Page 563 of 585 FirstFirst ... 63463513553559560561562563564565566567573 ... LastLast
Results 5,621 to 5,630 of 5848
    Got Rhinox, this figure comes mistransformed in robot mode, the waist is out of position and the upper arms aren't fully telescoped out. Instructions are pretty bad, missing key features like locking the lower jaw tab into the inside of the rhino head to keep it from falling apart, and the hips flipping all the way around in transformation.

Robot Mode
    Pros:
    - very good likeness
    - decent range of motion, expressive
    - good use of bulk
    - mirror-twin, spinning chainguns of doom
    - pretty good paint
    - fairly show-accurate transformation

Cons:
    - loose leg joints lead to flopping issues
    - some restrictions on range of motion
    - a bit more kibble than I prefer
    - semi-open hands aren't ideal
    - some of the character's flaws are still present here

Beast Mode
    Pros:
    - pretty decent size
    - chaingun storage is clever
    - lower jaw opens
    - upper jaw & head opens one click, complete with secondary panel

Cons:
    - deco is simple
    - legs are immobile
    - panel gap in a few spots, not major but noticeable
    - all-black eyes might be accurate to the animal, but not this BW character
    - backs of legs all show bot parts
    - limbs have a specific orientation, but don't quite meet it or lock to it

All in all, this is a really good interpretation of Rhinox, but it does still suffer some of the mistakes that newer BW figures have, so your mileage may vary to a degree, but I think overall it's a good figure and a good homage.

Seen the Japanese TF Cloud Starscream? I didn't think this would work, but Starscream using the Blitzwing/Doubledealer triple changer mold has more appeal than I expected:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...-image-179355/

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddymac View Post
    I'm with you, JT. If Arcee is motorcycle, I'm throwing the table over and going home. Although I still want Rattrap. And that Roadbuster is pretty sweet. And Jetfire, though a strange hybrid between G1 Jetfire and Skyfire with a fake cockpit for a chest, hasn't completely died for me yet (though I'm really frustrated by it).
    I might still get Arcee if a motorcycle, but it definitely would be a character-driven purchase. Jetfire/Skyfire as a Leader class with the fake chest just seems like such an odd way to do it, for me the issue will come down to how they use the transformation, how simple it is in person.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Yeah, I don't understand the love for the crossover book. Artwork was never like that in the 80s; even at his laziest, Jose Delbo still had some depth to his illustrations. And the writing was certainly not like this. The very first issue of TF (which I hate to say because it's both TF and Bill Mantlo, but it's one of the worst single issues of any title ever), the original Marvel crossover, a few Joe fill-in stories, maybe. But, c'mon, is everyone forgetting this is the decade and the titles that gave us "Silent Interlude" and "Target: 2006"?
    Precisely. It's almost a hipster book, it's trying to make "the bad ol days" look clever by enhancing them to ridiculousness. Yet those days had plenty to offer, and none of which is showing up in this preview. I want to give IDW the benefit of the doubt, but so far everything they've done has stood against that.

BTW, the artist and co-writer on these, Tom Scioli, had NEVER READ ANY LARRY HAMA BOOKS UNTIL HE GOT THIS JOB. http://comicsalliance.com/comics-by-...oe-larry-hama/

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    I don't think I want any of the AoE toys.

Generations Whirl on the other hand is outstanding in spite of the backwards knee joints which limit his poseability. Nonetheless he has a huge "unvincible" fun factor to him.
    Yeah, AoE may be the breaking point, we'll see.

So you already got Whirl, huh? That's both awesome and frustrating since I didn't go in on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I didn't post about them, because I'm super not interested in them. Just more movie junk to me. I'm over it.
    Ouch, but yeah, seems like that's the growing feeling.

It was better than Star Wars anyway.
    You are cruel. But that's not false, SW Hasbro was very painful to look at.

I like the look of Jetfire and some people who claim to have seen leader Megatron say it is the IDW tank design, so I'm looking forward to those.
    I hadn't heard about leader Megatron, but the IDW tank would be nice; almost anything would be nice here minus more movie junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    I'm really excited for Jetfire.
    I saw the new "collectable" Starscream the other day at Toys R Us and it's total crap. 100 dollars for a piece that looks like someone just scaled up the Big Lot Version. The plastic molding is god awful.
    That is a Cybertron figure sculpted 10 years ago based on a Voyager-class sculpt. It was $50 when it came out then, and was ridiculous then.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    BTW, the artist and co-writer on these, Tom Scioli, had NEVER READ ANY LARRY HAMA BOOKS UNTIL HE GOT THIS JOB. http://comicsalliance.com/comics-by-...oe-larry-hama/
    And, wow, in this article about how he now thinks it's awesome, he cites the absolutely painful issue with the stupid Cobra walkers. Which was actually the first to come to mind when I said some certain Joe fill-in issues might have been this bad.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Got the Ammonites, Starscream, and Scoop today. Only opened the Ammonites so far. They're sort of a mixed bag. Lots of pieces that like to pop off mid-transformation. Also, since they're packed in combined form, it would've been nice to include instructions on how to transform them into either mode to use as a starting point. Luckily, we're not talking about Masterpieces here, so it's pretty easy to figure out.

He's far from perfect, but, y'know, I think I kinda like him. I'll go with a B. Execution could've been better. And I also like how each has a serial number, like the Ammonites use as names, so you can call them that if their Minicon names aren't for you.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Anyone gotten Generations Armada Starscream?

Because this figure is pretty darned glorious. The gimmick in the shoulder cannons is the only real issue I can see with him (well, aside from the rather low-quality plastic, but that seems a given lately). I have no idea how close he is to the original Armada Starscream, but I really dig him. He's not perfect, but it seems like imperfection in favor of a cohesive but relatively simple transformation (one I can actually freaking remember without the instructions, like back in '85).

Not sure what's up with the posts on his arms and shoulder cannons. I'm assuming some sort of tie-in with Armada, maybe to attach Mini-Cons. (And, hmm, now that I think about it, I'll have to see if he's somehow compatible with the Mini-Con Team and Scoop's Targetmasters, which would make perfect sense.)

Yeah, I'll get this mold for Jhiaxus, even if I have to repaint the guy myself. (Also because Jhiaxus is just such a bada** in G1/G2/RG1 and such a slimeball in IDW.)

On other fronts, I saw Predacons Rising Predaking (the Target exclusive, if there's more than one version) on clearance for $10.48, which seemed like a pretty massive deal since it listed the original price at $49.99, plus there's a Cartwheel deal for 15% off. I almost got it, but don't have a use for him myself. My son's too little for it, and my daughter's not particularly interested in Prime.

Also saw the Constructbots Prime vs Megatron for about $8 and got it. Great idea, horrible execution. The transformation is pretty much "eh, why bother," and looks to be about the same on all TF's. Pieces don't fit together as well as they should, and many of the connectors seem to be not what you'd expect (like a spot that would logically have a hole has a bar to attach a hinged piece instead.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Not sure what's up with the posts on his arms and shoulder cannons. I'm assuming some sort of tie-in with Armada, maybe to attach Mini-Cons. (And, hmm, now that I think about it, I'll have to see if he's somehow compatible with the Mini-Con Team and Scoop's Targetmasters, which would make perfect sense.)
    Those are mini-con ports. The mini-cons you bought alongside Starscream are a little bigger than the Armada era ones though. But they are still compatible.

I finally saw Doubledealer and Whirl at retail. TRU specifically so I was able to use a 20%off coupon for Doubledealer.

Whirl I already have and is a must get if you don't have him already.

Picked up Whirl from TRU Culver City, hours after an order from HTS that won't ship until the end of the month. I'm considering taking that one and returning the one I got when it gets here, as there's some scratches on the right shoulder on mine.

Very good figure, one of the best callbacks to G1. I haven't put on the stickers yet, I hate stickers, but he definitely will look sharper with them. There are a lot of things the instructions leave out, like the shoulders telescoping in for stability and a narrower look, the neck telescoping up for a more comic book look, the antenna rotating forward to cover the lightpipe, the null ray module fitting over the wrist-stumps, the rotor module rotating in bot mode, the cockpit opening. It's an interesting transformation, a little complicated in spots but satisfying; if the digitigrade upper knee joints weren't so horrendous, I'd use them since they look more like the IDW character; and the tail rotor joint is the single most difficult transformation joint. The shoulder stalks are packed upside-down, just rotate them for more range of motion.

Whirl's bot mode is lean and taller than expected using straight legs, definitely works as a voyager rather than feeling like an upscaled deluxe, and the height gives him intimidation factor. It's not as alien as the G1 figure because that one was very lanky while this is more proportional, but it still is striking with the mono-eye head and big claws. There is a little bit of gap from the side, but it's not too bad.

The gerwalk mode "heloped" is clever and likable, the shoulders sag in this mode from using the telescoped-out joint stop, but it's still better than nothing. Moving the tail under the body definitely gives me hope that someone still cares.

Vehicle mode is nice, the paint is a bit underwhelming in the twin intakes since it cuts off early, but overall it's a good representation of the AH-1 Cobra knockoff used in the G1 line. The only really questionable thing is why the chin gun weapon hangs so much lower than the skids.

Overall, this is a big winner, and definitely unvincible!

Anyone gotten Generations Armada Starscream?

Because this figure is pretty darned glorious. The gimmick in the shoulder cannons is the only real issue I can see with him (well, aside from the rather low-quality plastic, but that seems a given lately). I have no idea how close he is to the original Armada Starscream, but I really dig him. He's not perfect, but it seems like imperfection in favor of a cohesive but relatively simple transformation (one I can actually freaking remember without the instructions, like back in '85).
    What's your issue with the shoulder cannons?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It's really a minor thing. First, I'm not a fan of almost anything spring-loaded. Second, (and I guess this is less to do with the gimmick aspect than the cannons themselves), the shoulder cannons make him pretty tough to balance.

Even with that in mind, he's one of the best TF's I've seen in a while, at least in this scale. And I really do like not having to refer back to instructions any time I want to change his form.

Also, I don't remember: anyone else reading this? I'd be curious to get some other thoughts--particularly from someone more versed in the Beast era than I am (since, minor spoilers, it seems like every ending Furman gives G1 winds up leading into Beast Wars anyhow).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	28234
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Sorry for the double post. I'd originally asked about RG1 #100 just to see what others thought of it. But something kinda jumped out at me that is potentially one of the biggest things in recent TF comic book history (keeping in mind Megatron's status post-Dark Cybertron, that's not exactly a minor thing).

Potential spoilers (and, well, me even giving this warning is kind of another spoiler, but I still have to, so let's just say it concerns multiple current TF comics):

The Dark Matrix summons (and controls) Optimus Prime from three different eras to fight "616" (for lack of a better term, I'm using the standard Marvel designation) Rodimus Prime. He defeats them with the help of a small army of Hot Rods, Rodimuses, Hot Shots, and Rodimus Primes from multiple universes. These are led by the IDW Rodimus as he currently appears in More Than Meets the Eye (assuming he's not the guy who died in Dark Cybertron #2), and he even gets a speaking part.

However, his presence, and particularly his active involvement, mean that his universe is part of the Transformers Multiverse, contrary to what's been stated in the past. Meaning that there must exist manifestations of Primus and Unicron in the IDW TF Universe.

So, if anyone's paying attention at IDW, one of the biggest changes to the IDW TF Universe status quo was just made in a book that takes place in another universe. And it's common knowledge that James Roberts is one of the biggest fans of Furman's Transformers in the world; he's probably first in line in the entire world to read RG1 and I doubt such ramifications would go over his head.
    Tommy, close your eyes.