Page 51 of 565 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151551 ... LastLast

Re: Transformers: Energon & Beyond

You all have to realize that the Alts line is dying. Before when it was very popular you couldn't find any of the new toys that were out. When I go to target or wherever I see them all there. No one seems to be buying them anymore. I wouldn't hold your breath for jets or tanks or anything like that. I've heard from several Hasbro spokespeople on Alts and they said no before, so.
    "I have you now."

I don't see how you could say the only line myself and others I've heard of buying Transformers actually purchase is failing?

What I don't buy is repaints of the same molds, with minor or no variations.

I don't buy characters that have been totally changed:

Grimlock is a dinosaur. A Mustang that turned into a Dino I'd have bought.

Ravage is a Jaguar. A Jaguar or even a Corvette that turned into a cat I'd have bought - and they were so close - if they'd made Ravage walk on all 4's with new arm extensions, and given him a tail...

Shockwave was gun. So some kind of military vehicle (dark in color) would have worked much better hijacking what we knew as "Jazz."

Combiners should either combine or at least have similar heads to what they used to (Swindle, Dead End, Drag Strip, Wild Rider).

And what I want are key characters like Megatron and Starscream, close to their original forms (a ranged weapon, and a jet airplane)

But I think Alternators could live on - and long. I do not buy other neon and offscale Transformers products - nor do Generation 1 commemoratives excite me any more like they used to - not next the Alternators!

I'm totally with you, Tycho, though I have weakened and bought "inaccurate" Alternators like Grimlock and Shockwave. I was on the fence (leaning toward no) about Decepticharge until seeing the pics in the Entertainment Earth catalog last night, and I think I'm going to have to give in since he's one of the best-looking Alternators yet.

But the fact that some stores still have one Smokescreen and two Silverstreaks, and others have had no Alternators on the shelf (new or old) for the better part of a year, really concerns me. I'd forgotten about Prowl earlier, but I have a nasty feeling this line won't be around to collect much longer, unless it somehow merges with the TF movie figures.

And it's much easier to pass on the cheap neon repaints of Beast Wars and RID that seem to make up the other lines right now.

Either way, I suspect final word and a lot of new info will be found at ComicCon.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    I'm totally with you, Tycho, though I have weakened and bought "inaccurate" Alternators like Grimlock and Shockwave. I was on the fence (leaning toward no) about Decepticharge until seeing the pics in the Entertainment Earth catalog last night, and I think I'm going to have to give in since he's one of the best-looking Alternators yet.

But the fact that some stores still have one Smokescreen and two Silverstreaks, and others have had no Alternators on the shelf (new or old) for the better part of a year, really concerns me. I'd forgotten about Prowl earlier, but I have a nasty feeling this line won't be around to collect much longer, unless it somehow merges with the TF movie figures.

And it's much easier to pass on the cheap neon repaints of Beast Wars and RID that seem to make up the other lines right now.

Either way, I suspect final word and a lot of new info will be found at ComicCon.
    A new Alt prototype just bounced onto the internet. Rumors circulating it's Rodimus Prime, others saying it's Ironhide. Either way, it's a Toyota Scion. Looks like the MPV rumor was right. Where's that link...

http://www.tfw2005.com/gallery/News-Alternator-Ironhide

Anyway, the company I was talking about is called Honeywell, or something. You see their "knockoffs" in stores all the time, but they've got a Supra and something else that's very Alternator-ish, but not by Hasbro. And different licenses. But this throws a wrench in my assessment so...who knows?

Also, BBTS has a preorder up for Star Convoy.
    All Hail Darth Schmitsky!

that's crazy! that's the car i said they should make soundwave out of! the scion xB! (scion is the manufacturer, not the make... toyota is the company that created scion, however...) for soundwave, i would've made it so the back window was the chest, and the front end became his feet, but whatever. my money's on ironhide, this doesn't say rodimus prime to me. although it really doesn't say ironhide to me, either. oh, well, maybe i'll see more of ironhide in the colored prototype.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    Car Companies that have no Transformer Alternators yet:

Chevy (if you don't count Corvette)
    well, why wouldn't you count the corvette?

Quote Originally Posted by tycho
    Chrisler
    daimler/chrysler owns jeep, so yup, they have too...

Toyota
    if the xB alt is true, then this one's taken care of, too...

Geo
    Saturn
    GMC
    Pontiac
    all owned by GM, who also owns chevy, so these are basically taken care of...

Lexus
    also part of toyota

Military Companies:

Hummer
    ALSO part of GM

i agree, however, there's still a lot that could be done within the manufacturer "imprints" but most of them are all parts of larger corporations. and you didn't mention honda in there at all!
    Last edited by darthvyn; 06-08-2005 at 10:43 PM.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Quote Originally Posted by darthvyn
    that's crazy! that's the car i said they should make soundwave out of! the scion xB! (scion is the manufacturer, not the make... toyota is the company that created scion, however...) for soundwave, i would've made it so the back window was the chest, and the front end became his feet, but whatever. my money's on ironhide, this doesn't say rodimus prime to me. although it really doesn't say ironhide to me, either. oh, well, maybe i'll see more of ironhide in the colored prototype.

well, why wouldn't you count the corvette?

if the xB alt is true, then this one's taken care of, too...

all owned by GM, who also owns chevy, so these are basically taken care of...

also part of toyota

ALSO part of GM

i agree, however, there's still a lot that could be done within the manufacturer "imprints" but most of them are all parts of larger corporations. and you didn't mention honda in there at all!
    Just so you guys are up on current Hasbro events, at Comic-Con last year Hasbro announced that they had the Hummer license for the GI JOE brand. Seems an easy jump over to Transformers. I still think we'll see it happen, sooner than later.
    All Hail Darth Schmitsky!

The head looks more like Rodimus Prime's than Ironhide I think...

There's no room for a spoiler of some sorts on this kind of vehicle as an add-on?

It's very boxy for Rodimus and weak for an Autobot LEADER. The decales might help - but Rodimus should be more of a camper-RV type of thing with some power to it.

If I was in the car market, btw, I'd pass on buying something that looks like this to drive, personally.

As for whether I'd buy it as an Alternator - sure! It looks like it will Transform differently from the others etc.

I'll wait and watch the rumors on who the repaints could be and then decide to get one and only one of the repaints (like I waited and did not buy Grimlock though I love the Mustang - so I bought Wheeljack who was more appropriate of character for this sort of thing).

As to repaints and possibilities:

AUTOBOTS:

Rodimus Prime - not a great idea, but looks possible
    Ironhide - not a great ideam but better than Rodimus
    Trailbreaker - a good idea. This could work.
    Kup - should be a pickup truck. No question. So no on the proto shown.
    Swerve - sure. I could care less. But I'd buy him.
    Gears - ditto.

DECEPTICONS:

MotorMaster - I suppose so. It's weak, but could work.
    Onslaught (hope not!) - NOT! Oh that'd be a crime!
    Rumble? - I guess because an SUV rumbles? If they made pile-driver arms???

On that last note, they made Ravage a car, so...

I hope it's Trailbreaker, and Ironhide secondly.

If they make pick-ups like the Ford F-350 into Ironhide and repaint it as Kup - there I might buy both paint jobs. A Chevy S-10 could work there as well.

I think Ironhide could be a better SUV than this thing - which is not really an SUV I think. Ironhide could be a Toyota 4-Runner, or Jeep Grand Cherokee - but so should Trailbreaker.

Quote Originally Posted by darthvyn
    (scion is the manufacturer, not the make... toyota is the company that created scion, however...)
    You are correct, though Scion is just another division of Toyota like Lexus, except that I believe Scion is more closely linked with Toyota's main badge's manufacturing, as Toyota stopped making the MR2 Spyder and Celica to concentrate on the Scion.

They also own Dodge, which makes the Viper, the #2 figure in the line.

and you didn't mention honda in there at all!
    Or Nissan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    The head looks more like Rodimus Prime's than Ironhide I think...
    Perhaps, but that hasn't meant jack squat in this line lately.

There's no room for a spoiler of some sorts on this kind of vehicle as an add-on?
    There is, the xB is very customizable, but the spoiler looks kinda silly on top of that flat shape IMO.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    There is, the xB is very customizable, but the spoiler looks kinda silly on top of that flat shape IMO.
    EVERYTHING looks silly on that flat shape! except a soundwave alternator!!!!!

i really love the scion tC... hopefully the xB proto is real, and then maybe they'll make a tC!
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

I'll buy this mold for:

Yes - Ironhide, in maroon-red
    No - Soundwave - in any color
    No- Rodimus Prime - with or without a spoiler
    Yes - Trailbreaker - should be used for him instead of a Jeep Wrangler anyway.

On that note, my Hound broke.

I transform these guys maybe 1 or 2 times a month, just changing how I display them.

The hinge on his driver's side door broke. I can put the door on for 'bot mode right now and it stays put, but I want a fully-hinged door and I don't know how it'll handle as it is in vehicle mode.

I plan to write Hasbro and send them off a letter letting them know I can bring Hound to Comic Con in a month so they can fix him, or they could let me buy a driver's side door from them and send it to me in the mail.

Hound is not found in the stores here any more. Never was that common here anyway. He's also one of my favorite characters. I don't really want to replace mine anyway. I've made friends with him. I just want a new door for him.