Page 568 of 595 FirstFirst ... 68468518558564565566567568569570571572578 ... LastLast
Results 5,671 to 5,680 of 5945
  1. #5671
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Too early to know. They're just now saying Prowl is coming out, so it could be awhile. AE has a pre-order up already if anyone is willing to plunk down the cash for it now. http://www.anime-export.com/product/19423
    125 is a good price. I've been seeing 185.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

  2. #5672
    In the very near future, we are looking to have a conversation with Hasbro regarding TF design, so if you have any questions, LMK.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  3. #5673
    Picked up Cosmos with Payload and Swerve with Flanker tonight at Target. Both sets make the grade. Both little partners barely make the grade, each one possessing one a little cleverness to get past the "stand up, you're a robot", and the weapon modes are kinda clever. Both main bots though are really fun, really tight, they deliver quite nicely (Swerve's head can't turn, but he gets a nod up and down to make up for it).

    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Why the hell is Rob Liefeld still allowed to draw things for publication? And what the hell happened to Bazooka's and Headman's heads in that second pic? (Why the hell do you pick Headman, of all loser Cobras, for that matter?)
    I really can't answer that question about Liefeld, I'm not sure anybody should even try unless they can make the pain stop. As for the second pic, that's meant to be urban art I think, kinda graffiti guerrilla art. And Headman... ugh, goodness, I fear it's because he's in the book.

    JT, I have a feeling we'd go around in circles forever on the issue of female Transformers in IDW. If we were talking about organic creatures, particularly humans, then, yeah, there should be females. But gender implies sexual reproduction, which has NEVER to my knowledge been a part of any Transformers continuity. They're genderless to me; if they use female pronouns because of design and personality differences, fine, but Transformers should have no gender. Even Roberts seemed down with this prior to Hasbro's introducing Windblade; Chromedome and Rewind are clearly a couple, but they're not a gay couple. Which they are, if there is now a gender division in Transformers. Not a problem, just very silly.

    I agree Hasbro should make their "boys" lines more accessible to girls. (I'd argue the divisions are stupid to begin with.) But introducing female Transformers and more or less forcing them onto a comic continuity where they didn't exist (and, unfortunately, kids won't be picking up) isn't the most logical way to do that. More logical would be putting more female figures into lines where they're logical: when was the last time we got a really good new Princess Leia? A new Padme of any sort (no resculpts)? Why is the Marvel Universe made up of about half women, but we get so few female MU figures? Lady Jaye and Jinx were two of the toughest to find Retaliation figures, and they've never made an update to Cover Girl.

    I feel like I'm making the opposite argument I normally do about women in comics. But asexual robots make this a very different case to me. Unless two Autobots can take off all their armor in a private place, plug adapters into switches, and make a baby Autobot, the existence of either gender seems absolutely moronic to me.
    First off, there are females in Transformers, the end. Why? Because this isn't Simon Furman's The Transformers, it's Hasbro's The Transformers and thus they said so. Your argument holds no water if you aren't willing to recognize that the Transformers have always been male, with male physiques and male faces and male voices and male pronouns; so Hasbro chose to simply take that to the next logical place in their minds.

    Second, gender does not necessarily demand sexual reproduction, there are living beings that reproduce asexually and there are beings that reproduce the opposite of the norm. If you're going to take it back to the DNA/CNA elements, then one has to start asking why sentient robots exist at all, once you start deconstructing the building blocks of Transformers, it falls apart or has to be accepted that there are things outside the stated understanding to continue the fiction.

    Third, Rewind and Chromedome were always meant to be a gay couple, just one that is sexless, they are a loving pair of male bots, and that was the intention, just not forced on the audience as "GAY!!!" They are life partners without sexuality, so they technically they aren't homosexual since they are nonsexual, but the subtext was there and Roberts knew it, he knew what he was doing and said as much. They're gay but not homosexual.

    Fourth, again, only the Furman-faithful seem to really care passionately about there just being Arcee. The fans who voted on Windblade however felt differently, and why not? Female figures sell when the context has them doing interesting things, the reason Padme figures don't sell is she's a boring character. But Black Window? Like hotcakes. Familiarity is what sells product.

    Fifth, coming off that point, nearly every prior iteration of Transformers had female characters and female toys or female toys planned...
    G1: Arcee (planned, canned), Chromia, Elita One, Minerva (if you accept Masterforce as G1), Nautica
    Beast Wars: Blackarachnia, Airazor
    Beast Machines: Strika, Blackarachnia, Botanica
    Unicron Trilogy: Arcee, Thunderblast
    Animated: Arcee, Strika, like a million side characters
    Prime: Arcee, Airachnid, Ripclaw
    Movie: gotta suffer through it, but there were 3 fembots.

    So it's not like fembots don't sell in this brand, it's actually more progressive than Star Wars and Marvel sales in that respect.

    The reality is that you have bought Furman's claim, hook line and sinker, and there's simply no reason to buy it when a reasonable retcon exists, tons of precedence exists, and the brand was never his to dictate in the first place. Ask yourself this: If Furman really believed his "genderless" claim of his, would there be robotic facial hair in his books?


    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddymac View Post
    I don't understand what don't you agree about with regards to the G1 trailer?
    The rest of Masterpiece looks like a cleaner, more fully-realized take on those G1 designs, but this trailer looks like the same unrealistic, chunky affair of the G1 era.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  4. #5674
    You act as if I'm against female Transformers. I'm not. If they're in the mix, I can go with it. I just think it's a nonsensical idea, whether it dates back almost thirty years or not. Asexual robots with gender, it just does not click for me. I still say that, in absence of a clear second gender in any given continuity, they're genderless but typical use male pronouns, but it's not a huge deal.

    I haven't read the second half of Dark Cybertron (all six issues of it, or a single issue's worth of story, judging from the first half). Shoehorned in or not, I have confidence that Roberts and Barber can make the concept work. (Frankly, I think those two could make it work if Hasbro told them, "You will incorporate the GoBots into the books, and Scooter is the new captain of the Lost Light. Also Ted Nugent has the Matrix and is the new Prime, and he speaks exclusively in Pig Latin.")
    Tommy, close your eyes.

  5. #5675
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    You act as if I'm against female Transformers. I'm not. If they're in the mix, I can go with it. I just think it's a nonsensical idea, whether it dates back almost thirty years or not. Asexual robots with gender, it just does not click for me. I still say that, in absence of a clear second gender in any given continuity, they're genderless but typical use male pronouns, but it's not a huge deal.

    I haven't read the second half of Dark Cybertron (all six issues of it, or a single issue's worth of story, judging from the first half). Shoehorned in or not, I have confidence that Roberts and Barber can make the concept work. (Frankly, I think those two could make it work if Hasbro told them, "You will incorporate the GoBots into the books, and Scooter is the new captain of the Lost Light. Also Ted Nugent has the Matrix and is the new Prime, and he speaks exclusively in Pig Latin.")
    I'm only responding to the arguments you're presenting. It's no more nonsensical than male bots, and I think it's clearly been established that they're male all along; why is it, if they're genderless, that they don't use FEMALE pronouns? "Because it's easier, more common, classic" is a bad shortcut, it leads right back to where we already are, and it ignores that half the potential audience is female while also enjoying more and more steps towards equality. It becomes a huge deal when you argue that they're entirely genderless yet they use male pronouns, have male features, male physiques and facial structures, male voices, and eventually are given female counterparts, all only as an avenue to simplicity for storytelling, it doesn't hold water.

    The second half of Dark Cybertron picks up slightly but then falls down on its face towards the end. IMO, there really wasn't a concept, there was some light cleanup and even that's vague at best, I won't say more until you've read it all.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  6. #5676
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Picked up Cosmos with Payload and Swerve with Flanker tonight at Target. Both sets make the grade. Both little partners barely make the grade, each one possessing one a little cleverness to get past the "stand up, you're a robot", and the weapon modes are kinda clever. Both main bots though are really fun, really tight, they deliver quite nicely (Swerve's head can't turn, but he gets a nod up and down to make up for it).
    I found these and like the little space shuttle. I didn't buy as I really don't have any need for these in my displays I hope to one day have where I put Transformers behind glass so no one can touch them. "They're Transformers. They're not made to be transformed." - Tycho


    First off, there are females in Transformers, the end. Why? Because this isn't Simon Furman's The Transformers, it's Hasbro's The Transformers and thus they said so. Your argument holds no water if you aren't willing to recognize that the Transformers have always been male, with male physiques and male faces and male voices and male pronouns; so Hasbro chose to simply take that to the next logical place in their minds.
    I've never had time for the comics, even though I've had some interest.

    I do have something that "might" be interesting to say about this.

    As a kid, I thought that Springer an Arcee's interaction in the 1986 movie made a very Han Solo and Princess Leia vive come to life. Arcee was sarcastic to Hot Rod as well, though he fell into that lone-leader kind of character and didn't develop an imitation straight relationship with Arcee in the least bit. So I saw her as attached with Springer.

    It might make sense if she was given a personality to interact with specific humans or other biological genders - or adopted that voice or tone specifically.

    In the BayVerse, BumbleBee can't talk but he interacts with Sam in his own way.

    If Anthony Weiner or Bob Filner needed to work with a Transformer, or Hugh Heffner, Larry Flint, or Charlie Sheen and Bill Clinton for that matter, a female voice and mannerisms might prove to be effective.

    Yes, I'm actually being serious. And Clinton was the President of the United States. (Though the bot would not at all sound like Hillary and more like a 976 number.)

    Second, gender does not necessarily demand sexual reproduction, there are living beings that reproduce asexually and there are beings that reproduce the opposite of the norm.
    To initiate Transformer reproduction, please hit [COPY FILE]. That's probably as sexy as it gets.

    In the BayVerse there was some kind of things in green jelly coating that came out of wet sacks. It's important, because this was different from a vending machine or cell phone zapped with the AllSpark. I have theories about that difference, but we're talking about gender in Transformers here. There was also that in the BayVerse since we had the Arcee (twins? they were triplets).

    In beings that do not require the below-the-waist reproductive equipment, the only other things that suggest femininity are mammillary glands (boobs) and perhaps pink being a universal feminine color, and some more caring, more obsessing over frivolous details, and less toughness, bluntness of character - plus more body motioning, positioning that's more effeminate. (Yes, we all know I do NOT like to see this in male behavior, I prefer Klingon socializing, but I'm merely trying to describe more effeminate behavior - which is usually attributed to beings with female reproductive plumbing.

    Transformers can exhibit the more effeminate behavior I suppose (they have no need for boobs or chest shapes in robots that might suggest it - unless I suppose they were on a mission and assumed a form that could interact with Bill Clinton out of necessity.

    I don't know if the nurturing behavior (done motherly as opposed to fatherly) should be there without a female voice or not.

    It could serve a "gay agenda" - to teach a young audience that being nurturing is acceptable. Haha. I'm not going to say there is anything at all wrong with that. It's just not my way. Optimus Prime is a Transformer that behaves nurturing, but in his own masculine manner.

    All I really CAN be fair in saying is that I am appreciative of how Optimus Prime is represented - even his new BayVerse "shoot-them-in-the-head-execution-style" if bots like Megatron are incorrigible. I have an aversion to the nurturing style of "the free hugs people type" if they're projecting that personality in a male voice, with male physique.

    But that is all a matter of taste and perhaps a good writer WITH a gay agenda can tell a great story with those kinds of characters and I'll even like it.

    However, I also made a case for why a bot like Arcee might have female (mammal) physique and voice. Interaction with non-Cybertronians who have gender.



    If you're going to take it back to the DNA/CNA elements, then one has to start asking why sentient robots exist at all, once you start deconstructing the building blocks of Transformers, it falls apart or has to be accepted that there are things outside the stated understanding to continue the fiction.
    Tycho's ideal world of Tranformers here:

    1) Biologicals learned to preserve themselves (memories at least, perhaps emotions) in the mechanical
    2) dying Cybertron's star for support of bio-life fails
    3) unique beings survive the transfer - that's why they can be destroyed instead of [Copy-Pasted]
    4) drones or droids that survive and accumulate a great amount of memory can develop personalities, but Grimlock could be re-made



    Third, Rewind and Chromedome were always meant to be a gay couple, just one that is sexless, they are a loving pair of male bots, and that was the intention, just not forced on the audience as "GAY!!!" They are life partners without sexuality, so they technically they aren't homosexual since they are nonsexual, but the subtext was there and Roberts knew it, he knew what he was doing and said as much. They're gay but not homosexual.

    Life-partners? Isn't that the same thing as just saying best-friends?

    Can't Han and Chewie be life-partners, and Han and Leia be married?

    So why don't we say life-partners ONLY applies to sexually active couples, and best friends is still an accurate term?

    Fourth, again, only the Furman-faithful seem to really care passionately about there just being Arcee. The fans who voted on Windblade however felt differently, and why not? Female figures sell when the context has them doing interesting things, the reason Padme figures don't sell is she's a boring character. But Black Window? Like hotcakes. Familiarity is what sells product.
    It's a shame if it always has to be that way. As a diorama enthusiast, I'd like Padme's outfits made from every scene in which she "did nothing." [Not a zillion Arena and Theed Hanger Battle figures of her).

    The idea that the aesthetic of Trisha Biggar's coustumes (like the yellow waterfalls dress from AOTC - and the Senator gown from the beginning - since she actually IS a senator) would look attractive on the cards is a valid point. Jocasta Nu found a unique niche to be released in. Yarna and Mon Mothma both saw regular line releases. I assume Torryn Farr will do better since she's dressed like the Hoth "solider" she was and will come with a gun.

    Arcee - as a pink car please - has familiarity, nostalgia, and the action scenes equated with her. She fought Unicron, Galvatron, and Megatron (not personally, the latter two - but she also fought the Junkions until peace was brokered with the universal greeting.


    Fifth, coming off that point, nearly every prior iteration of Transformers had female characters and female toys or female toys planned...
    G1: Arcee (planned, canned), Chromia, Elita One, Minerva (if you accept Masterforce as G1), Nautica
    Beast Wars: Blackarachnia, Airazor
    Beast Machines: Strika, Blackarachnia, Botanica
    Unicron Trilogy: Arcee, Thunderblast
    Animated: Arcee, Strika, like a million side characters
    Prime: Arcee, Airachnid, Ripclaw
    Movie: gotta suffer through it, but there were 3 fembots.
    Elita-One could be interesting to re-explore. Why did Prime have a relationship with her? Why was "she" effeminate? Why didn't she have a masculine name like Elitist-One (great Decepticon name, btw)

    So it's not like fembots don't sell in this brand, it's actually more progressive than Star Wars and Marvel sales in that respect.
    Robotic simulated sexuality - easier to deal with than real biological female sexuality?

    The reality is that you have bought Furman's claim, hook line and sinker, and there's simply no reason to buy it when a reasonable retcon exists, tons of precedence exists, and the brand was never his to dictate in the first place. Ask yourself this: If Furman really believed his "genderless" claim of his, would there be robotic facial hair in his books?
    The only reason ANY bots should have "robotic facial hair" is that they wanted to display seniority to beings that grew facial hair.

    With JetFire in the BayVerse? Maybe if he scanned Sam and Mikaela, and especially Simmons and wanted to show he was old? It barely makes sense. Now with Sentinel Prime, who we learned had contempt for humans almost approaching The Fallen's? It makes no sense. Especially with him looking more human than Optimus who wants to interact with and protect humans.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  7. #5677
    Uhhhhhh.......


    Annnyway, here's my interview with the Hasbro Transformers design team:
    http://www.actionfigs.com/content.ph...-of-Extinction

    And it's article 1701, which makes the Trekkie in me happy.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  8. #5678
    I should've requested you ask about an Autobot Megatron figure.

  9. #5679
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I should've requested you ask about an Autobot Megatron figure.
    Awwww man, yeah you should! I'll try to throw that in at Botcon or SDCC, though I doubt I'll be the first.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  10. #5680
    I'd be cool with a Voyager or larger of his new body, with all insignias being user-applied stickers. Comic fans can make him an Autobot; everyone else can just wonder if the Autobot logos were a mistake.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO