in the way far too often. The various gimmicks are fun, but I loathe the dial that is supposed to fire the gun's missiles, this thing is awful to use. The "Dead Matrix Annex" is very nifty, and like most of the panels, there are great tech details sculpted on the interior of the chest cavity. Having the Maximal logo in the chest is too confusing for me though, if he's a baddy he SHOULDN'T be wearing that. The eyes should have been light-piped, as it is, you can't even see that they're translucent red.

All in all, this is one of the coolest figures in TFU, and I dig him more in this colorscheme than I would if he were simply another Optimus. Definitely worth getting if you don't have BW:Neo Big Convoy.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Shouldn't this really be "Nemesis Primal"?
    That's what I said!

Really? I guess it just makes sense. It's worth getting, that's for sure.

Anybody have an opinion on any of the recent TFU figs? I've been seeing the boxed figures, specifically Soundwave and whatshisname, not sure if I want these or not.

Nah, don't get Soundwave. He's extreme brickage and his colors suck. The Cyberjet is cool, but not $20 cool. Kinda wish I hadn't bought it.

I think the Cyberjet two-pack looks great though. Definately will get that one. And Swerve is pretty tame for a TFU repaint, and its looks decent. I may pick it up, but probably not.

Ok, so I think the 2-pack IS cool. (Picked them up today.) I saw Swerve as well, but didn't get him. Kinda wish I had... when I got to the register and the jets didn't ring up with a price, and the toy manager gave the cashier the upc for an Energon basic! Oh well.

The Decepticon jet Wind Sheer matches colors with Space Case (the jet that came with Soundwave) pretty well. Makes them look part of a team. Autobot Air Raid shares some color with them, and makes me think of him as a former Decepticon who joined the Autobots, formally part of the team Space Case and Wind Sheer compromise.

I wish Universe had a monthly comic.