Page 572 of 582 FirstFirst ... 72472522562568569570571572573574575576 ... LastLast
Results 5,711 to 5,720 of 5815
  1. #5711
    It's a fun idea but I already own all of those molds and it's not worth the price nor the amount of time I'd have to spend in line for HTS at SDCC. So far it looks like I may not want anything from them this year.

  2. #5712
    Quick mini-reviews

    Deluxe Strafe (TRU-exclusive Evolutions version, but it's the same figure) -

    Pros:
    - wide wingspan
    - pointy motif works well
    - darker blue with silver and black looks alright
    - swords can be held pointed forward
    - striking bot mode when wings spread and tails following
    - knight head in bot mode looks alright here

    Mixed:
    - articulation is good in some ways and crappy in others
    - swords do store, but not in any great way
    - tails rubbery but bent permanently

    Cons:
    - cheap transformation
    - two headed pteranodon doesn't really seem to accent the character better than one would have
    - dino mode is really simplistic, just the bot mode hang-gliding
    - crossbow missile is marble-launcher, barely fires
    - packaging can't agree on where dino heads go in bot mode
    - plastic feels more inflexible and brittle than usual
    - hollow lower legs and arms

    Overall:
    Hard to figure this one out, the alt mode and transformation really let it down, but there is something pretty compelling about the bot mode. I am still undecided, maybe a 6.5/10.

    ----

    Voyager Hound
    Pros:
    - great sculpting
    - very good articulation
    - surprisingly decent paint
    - clever rubbery ammo-belt forearms
    - rubbery bot head turns side to side adequately
    - so many different weapons!!!
    - weapons combine
    - weapon storage in each mode
    - vehicle mode has some good detailing at the front
    - interesting transformation

    Mixed:
    - huge combined weapon a bit fragile
    - low-kibble bot mode, but the fists have a notable kibble panel each
    - toes swing to meet ground at any angle, but heels a bit shallow
    - bot back is hollow
    - long rifle (actually triple-multi-barrel cannon) transforms for vehicle mode but instructions don't mention that you have to pull the bottom barrel down, could lead to breakage

    Cons:
    - weapon storage has problems due to tolerance issues, peg holes being slightly too small and spitting out their accessories, the right tab and slot holster design spits out either gun and shows notable stress marks (this is on all the in-hand pics I've seen as well), also causing stress marks on the weapons themselves
    - weapon storage in vehicle mode can be an exercise in frustration with stuff popping off or falling off a bit too often, since most is on the outside
    - vehicle mode has a peg hole on top that has a pair of angled tabs inside, very confusing and looks like accidental flash, causes weapons to sit shallow at an odd angle
    - simplistic vehicle mode cabin with big silver bar across the windshield

    Overall:
    I very much like this figure, but the frustration of the tolerances does hold it back quite a bit more. In theory, this is one of those figures that could define the brand; in practice, the brand's poor QC has held it back to a more modest Recommended, graded at 8/10


    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    He's actually in wave 2 with Drift and Slash AND the wave has shown up in Asian territories so some people are on the look out for it already. And so many people seem to be concerned with getting a figure IMMEDIATELY despite the glut of product that has occurred during the past two movie lines. Some of those guys over on TFW also seem to really want to be the first to post something for a meaningless news credit.

    Hopefully that weird evolutions pack will calm people down.
    Yeah, right after I posted the wave 2 stuff hit around here.

    I picked up the Evolutions Strafe, reviewed above. I am not trying to "first!" anything. I hear ya though, some folks think finding a figure leads to fame.

    It happens enough it *almost* seems intentional at times.
    Well, designers and management aren't always on the same page, it could be.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    What I want:

    If TF4 is any good at all:

    Some kind of Ultimate Class or largest-ever Dinobots. At least much larger than Leader Prime so that Prime figure can still be smaller than Grimlock.

    Any Dinobot (except I guess Slash who's a velociraptor) should be at least 3 class sizes larger than Autobot cars.

    That is, the Voyager size treatment for Dinobots could go good with Cyberverse Auotbot cars.


    I will not be buying most (if ANY) of the AOE toys offered.

    All-steel-gray repaints of the dinobots would fit this way:

    LEADER..............VOYAGER................CYBERVE RSE CMDR..................CYBERVRS

    Grimlock.............Scorn......................Op timus Prime.........................BumbleBee

    ..........................Slug.................... ...Hound....................................Drift

    ..........................Strafe.................. ..Slash.......................................Cros shairs


    .................................................. .....Galvatron................................Lock down

    .................................................. .................................................. .Stinger
    Cyberverse is not happening right now, no Legion or Commanders. I suspect you'll buy more figures when you've seen the movie, you always do that.

    There is a rumor that Crosshairs can take on a helicopter mode (triple changes in the movie) - making him the surrogate Springer?
    You've got that wrong, Crosshairs is parachuting in the film but is otherwise not airborne. Drift turns into a helicopter supposedly, but not as a triple-changer, it's because... hmm, it's SPOILER territory I guess...

    SPOILER: === Drift is a former Decepticon, and when he was evil he was a copter ===



    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    I saw Strife Thursday at my TRU with the redux Masterpiece Grimlock. I picked both up and ended up putting them back. (Gave MP Grim to a guy that was really disappointed I got the last one.) Strife is way too purple/blue. Very bulky robot form. The Swoop minicon was pretty neat looking though.
    That was really nice of you to give up MP Grimlock to someone.

    Strafe's robot form isn't bulky in person, it's the way the wing-cape looks in package I think, the body is very balanced in robot form.

    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    So, that SDCC exclusive.

    Umm, yeah.

    Anyone know how much they blow on crack every week?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    So I think someone had a lot of fun putting that together. I respect all the effort that was put in it from the extras like the cloth bits, ridiculous hair, Animated guitar/keytar and the packaging. They took a dumb idea and really ran with it all the way to the finish line.


    It's still dumb though.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Fun, yes.

    $200 fun, hell no.

    Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    It's a fun idea but I already own all of those molds and it's not worth the price nor the amount of time I'd have to spend in line for HTS at SDCC. So far it looks like I may not want anything from them this year.
    Pretty much the entire conversation in my head when I first saw this. It's a clever idea, a band reunion after 30 years since this is the 30th anniversary of the brand, taken literally. But it's also a nutty idea, very whimsical, and the special packaging, the wigs, the clothes, the backstage pass and ticket and LP cover and even what I think is a Knights of Unicron temporary tattoo, none of that can make up for the fact that it's $185 for $60 of molds, and it's unusable for any other Transformers collection - it's a funny one-off. To me, a premium-priced funny one-off is also not a very good way to close out the 30th anniversary celebration.

    I had a year where I didn't need anything from HTS, it felt excellent to realize.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  3. #5713
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    That was really nice of you to give up MP Grimlock to someone.
    Thanks, Hopefully I find another one. I was sent to TRU to buy my daughter a birthday present. My wife would have been extremely irritated had i come home with a $75 Dinobot instead.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

  4. #5714
    The Knights set would make a lot more sense if it were a companion to a G.I.Joe Cold Slither set. But it's not. Wasted opportunity.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

  5. #5715
    I picked up 3 of the "movie" (almost all are G1 actually) wave Kreo micro changers at TRU. Got Trypticon, Misfire and Nightbeat. I'll need to go back for Jetfire because for some reason he's named "Jetwash" and I thought it was a made up character.

    Misfire for some very strange reason is an Autobot??? Both the toy and the instructions have him with Autobot insignia, ha!

  6. #5716
    I was straightening up today and realized I'd never opened Scoop.

    I'm a bit disappointed with him, given the price. He's exceedingly simplistic, with more hollow parts than is acceptable for $15. The paint (or lack thereof) is garish and simplistic. Hasbro's shown they're willing to do some color alterations; something in the same color family but far less bright would've been nice. His transformation is wonky, and I full-on hate his bulldozer mode, which just has some major problems.

    Both Targetmasters use the same transformation, which is acceptable; they're Targetmasters. Merged, they look kinda silly, but that's again to be expected because of what they are. Tracer's color scheme is too close to Scoop's and looks strange (plus making him a single-barrel gun when they were both originally double-barrelled other guy's name, Holepunch, fits that better, is questionable). Scoop cannot hold the combined form; it extends too far back and would require either the forearm to rotate or the tire to be positioned differently to pull that off. He's covered with "Mini-Con ports" like the original, only actually using any of them in vehicle mode is impossible due to various parts of the bulldozer blocking them.

    Not horrible (I think he's actually pretty good, despite the flaws), but justifying $15 for this when Armada Starscream is in the very same assortment (and both Swerve and Cosmos retail for less) is inexcusable.

    Edit: I was actually able to get the combined form in his hands, but only in a non-active pose. He can hold the weapon two-handed, if you extend the grip on the "top" weapon. Unfortunately, as often happens with Joe and SW figures, the potential coolness of having a few figures displayed with two-handed grips (which, well, makes sense when someone's gun is huge like Scoop's) is overshadowed by sculpting and articulation that doesn't allow it to be pulled off and look very good.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

  7. #5717
    Total pass on the 2nd SDCC set just revealed - G1 repaints of the AOE Dinobots for $160???

    To me, the molds end up looking worse in those colors. I guess people will still be buying the set for whatever reason but these really aren't the Dinobots most of us have been hoping for since Classics/Generations began.

  8. #5718
    Target in Santa Clarita had Rewind/Sunder, so I caved and bought it, 5% off sale. Pretty much exactly what one would expect really, no surprises.

    Also picked up AOE Galvatron, what a weird figure, it's very solid in bot mode because the best part - the truck cab - is flat-packed as a wide backpack, and the rear of the alt mode truck is just bot legs. The hole in the chest makes no sense, and the blacked out light-pipe eyes is also weird. The poseability is decent, the weapon attaches over the hand like it grows there a la movie 1 weapons but also has a regular peg. I can accept the flat-pack backpack, it makes a nice-looking cab, but I would have preferred some level of detail cover for the legs in alt mode. Mixed review I guess, leaning towards good, but simple transformation and significant backpack makes this a B grade I think.


    Going to Botcon tomorrow I think!

    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I was straightening up today and realized I'd never opened Scoop.

    I'm a bit disappointed with him, given the price. He's exceedingly simplistic, with more hollow parts than is acceptable for $15. The paint (or lack thereof) is garish and simplistic. Hasbro's shown they're willing to do some color alterations; something in the same color family but far less bright would've been nice. His transformation is wonky, and I full-on hate his bulldozer mode, which just has some major problems.

    Both Targetmasters use the same transformation, which is acceptable; they're Targetmasters. Merged, they look kinda silly, but that's again to be expected because of what they are. Tracer's color scheme is too close to Scoop's and looks strange (plus making him a single-barrel gun when they were both originally double-barrelled other guy's name, Holepunch, fits that better, is questionable). Scoop cannot hold the combined form; it extends too far back and would require either the forearm to rotate or the tire to be positioned differently to pull that off. He's covered with "Mini-Con ports" like the original, only actually using any of them in vehicle mode is impossible due to various parts of the bulldozer blocking them.

    Not horrible (I think he's actually pretty good, despite the flaws), but justifying $15 for this when Armada Starscream is in the very same assortment (and both Swerve and Cosmos retail for less) is inexcusable.

    Edit: I was actually able to get the combined form in his hands, but only in a non-active pose. He can hold the weapon two-handed, if you extend the grip on the "top" weapon. Unfortunately, as often happens with Joe and SW figures, the potential coolness of having a few figures displayed with two-handed grips (which, well, makes sense when someone's gun is huge like Scoop's) is overshadowed by sculpting and articulation that doesn't allow it to be pulled off and look very good.
    Sorry to hear it's so bad. It looked it, that's why I passed, but I have more experience with recent TFs to be able to eyeball that stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    Total pass on the 2nd SDCC set just revealed - G1 repaints of the AOE Dinobots for $160???

    To me, the molds end up looking worse in those colors. I guess people will still be buying the set for whatever reason but these really aren't the Dinobots most of us have been hoping for since Classics/Generations began.
    Ha! The best thing in that set is the G1 Ark packaging/cardboard-playset, but the G1 aspect on those sculpts doesn't really hold up, and using silver chrome instead of gold ain't good either. Why leave out Sludge? They have a figure on the way, should have included it at $160. And yeah, $160 for what's $65 at retail is a hard pill to swallow after the musicians set.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  9. #5719
    Received and read the second half of Dark Cybertron yesterday. It's not perfect, but much better than fan discussions would imply. I hope we get more answers on the female Autobots, who just simply show up to everyone's confusion, as well as the Ammonites, who have been way too important for the last year to have just gotten wiped out.

    The decompression in the first 3/4 of the overall story made the finale seem simultaneously dense and rushed, but, still, a rather powerful 1-2-3 punch. Even after all the crap he's pulled for millions of years, Shockwave went out Vader-style as the good man he once was, and I think someone might've been chopping onions behind me.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

  10. #5720
    Looking at the Botcon reveals, I am getting rather tired of them re-releasing the same characters. Another Prime. Another Cliffjumper. Another Powerglide. Even another Windcharger. These aren't even like the "new" Thundercracker; they're new molds!

    Brainstorm, Arcee, Chromia, and Bombshell all look good. And the Megatron, from the pics, looks like an improvement on all the other recent Megatrons (which is impressive, since the stealth fighter version is suh-weeeeeeeet).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO