Page 427 of 582 FirstFirst ... 327377417423424425426427428429430431437477527 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,270 of 5812
    I saw that Autobot WWII era bomber plane in the store (Target) today.

It really looked nice.

I'm tempted to start a couple "military Transformers" collections.

One would be old-school, like this Autobot plane, and the scout-class bi-plane that came out with the ROTF figures. Forgot his name, but JT showed me the toy. I think his name was recycled from a G1 Insecticon.

Anyway, the other collection would be modern military. I guess I'd buy the Deluxe size Seeker jets. I've seen Dirge and Thrust in the stores and they are nice. The old Generations Starscream from a couple of years back was cool, too.

I could just go ballistic, seeking out and finding this stuff!

And then what?

I don't have enough room to display what I've got.

When I get my big display cases moved in, I think I'm going to set up "Egypt" in one of them, and arrange my ROTF Transformers and then put a framed picture of Michael Bay on top of it.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Highbrow is the voyager WW2 plane, Divebomb is the red repaint of the scout WW1 plane.

The idea of merely regurgitating movie scenes is so boring and limited to me.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post

The idea of merely regurgitating movie scenes is so boring and limited to me.
    I could sympathize with that.

But it does provide some reference for me to "draw the line," else my Transformers collection could get as crazy as my Star Wars collection.

The military hardware collection is, however, one of my alternate ideas.

And yes - it's Highbrow that I saw (Coolness!)

Getting him and Divebomb - or maybe the previous coloring of the bi-plane that you brought to show me, JediTricks - all in a scene - perhaps with Hubcap - would be awesome.

There are many more examples of modern military hardware in the Transformers line - realistically colored, too. (Example of non-realisitc coloring is say, traditional animated Starscream - which is why I bought the dark paint scheme version of the Masterpiece from overseas).

We all have our tastes, but I agree with JediTricks that just regurgitating movie scenes can get boring (and limiting). Still, it will be a cool challenge to design a pyramid and an "Egypt diorama" to display my figures in.

People should be well aware that one major characteristic of me (Tycho) buying the toys is for building displays with them.

A lot of people have many different reasons too: carded collectors, enthusiasts who just like touching the toys and transforming them, and maybe there are even some who can still actually "play" with them (make Autobots and Decepticons shoot each other and fire the spring loaded missiles and so-on in their own made-up adventures with them).

I used to do that last one with my G1 toys back in the day.

Now I've made up my own novel to publish instead. It's become work, but I play too, dressing up as my characters and riding horses and charging the enemy in realistic battle-re-enactments.

Eventually, I will get into modern chase videos with car and boat stunts I hope.
    That will come closest to Michael Bay's driving BumbleBee through the glass windows of that warehouse when he rescues Sam and so on. Unfortunately, I wrote a Jaguar into my story. That will be expensive to fix. Maybe I should just crash my Ravage Alternator!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Ferrari is bringing back the Lancia Stratos next year! Why is this Transformers news? Because G1 Wheeljack was a Lancia Stratos, and since Bay is forcing the next movie to have a Ferrari Autobot, they could conceivably be able to extend to extend that license to the Stratos.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Those of you in SoCal, be on the lookout for Skullgrin, Thunderwing, and Cybertronian Cliffjumper. All three found at Target in Redlands today (one Cliffjumper, two of the others). No "Reveal the Shield" figures; I suspect because there's so much movie crap already.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Well, my mama always said, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." So, that in mind....

1) He's an MFin' figure of Thunderwing,

2) He's better than the original figure.

As much as I love Thunderwing, I can't not be a little disappointed. He's way too small, first. Though I'm not going to go as far as Tycho and pass entirely on updated figures because of scale issues, he looks funny being so little. Thunderwing is supposed to be a hulking menace.

And the transformation. Yeesh. I thought the original 1984 Seekers were overly simple. This figure is like a freaking Go-Bot. "Fold over wings, extend legs, and, voila!"

Still, he does look pretty nice, scale issues aside.

Also today at Ross, I saw a Wal-Mart repaint of Powerglide in G1 colors. Even having the first, I was tempted. It looked awesome. There was also Hardhead and some dude I'd never heard of, a black Silverbolt (and not Darkwind or Dreadwing, whichever is rotting at TRU).

I'm not too keen on the flat-out repaints of characters, though. I made an exception for Banzai-Tron, since we never saw an awful lot of him in any media (the early IDW comics were his biggest role, IIRC, all two or three panels of it) and the mold is so awesome. And Crossblades and Blaster (I think that's who they were) were unique in the Classics department, though obviously repaints of something. Never got Countdown, but it's not like I couldn't get a few dozen at most TRUs still. The Powermaster jets and Autobot Headmasters are a bit too high profile to simply be repaints of characters from the other faction.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Well, my mama always said, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." So, that in mind....

1) He's an MFin' figure of Thunderwing,

2) He's better than the original figure.

As much as I love Thunderwing, I can't not be a little disappointed. He's way too small, first. Though I'm not going to go as far as Tycho and pass entirely on updated figures because of scale issues, he looks funny being so little. Thunderwing is supposed to be a hulking menace.

And the transformation. Yeesh. I thought the original 1984 Seekers were overly simple. This figure is like a freaking Go-Bot. "Fold over wings, extend legs, and, voila!"

Still, he does look pretty nice, scale issues aside.

Also today at Ross, I saw a Wal-Mart repaint of Powerglide in G1 colors. Even having the first, I was tempted. It looked awesome. There was also Hardhead and some dude I'd never heard of, a black Silverbolt (and not Darkwind or Dreadwing, whichever is rotting at TRU).

I'm not too keen on the flat-out repaints of characters, though. I made an exception for Banzai-Tron, since we never saw an awful lot of him in any media (the early IDW comics were his biggest role, IIRC, all two or three panels of it) and the mold is so awesome. And Crossblades and Blaster (I think that's who they were) were unique in the Classics department, though obviously repaints of something. Never got Countdown, but it's not like I couldn't get a few dozen at most TRUs still. The Powermaster jets and Autobot Headmasters are a bit too high profile to simply be repaints of characters from the other faction.
    Agree, though the third party Hardhead Headmaster expansion kit is AWESOME. Totally makes him a different character.
    All Hail Darth Schmitsky!

I saw Cliffjumper in Target. Cool. But I didn't buy. I don't collect that line.

I also saw Thunderwing. He was tempting, too - for that military vehicle scene I kind of have amongst my desires to set up a display of. However, if I like the military stuff so much, I have to ask myself, why not also just buy GI Joes?

Answer: I have only so much room - even if I can get a big 5 bedroom house one day - and I don't need to keep going overboard. Until 2000-whatever (2001?) I wouldn't even collect another toy line besides the Star Trek and huge amount of Star Wars that I'd already amassed. Alternators were too much for me to handle and I caved in and started buying Transformers again.

Alternators and the Masterpiece figures (certain ones - especially Optimus Prime who I'll forever owe El Chuxter for finding for me!) will always be my favorites!

I wasn't able to resist Tomahawk tonight (Autobot Helicopter). I love the military toys! I think I can use him as a non-Transformer vehicle fighting Devastator in my pyramid diorama I want to build.

It would still be totally cool to add a Michael Bay action figure to this scene, posed like he's directing the Transformers in it!!!

I picked up WFC Soundwave and for three bucks more Red Alert at TRU Wednesday.

Soundwave is a pretty sturdy figure and has a sharp looking robot mode. I don't care for the vehicle mode, but it looks correct and is not too difficult to transform. I still can't help but think that it is wasted in the deluxe size and that this would be an awesome figure as a voyager class.

Red Alert is a good rendition of a G2 figure. Solid looking vehicle form and robot form. Outside of looks, I found this to be one of the biggest pains in the butt to transform. The feet are very hard to pull out of their casing, the arms have a weird connection and in the packaging one of the arms were put on incorrect, and the two gun parts don't stay connected.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

I forgot to mention that I picked up Highbrow the other day.

He's an interesting transformer, kind of a cross between a Gee Bee R and a P-38 Lightning in alt mode, so 1930s-style fighter that's a main cockpit fuselage with a center wing that leads to 2 outrigger booms. The top is military green while the underside is sky blue, an early-20th-century attempt at camouflage. The whole thing is covered in rivet holes, and the only paint is a "P+10" either side of the cockpit, plus an odd white bug-like outline logo on the top of either side of the rear horizontal stabilizer. The underside is mostly skinned, but there are areas of exposed technology, most of which feels appropriate for the plane. The center fuselage here has what appears to be a large center intake, as if it were a 3rd motor just missing its propeller. It's bulbous at the front with a pair of small machine guns at the top, and tapers back to a small canopied cockpit. Underneath is what I guess is a pair of intercoolers and a very oddly-designed 2-wheeled landing leg. The main wing is thicker than a real wing would be, designed to look like radiators at the front (which would kill aerodynamics), and is pretty stubby compared to the real P-38. The booms each have a dull-gold engine block that can be pressed down to spin the propeller with 4 blades; I have to give them credit for making the props counter-rotate (the left is counter-clockwise, the right clockwise), but the 4 blades bother me because that config looks so dull, the real P-38 had 3 blades per prop, as did most planes of that era, and the Gee Bee R had a 2-blade prop - luckily, the transformation allows 2 of the 4 blades to rotate 90 degrees and stop behind the first pair, so it can be shown in a 2-blade look. The underside of each boom has a fold-down wheeled landing gear, and the boom then ends at the tail with its single horizontal stabilizer spanning both booms and then a rudder. To the outside of either boom is a very small wing, the underside has 4 non-removable rockets, the top has a hole to plug in a large gatling gun. It's not perfect, it's a tad small, the tail is hard to align nicely, the props don't freespin after a press, there's a couple exposed screws on the top, and the green paint doesn't quite match the green plastic, but overall it's a very cool and unique alt mode, which is why I spent so much time talking about it.

Transformation looks complex and difficult, it's an oddity to be sure, but conceptually once you understand the "why" then it's actually fairly direct and simple. The instructions are contradictory about what to do with the cockpit fuselage shell halves, showing 1 transformation with them down at the sides and then pictures of them up like tiny wings, but ultimately there seems to be no "correct" answer. The hip armor folds down to have the rockets touching the thigh, it's meant to go all the way flat which requires a bit of pressure, but visually pays off having it not stick out, and it appears they designed it to be rotated back part way, though like the shoulderpads this is mistransformed in-package.

Bot mode is pretty short for a Voyager-class, but has a lot of personality to make up for it. Another ROTF figure with a wider body from the hips down, but he has enough bulk at the arms to somewhat re-balance that. The color scheme is now mostly sky blue and flat gray plastic with a lot less of the military green - this is the underside of the plane, after all; there's no faction logo (the weird white bug outlines end up hidden at the big toe on each foot), but the face adds gold and he's wearing a glossy brown helmet with goggles sorta like a WW1 pilot. The face is an odd triangular design but has normal facial features, the eyes are clear light-pipe (I would have preferred color) with a small trapezoid like windows on a DeLorean. The leather helmet folds down to cover part of the face, with the goggles over the eyes which light-pipes a little oddly. The back is interesting, there's a backpack formed by the cockpit, the cockpit separates from the fuselage shell parts and its underside has an unskinned jet motor, very well detailed, my guess is the shell halves unfold to become little wings for part of a jetpack, but the concept doesn't quite sell without a narrative to carry it (and it doesn't have that narrative on the packaging). The jet motor isn't the only detailing, there's a lot strewn about, there aren't any blank surfaces, which unfortunately highlights the low amount of detail at the chest - there's actually more than it seems, but the light blue color and the landing gear take away from it. Each forearm has the propeller and engine spinner segment, and below that an offset fist made from some plumbing (that bit was clever despite being so simple, some time was put into sculpting that to integrate). The forearms unfortunately have a tab of kibble that just detracts from the looks and gets hunt up by the hip armor, and the offset fists don't stand out against the larger propeller and blue motor fuselages, so it's a bit of a weirdy there despite good intentions - the fists are offset mainly so that the engines can be turned sideways to present the spinning props as hand-replacement weapons, and it bites off a little more than it can chew in execution. The arms look a lot better out in front, especially holding the gatling gun accessories. Speaking of which, the guns look great from the outside, lots of detail, the 5mm pegs are a bit short but they work, I do think they're a bit large in vehicle mode but a good fit in bot mode, but the inner side is hollow which sucks - it's mainly only noticeable when holstered to the hip armor though. The legs taper down and use the fuselage shell to bulk up the otherwise spindly lower legs; they end in a foot that has 2 large thin toes made from the wingtips and rudders of the rear stabilizer, with the majority of the rear stabilizer used as the main foot and folded-up heel (it folds up mainly so it doesn't look like a plank).

Articulation is very good, the head rotates, the shoulders are universal joints (hinge and rotation), the upper bicep rotates, the elbow hinges well past 90 degrees, the shoulder and hip armor plates are hinged, the hips are universal joints, the mid-thigh rotates, the knees are only a little high and hinge 90 degrees, the ankles are forward-facing universal joints so the feet rotate to match the leg spread and can dip down, and the toes are hinged with transformation joints to add more stability if needed. The spinning propeller hand-replacement weapons seem effective, they get an extra side-hinge so they can face forward. The 1 big problem with articulation is that the hip spread hinges are a little stronger than the waist halves, so moving the legs often results in the waist de-transforming instead, spreading apart.

Highbrow is an odd duck, a very nifty and unique vehicle mode, and an equally unique bot mode with lots of detail and articulation, yet both modes are small for the pricepoint, and the bot mode has a few design issues. I found it easier to like this figure after spending a few days, at first it was cool, then a little WTF, and finally landed on "eccentric". I like Highbrow, but I suspect this figure won't be for everybody's tastes.