Page 39 of 578 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139539 ... LastLast

Re: Transformers: Energon & Beyond

I found Windcharger last night at Target! Woo!!

And I'll go out on a limb here and say if the rumors of planes are true, I hope the repaint favor is returned to the Autobots. I'd like to see updates of Powerglide, Jetfire, Silverbolt, and Slingshot.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Picked up Highwire & Kicker and Barricade at Target yesterday...

Energon Kicker & Highwire - cute set, kinda simplistic, dunno why they actively locked down Highwire's right shoulder though, Kicker is sorta lame and his hands are too soft to hold him on the bike very well.

Energon Barricade - This figure kicks arse! There's plenty to like. Vehicle mode is a little compact and the face is barely hidden at all (in packaging it's facing forward so it's not even facing the wall behind it), the weird gap in the middle was an oddity but it now seems like the head is a radar unit and needs this open space for that so it's alright. The missile box can be folded back to almost make a flatbed for the truck, except no wheels.

Transformation is interesting, the head has to get out of the way of a tab early on though but there's plenty to do. Lining up the backpack parts didn't come easily at first, but everything except the sides actually has its own place (the sides sit slightly open around the part holding it in place).

Bot mode is blocky yet still poseable. The head with the big earmuffs is a little strange, but I got used to it, looks like he's wearing headphones or something. Lightpiping for the eyes doesn't work too well, easily the worst of the 3 deluxe combiner torso figs. I like the big blocky feet, and the small vertical heelspurs keep him upright despite the huge backpack. The fists can hold regular weapons, but the forearms get in the way of most Energon weapons (an all-too-common problem for Decepticon figures in this line).

Transformation to torso mode is neat and bulks up the body at the chest, shoulders and even stomach. However, the transformation to torso mode has this plate that holds the head and the plate pops off its metal rod fairly easily if you push it too far - it's a minor annoyance once you get used to popping it back on. The Hasbro instructions and photos show the waist 2 different ways, I prefer the way they actually have it in the step-by-step though with the vents on the front because this brings the hips forward a few millimeters.

Torso mode is the best of all 3 Energon deluxe torsos, it's totally filled in and has good dimensions, bulky like I said before but also the shoulders and head are in the right places and the head isn't too big or too small. There are several subtle touches like the missiles ports on either side of the chest and plenty of detail from bot and vehicle mode as well. The combined bot just looks really cool with the 2 Construction and 2 Superion basics out now, I think the gestalt will work best with a mix-n-match philosophy rather than using the repaint limbs.

All in all, very very cool.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Ah... very cool! I saw Energon Barricade the other day, and I was really tempted to buy him. I really like the big blockish style. Now I'll probably get that whole combiner set -- I wanted to get at least one of them, I suppose that's it.
    plasticfetish.net

Another thing that makes Barricade so cool as a torso compared to the other EnerTorsos is that Barricade has waist articulation in torso mode. Also, his ratchets for the limbs are much better than Stormjet & Steamhammer's.

Barricade is blocky without being a brick, that's what I really like, he's got the articulation to move yet none of it is ball-jointy which I know a lot of TF fans prefer.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Hello. Didn't know there was a TF thread here. I already feel like I'm home.

I have found nothing of interest in the SoCal area in a couple of weeks, though I've been checking two LA Targets daily for the last week. The last thing I found was a Energon Barricade (of whom JT gave a very accurate review, although I disagree with the screwholes facing forward) and Alt. Swindle (who I found again at a Target in Inglewood with 2 Meisters on Saturday, meaning I missed the ever elusive Grimlock or Windcharger--I don't remember who's in that case). Haven't seen Kicker yet (or Windcharger, or Grimlock, as I mentioned before) but I'm reading reports on other sites from the NoCal area.

Well I saw Kicker... and waved goodbye to it. I already have the microman one, and the lazy paint apps on the Hasbro version don't appeal to me.

Barricade IS cool like JT said though.

so, i've been thinking about how they could do an alternator of another character that wasn't originally a car... i mean, if grimlock can be a 'stang...

what if they turned a scion xb into

SOUNDWAVE!

now, before anyone jumps on a post about how it's an ugly car, i agree. i don't like the looks of it at all. but just think about how fitting it is. boxy (a rectangular tape deck on wheels?) huge, rectagular back window (tape deck window??) large square front fenders and hood (big chunky feet???)

not only that, but since they've been doing the decepticons in a "tuner" fashion, this would make so much sense. and to keep the "sound" in soundwave, it could have one of those crazy sound system "pimp my transformer" style speakers inside... like this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	546869_6.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	10012  
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

That's creative. I'm lukewarm to the idea. I'm not sure yet, but I haven't thought of anything better for Soundwave yet.

Maybe one of those radar-dish planes - the sound part works, but the shape and function is totally out of character for him...

Soundwave is a tough call for an Alternator.

They're turning shockwave into an Rx-8, I think soundwave as a "Pimp my ride" style speaker-system on wheels is a fine idea. It could be the first original Decepticon mold, then tweak it for Blaster. And maybe the speakers come out and transform into Rumble and Frenzy or Rewind and Eject.

And while we're dreaming, I'd like a Robotmasters Gun Megatron. That'd be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddymac
    And maybe the speakers come out and transform into Rumble and Frenzy or Rewind and Eject.
    i was just thinking that they could turn the seats and bass box into all the tapes. that way they could clear out the interior so it's not just hanging off the back (i.e. hound/swindle...)
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope