Page 532 of 580 FirstFirst ... 32432482522528529530531532533534535536542 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,320 of 5799
    I'd probably be feeling Springer more is he was less than $25, or if I hadn't just bought one about six months ago who works nicely. I am sorta regretting passing on Soundblaster a few times, though.

I think the Jazz mold works better on Wheelie, particularly if you mistransform the legs and make him a little shorter. (Though the speakers on Wheelie are a tad bizarre.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    That's too bad, it seems like it'd be a crown jewel in a collection. $125 doesn't seem so crazy for a figure this big, it's not worse than an AT-AT or something.
    I don't have the new AT-AT or BMF Falcon, either. If it were just size or just price, I could probably get away with it. (I did get the Pit on sale for something like $40, and it's huge.)

I opened up Blitzwing, Eject, and Ramhorn today. I've got to say, I think y'all are being quite generous in your reviews.

Eject is a turd. Better than Steeljaw (what isn't?), but still a mess. D

Ramhorn is the best cassette I've seen (not counting that Ravage that came with Hound, obviously). The weird shape of his head bothers me, but, other than that, he's pretty good. I just don't think he's worth $5--or, really, given how weak Eject is, $10. C+

Blitzwing is a gappy, floppy mess. (His low quality isn't making me any more likely to change my mind on Springer.) The instructions may as well not even be there, but I figured him out (with much reattaching of parts). Shoulders are a sad mess, the rubberized nosecone doesn't attach properly, jet mode is decent at best, and tank mode is just a joke. (And, call me insane, but I actually think making the jet cockpit visible in tank mode, like the vintage one, would've been a nice touch.) Also, his gun is woefully undersized. Robot mode is definitely worthwhile, though, aside from the loose joints (which looks like a common problem). But Blitzwing is one of those guys I've always had a soft spot for, despite never owning, so I can't hate him (even if his tank mode is about as wonderful as FOC Grimlock's T Rex mode). B

BTW, has anyone switched the faces? The instructions seem to indicate the three faces are on a wheel and the interior of his head simply rolls around. But, if that's the case, it's so tight I don't want to risk breaking the head off until I know for sure.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    BTW, has anyone switched the faces? The instructions seem to indicate the three faces are on a wheel and the interior of his head simply rolls around. But, if that's the case, it's so tight I don't want to risk breaking the head off until I know for sure.
    It's not that it's tight, I think it just sticks, especially during transit. Maybe it was warm in those cargo holds.

The more I fiddle with Blitzwing, the more I like him. But you are dead wrong on Springer. I stand by that.
    All Hail Darth Schmitsky!

I'd probably be feeling Springer more is he was less than $25, or if I hadn't just bought one about six months ago who works nicely. I am sorta regretting passing on Soundblaster a few times, though.
    I think you got that GDO Springer a year ago, actually. And it's not a triple changer the way this is, it's not an alien vehicle the way this is, and it's not big the way this is. Hopefully if you change your mind down the road you'll have recourse to still get him.

I don't have the new AT-AT or BMF Falcon, either. If it were just size or just price, I could probably get away with it. (I did get the Pit on sale for something like $40, and it's huge.)
    Yikes, you poor soul.

I opened up Blitzwing, Eject, and Ramhorn today. I've got to say, I think y'all are being quite generous in your reviews.

Eject is a turd. Better than Steeljaw (what isn't?), but still a mess. D

Ramhorn is the best cassette I've seen (not counting that Ravage that came with Hound, obviously). The weird shape of his head bothers me, but, other than that, he's pretty good. I just don't think he's worth $5--or, really, given how weak Eject is, $10. C+
    What's that bad about Eject? I mean, granted he's not a good action figure since he can only move his shoulders, but he does transform and puke out of Blaster, and he's better-looking than Rumble & Frenzy.

the rubberized nosecone doesn't attach properly,
    I saw this on another review, it turns out that something else has to be done in order to get it to fit correctly, another step in the process, I don't remember what it was though, I think it was when the guy transformed it from jet to tank.

(And, call me insane, but I actually think making the jet cockpit visible in tank mode, like the vintage one, would've been a nice touch.)
    You're insane. Why would this be a nice touch when it was the weakest element of the original tank mode? It only looked backwards too, so it's not even passable as part of the tank.

I don't have him yet, but the faces rotate vertically, they're part of a wheel/triangle design. They're rubbery plastic, which annoys some collectors, but it might make the hot water trick release them.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The Triple Changer detail about Springer doesn't bother me too much. Realistically, I'd switch his modes once or twice, and he'd be a robot forever. I also kinda dig the movie-styled legs on Springer; it seems to work as an update given the spring-loaded leg gimmick the tech spec mentioned but never actually came up anywhere else.

I'll try some heat on Blitzwing. I tried by hand, and it felt like something was going to give. I'm sure I won't settle on the "loony" face, but the version with the "monocle" has a real shot.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Oh, and, not that we were speaking about comics, but I read RG1 #90 tonight. (They actually put the trade paperback of 86-90 out before I got the floppy of 90 in the mail.) I don't want to spoil it, but something happens that, if it wasn't a comic book, and clearly a comic book cliche (not to mention some subtext that I think will make it not so conclusive as it seems so as to pick up the themes again later), I might be moved to tears.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

A'ight, I didn't want to have three posts in a row, but this came up in conversation earlier and it's bugging the heck out of me.

What is the origin of the word "grimlock"?

The AD&D monster manual published in 1981 and included a subterranean race called grimlocks; Wikipedia says the race was based on a reader submission to a gaming magazine from sometime in the late 70s. Supposedly, they're based on H.G. Wells' morlocks, I guess with the name bastardized a bit.

The Grimlock toy first came out in 1985, IIRC. The Dinobots appeared, by name I think, in Transformers #4, which was dated December 1984 so it came out a bit before that. Given the lead time, that means the character would've been created in early-to-mid 1984, at the latest. Most of the early TF's seem to have been created by some combination of Denny O'Neil, Jim Shooter, and Bob Budiansky. It's pretty clear there was a conscious effort to give Grimlock a name that wasn't in line with the other four Dinobots' names (all one-syllable words starting with 'S').

AD&D pre-dates Hasbro/Marvel here. But there are some problems with the info I've gotten so far (and my efforts to dig further lead to mounds of Google pages about the Dinobot, and me getting frustrated and giving up). I absolutely cannot see any of the three most likely creators of (at least the name of) Grimlock simply opening a D&D Monster Manual and picking a random name that had never appeared somewhere else. Also, if there's even a question of whether TSR had created the name, it's highly unlikely we'd be seeing toys called just Grimlock (at the very least, they'd be Dinobot Grimlock); Hasbro seems so paranoid about such things that they wouldn't call Straxxus, Straxxus.

But it seems equally unlikely that two guys (or groups) would bastardize "morlock" to "grimlock" around the same time without both drawing from something else.

Most of early D&D is based on Tolkien, but I haven't found any trace of the word having been used by Tolkien. Given the "weirdness" of the name, I'm thinking the TF was most likely named by O'Neil (who came up with other bizarre--when you think about them in the context of guys named "Bumblebee" and "Rumble"--names like Megatron and Optimus Prime), who has shown a tendency to delve into the really, really obscure at times for ideas.

I'm thinking that there is some use of the word prior to 1981 that both sources borrowed from. I just can't find what it is. Anyone have any ideas, or even suggestions where to look?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The Triple Changer detail about Springer doesn't bother me too much. Realistically, I'd switch his modes once or twice, and he'd be a robot forever. I also kinda dig the movie-styled legs on Springer; it seems to work as an update given the spring-loaded leg gimmick the tech spec mentioned but never actually came up anywhere else.
    You look for weird things in your figures, but as long as you're happy. Still, don't say I didn't warn you once you finally change your mind after it's too late and the figure's come and gone, better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

I'll try some heat on Blitzwing. I tried by hand, and it felt like something was going to give. I'm sure I won't settle on the "loony" face, but the version with the "monocle" has a real shot.
    Moving the face also lets the oversize forehead on regular face disappear.

Oh, and, not that we were speaking about comics, but I read RG1 #90 tonight. (They actually put the trade paperback of 86-90 out before I got the floppy of 90 in the mail.) I don't want to spoil it, but something happens that, if it wasn't a comic book, and clearly a comic book cliche (not to mention some subtext that I think will make it not so conclusive as it seems so as to pick up the themes again later), I might be moved to tears.
    Wow, that's pretty fast turnaround on the latest TPB, #91 just came out I think. I read the spoilers on #90, I see what you mean about that thing that happened.

A'ight, I didn't want to have three posts in a row, but this came up in conversation earlier and it's bugging the heck out of me.

What is the origin of the word "grimlock"?

The AD&D monster manual published in 1981 and included a subterranean race called grimlocks; Wikipedia says the race was based on a reader submission to a gaming magazine from sometime in the late 70s. Supposedly, they're based on H.G. Wells' morlocks, I guess with the name bastardized a bit.

The Grimlock toy first came out in 1985, IIRC. The Dinobots appeared, by name I think, in Transformers #4, which was dated December 1984 so it came out a bit before that. Given the lead time, that means the character would've been created in early-to-mid 1984, at the latest. Most of the early TF's seem to have been created by some combination of Denny O'Neil, Jim Shooter, and Bob Budiansky. It's pretty clear there was a conscious effort to give Grimlock a name that wasn't in line with the other four Dinobots' names (all one-syllable words starting with 'S').

AD&D pre-dates Hasbro/Marvel here. But there are some problems with the info I've gotten so far (and my efforts to dig further lead to mounds of Google pages about the Dinobot, and me getting frustrated and giving up). I absolutely cannot see any of the three most likely creators of (at least the name of) Grimlock simply opening a D&D Monster Manual and picking a random name that had never appeared somewhere else. Also, if there's even a question of whether TSR had created the name, it's highly unlikely we'd be seeing toys called just Grimlock (at the very least, they'd be Dinobot Grimlock); Hasbro seems so paranoid about such things that they wouldn't call Straxxus, Straxxus.

But it seems equally unlikely that two guys (or groups) would bastardize "morlock" to "grimlock" around the same time without both drawing from something else.

Most of early D&D is based on Tolkien, but I haven't found any trace of the word having been used by Tolkien. Given the "weirdness" of the name, I'm thinking the TF was most likely named by O'Neil (who came up with other bizarre--when you think about them in the context of guys named "Bumblebee" and "Rumble"--names like Megatron and Optimus Prime), who has shown a tendency to delve into the really, really obscure at times for ideas.

I'm thinking that there is some use of the word prior to 1981 that both sources borrowed from. I just can't find what it is. Anyone have any ideas, or even suggestions where to look?
    Grimlock actually came out in '84, and before that name he had "Tyrex", "Trapjaw", "Tyrannobot", and "Jawbreaker", some of which were nearly into production on the Sunbow cartoon before being crossed out and replaced with "Grimlock". It's not publicly known who actually came up with the name or how it came about, there are a lot of names that came about from Bob Budiansky and Jim Shooter slapping words together after Sunbow people would drop the ball on characters, but Hasbro also threw in names as well. Hasbro's George Dunsay says otherwise though, says a lot of that is hooey and it was more Hasbro and their ad agency Griffin-Bacal (who Shooter says didn't do anything but put their names on coversheets), the truth may be one side, the other, in between, or none of the above, but Shooter and Dunsay both have a lot of recollections about those sorts of things and Shooter has notes. Not on Grimlock specifically, or at least he hasn't mentioned such.

Your intel on AD&D for "grimlocks" sounds likely, copyrights weren't well-enforced in the toy & game world in that era, so lifting straight from there might have been intentional or maybe just something they heard once and didn't realize they lifted.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

#91 isn't even out yet. Really fast paperback turnaround. And it's not just wishful thinking, I don't believe--I've got a list as long as my arm as to actual reasons why I think we saw a little Holmes/Moriarity homage and the good guy survived.

I've heard from a few sources that O'Neil had some input before he left for DC, but the basic premise of Cybertron, Optimus Prime, Prowl, possibly Megatron, and the names Ultra Magnus and Fortress Maximus are the only things that are consistently attributed to him.

Regardless of what Hasbro says, unless they have evidence, I'd lean toward Marvel's story, simply because it sounds like a case of getting lightning to strike twice (the original thirteen Joes were a rejected proposal by Larry Hama for Fury Force--and there's concrete evidence for this--who would've been fighting Hydra--you think it's coinkydink that Cobra and Hydra are so similar and both named after serpents?). It makes sense that they'd want to replicate the success, given that Joe was enormous and, at that time, they had no way to know TF would be even bigger.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post

Huh, not sure what to make of that. RTS Jazz IMO is one of the more middling entries, undone by a lack of stability and paint, and a weird face. Warpath is pure KAPOW! though.
    What's not stable on your Jazz? I bought United Jazz at Botcon last year, which solved the paint issues for me. It's one of my favorite molds. I think the shoulders could have been better and I wish the torso locked but I always thought he was a solid offering overall.

Blitzwing is a gappy, floppy mess. (His low quality isn't making me any more likely to change my mind on Springer.) The instructions may as well not even be there, but I figured him out (with much reattaching of parts). Shoulders are a sad mess, the rubberized nosecone doesn't attach properly, jet mode is decent at best, and tank mode is just a joke. (And, call me insane, but I actually think making the jet cockpit visible in tank mode, like the vintage one, would've been a nice touch.) Also, his gun is woefully undersized. Robot mode is definitely worthwhile, though, aside from the loose joints (which looks like a common problem). But Blitzwing is one of those guys I've always had a soft spot for, despite never owning, so I can't hate him (even if his tank mode is about as wonderful as FOC Grimlock's T Rex mode). B

Blitzwing's shoulder issue has some fixes, some rather invasive. I just tucked that panel that floats over the gap under the shoulder a bit and it fixes that issues somewhat. Like I said earlier, he *is* flawed, but fun. Fun transformation.

Try unscrewing the screw on the right side of his head a bit. I have read that can help. I had to push the face on mine pretty hard the first time to get it going.

Did you buy Blitzwing for $25, but *pass* on Springer?! Buy Springer, you foolish fool! Easily superior to Blitzwing in just about every way.