Page 151 of 585 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201251 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 5849
    Hopefully that's an EARLY prototype, there are some good things about it like the cartoon-derived head, but the scope seems too large and the legs are too thin. But it's a good start. I hope he's at least as big as MP Prime, anything smaller will be a disappointment.

A review with new photos of Classics OP vs Megs 2pack:
    http://tformers.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=739

Ouch! I'm not so sure I'll be getting this set now.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I took your advice and rushed to Target last night.

And I found...

Mirage.

Just one, mixed in with a few Astrotrains. No Grimlocks.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Still, a better find than I came up with... nothing. Didja buy him? Howis?

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I did buy him, but didn't get to open him yesterday. I should be able to this evening. I did notice that he's the first to have substantial changes to his bio. (He's now an easy-going fella, always quick with a joke, rather than a pompous aristocrat who wonders if he should be a Decepticon instead.)

So I noticed after posting that comment that Target's getting Magnus vs Skywarp. I assume Skywarp will be a straight black repaint of Starscream. Anything special about Magnus, or another white Optimus Prime repaint?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm not crazy about Masterpiece Megatron as of yet. I think I'll need to see more pictures. I agree with JT's assessment that the scope looks too big and I'm a bit tired of an over-sized gun that's larger than a semi-truck.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Does that Megatron even have a right hand? I actually wanted that set... ....wanted.....

CM, I sent a message.

I may well have been wrong about the movie script. When the review was posed to several forums (SSG and BWTF among them) some people disputed that the script was likely fake, and asked a reasonable enough question: How did it compare with other scripts, especially from the genre?
    As the bulk of the scripts I have seen were in a classroom setting (part of film classes taken long ago as an undergrad), this was a fair question. While visiting with a friend (going by the name Surge) last night, I ran the script by him, both a hardcopy, and a PDF. He is *wuite* the film buff.
    He glanced over the script. He, reasonably, argued that the many holes and flaws in the plot (that I did not ennumerate fully in my review) were normal for the genre. And, the writing style was consistent with what he had seen in other scripts. As he explains it, script writers are essentially writing down to their audience. (Their audience being producers and studio officials.)
    For giggles, he did an internet search, and found several scripts from the same genre, and said scripts had the same childish writing style (exclamation points, excessive caps, and the like). While he could not find any scripts by the writers of the TF script we had, he could find a list of movies credited to them.........and it was not encouraging.
    Surge also used a bit of forensics. The copies he saw had what looked to be a water-mark going across the page. I intitially took this to be a "confidential" stamp. Surge used to work in a bank, and thus has some familiarity with how water-marks work. Without getting bogged down in the technical details, he determined that the "stamp" was in fact a watter mark, on a page that had been written on, and then scanned into a computer.
    That, combined with what we know of the script (it surgacing in August), mean that if this is a hoax, it is extremely labor intensive.
    The one thing that gave him pause was the sheer amount of product placement (yahoo, XBox and other recognizeable names and popular songs). Unless this is a later draft, such things are usually not included, as the writer is unlikely to know what they have a right/obligation to include. Of course, if this is a real script, then the product placement probably means it is a much later stage draft than one might optimistically hope.
    Bottom line, this one might be for real. Either way, we will find out next summer.
    That being said, on with the reviews: Comics, toys, and some other stuff are on the menu this week.

Toys:
    Shadow Recon Team:
    Yay, 1/2 of the last wave (Wave 10) of the Scout line for Cybertron! And, they are all mine! Long and short, these are recolors of the previous Recon Team, but cast in clears and blues. The effect has been done better on other toys for other lines, and worse on other toys. There is some good work on the Jolt (the copter) in terms of hiding internal mechanisms with clear plastic. There are also a few points, mostly on Reverb (the truck), that could have done with less color (both in paint and plastic. SixSpeed (the car) is the most improved. A few things are worth noting. The packaging has Giant Planet heraldry. This may be a reference to the cartoon, or it may be a printing error. And, Jolt in blue plastic looks even more like a Micronaut than Jolt cast in red. The biggest flaw with this set lies in Hasbro's lax distribution of late.
    Grade: B These are worth picking up, especially if yo do not have the originals. But, do not pay more than 10-12 bucks.
    Hightail:
    The other half of the 10th and final Scout wave. No new molding or great innovations hear. Hightail is a recolor of Lugnutz. Nothing here is likely to greatly change one's mind on the mold. If you hated "Nutz, you will hate this. If you like 'Nutz, you will like this. The colors on this one are a bit better than Lugnutz, and the bio note is one of the more interesting offered by the line.
    Grade: B A solid enough toy, but as with the Shadow Recon Team, do not go too crazy looking for it if you have the previous use of the mo.

Other:
    Unicron.com Golden Disk set:
    All told, this was worth the 12 bucks. For those who do not know, the ownwers of Unicron.com customize and kitbash at a level that most fans simply do not have the skill to do. While selling custom figures is common enough, the Lukis brothers design and mass-produce custom toys. This past year, they produced a set of Golden Disks from the Beast Wars series. Both disks have unique, and detailed sculpting on both sides. (For example, the phrase "Sounds of Earth" is legible on the "Voyager" disk.) As an added bonus, the set also includes a pre-fabricated disk holder, should a fan want to customize a Transmetal Megatron to hold the disks.
    Grade: A Buy these. Now.
    Reviews in passing and in package:

Classics Bumblebee
    Basically, a lil' Alternator. In fairness, Bumblebee is better engineered than your average Alternator, but has the same bothersome allignment questions common to the line. Combine that with a stupidly out of scale accessory, and we have a truly mediocre toy that should have been better. Buy one if it strikes your fancy, but nothing to go nuts over.
    Classics Starscream
    The transform on this is intricate, innovative, and avoids being overly complicated. For all that though, the designers got lazy with the nosecone of the jet. And, as must every other character in Classics got an updated form, it is a bit perplexing that Starscream not be given a more modern alternate form. (After all, Hasbro clearly has a thing for F-22s.) Not a perfect toy, but not a bad one by any means.

Dom
    -not planning to hunt for toys for a good long time.......

This was very coincidental, but I watch the City of San Diego government channel - our televised City Council sessions. I like that sort of thing.

They had a debate about regulating ice cream trucks to selling only food products. Apparently, besides selling tobacco products, they are selling very realistic replica guns to youngsters in our predominatly black or Mexican neighborhoods.

Our Council heard testimony from an attorney that defends youths often enough. Adults committing threats with a fake gun can plead deals from 5 years in prison down to probation. Kids get an automatic 5 years in juvenile detention and the felony on their record is permanent and cannot be sealed or made to disappear. Kids cannot plea bargain deals as they are not adults. I hope I got all that straight.

They also said that often enough, kids and gang members a like, just show the gun, tucked in the waistline - see Ice Cube in Boyz in the Hood. Even an orange tip is covered that way. And they continue to sell these realistic replica guns or AirSoft weapons from Ice Cream Trucks!

Look, I'd sort of want Megatron for nostalgic reasons and I certainly wouldn't resell him to a child.

However I also was a former local council member and would vote on ordinances like this one.

I think in order to protect my constituents, their businesses, and their families, I'd have to consider a vote to ban Megatron.

The law says that you cause undo stress from fear of bodily harm by showing a weapon, at school, in a bank robbery, wherever. Kids do stupid things even with toy guns. Heck, adults do stupid things.

I've brought the matter up before: what if someone alters a Nerf gun or SuperSoaker to fire real bullets and kills with it? Well, I'm sure it could be done, but what criminal wants to take the chance that their toy won't be taken seriously if they threaten someone with a SuperSoaker during a car jacking. Yeah, the modified gun will kill you, but you might not know that. On the other hand, a gang hit with a modified SuperSoaker on a beach, might just work.You take a real gun, mold bright plastic parts around it and add a silencer in bright colors and there you go.

I'm for the right to own personal firearms. I want the 2nd Ammendment clarrified, so that everyone knows it means you can go buy a handgun and keep it loaded in your home.

I think that you should be licensed and educated about it, as should any family members living with you - and you might want to lock it up very securely if you have guests staying with you.

I'm at my cousins' at the moment and I hate a straight keyboard (my hands hurt) so I'll continue later from home on my natural keyboard. This bugs me enough that I've meant to buy a natural keyboard to carry in my backback to USB connect to my laptop!

But I'm not sure if this should go off to the Rancor Pit discussions about 2nd Ammendment rights, or not - but it is also about MPE 05 Megatron as well.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Wow, that OP/Megs set is really underwhelming. I'll probably pick up the Skywarp/Magnus set though especially since at 19.99 it's quite a bargain considering that voyager class magnus alone would cost that much. I can't wait for Jetfire either!

Did anyone pick up Titanium Optimal Optimus by any chance?

JT, i actually have that mold of BW Megs from the BW anniversary repaints and so i didn't want to buy the cybertron green version.

JT: Mirage is rather cool. I'm not sure that he's a $10 toy -- he's very skinny and a bit gappy in places, but still a nice toy. (Maybe not a display piece on par with the Alternators, though.)

My main complaint (and only real one) is the lack of a gun. I don't care for the "front of the car snaps off and becomes a crappy-looking 'weapon.'"

If you've not seen him up close, well, you've probably noticed the "Witwicky Sparkplugs" ad on the spoiler. Well, there's another "easter egg" on the front (which, unfortunately, also means it's on the gun). I forget the exact wording, but it's "Lithonian" something.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I did buy him, but didn't get to open him yesterday. I should be able to this evening. I did notice that he's the first to have substantial changes to his bio. (He's now an easy-going fella, always quick with a joke, rather than a pompous aristocrat who wonders if he should be a Decepticon instead.)
    I should kick you for buying it and not opening it, you don't deserve to own this figure!!!

So I noticed after posting that comment that Target's getting Magnus vs Skywarp. I assume Skywarp will be a straight black repaint of Starscream. Anything special about Magnus, or another white Optimus Prime repaint?
    Skywarp will be black/purple and have a notably different paint pattern, Ultra Mag will be white with blue and tiny Autobot symbols on his shoulders, and I think he looks pretty sharp considering he's merely a repaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Guglieme View Post
    Does that Megatron even have a right hand?
    I looked carefully, he does.

So if the script is real Dom, weren't my warnings all those months ago prophetic?

There is some good work on the Jolt (the copter) in terms of hiding internal mechanisms with clear plastic.
    Hmm, I think I disagree, he has no internal mechanisms to hide, and you can see he's hollow.

And, Jolt in blue plastic looks even more like a Micronaut than Jolt cast in red.
    HAW! That's an awesome analogy!

The colors on this one are a bit better than Lugnutz
    Really? I felt the opposite, that they looked cheaper and less interesting, but that was based only on viewing it in the bubble and seeing the bot in the packaging photo on the back.

Classics Bumblebee
    Basically, a lil' Alternator. In fairness, Bumblebee is better engineered than your average Alternator, but has the same bothersome allignment questions common to the line. Combine that with a stupidly out of scale accessory, and we have a truly mediocre toy that should have been better. Buy one if it strikes your fancy, but nothing to go nuts over.
    Did you buy this or just examine it?

Classics Starscream
    The transform on this is intricate, innovative, and avoids being overly complicated. For all that though, the designers got lazy with the nosecone of the jet. And, as must every other character in Classics got an updated form, it is a bit perplexing that Starscream not be given a more modern alternate form. (After all, Hasbro clearly has a thing for F-22s.) Not a perfect toy, but not a bad one by any means.
    I totally disagree about the nosecone, I think it was an acceptable choice, he can look right or left just fine. My complaints are the lackluster underside of the jet (it being pure kibble and all) and the blocky, limited nature of the robot body.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    Did anyone pick up Titanium Optimal Optimus by any chance?
    Not I, though I've seen it a bunch of times now. I barely like the full-sized original version, this doesn't even look THAT good. I saw Scourge at Target the other day for the first time, I just ain't into it though and passed on that too.

JT, i actually have that mold of BW Megs from the BW anniversary repaints and so i didn't want to buy the cybertron green version.
    Ah, ok then, yeah, really don't need 2 of it. You made the right choice getting Beast OP in the CY paint scheme, looks way better than the BW 10th version.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    JT: Mirage is rather cool. I'm not sure that he's a $10 toy -- he's very skinny and a bit gappy in places, but still a nice toy. (Maybe not a display piece on par with the Alternators, though.)
    Aww, that's not good to hear. I'll still buy him the second I see him though.

My main complaint (and only real one) is the lack of a gun. I don't care for the "front of the car snaps off and becomes a crappy-looking 'weapon.'"
    It's not an issue for me since Mirage is generally a non-fighting character. I can take it or leave it.