View Poll Results: What do you think of the OTC line's re-releases?

Voters
458. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it, I'll be buying this great older stuff!

119 25.98%
  • It makes sense, gives new folks a chance at jumping in

86 18.78%
  • Don't love it, but as a completist, I'll be buying it all anyway

46 10.04%
  • I don't really care, neither like it nor hate it

49 10.70%
  • Dislike it, wanted more new stuff, I already have most of this

158 34.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm sort of indifferent. The C-3PO will be nice, and army builders can always use more Stormtroopers and Scout Troopers. However, some of the other choices are rather ridiculous. Darth Vader Throne Room Duel and Boba Fett Pit of Carkoon are hanging on the pegs as we speak, so do we really need them repackaged later on this year? And I don't think we need Han Solo Flight to Alderaan or Princess Leia Imperial Captive if we're going to get those characters in the same outfits in the Original Trilogy Collection. But I guess it's cool for newer collectors, so it doesn't bother me too much.

And I don't think everyone should be worried about there only being two waves of basic figures in the second half of '04. This time last year we didn't know about the Jabba's Palace, Yavin, and Executor waves, so I'm sure Hasbro will have more up its sleeve as the year goes on.
    "This is bad. [I]Episode I[/I] bad!"
    - Andrew the Geek, [I]Buffy the Vampire Slayer[/I]

"Saying the Yankees have a rivalry with the Red Sox is like saying the hammer has a rivalry with the nail."

Allthough I think it sucks with the re-releases, as that is what Hasbro has been doing now for the bast 9 years with some of the figures, it dose give those a chance to start collecting. What I think was that if some of these are re-releases then Hasbro could have put out some newer figures from the other lines. I think that dedicating the second part of the year to the OTC and not placing new product out there for those of us that have the older stuff is not sound business to the core collectors that have been with hasbro since they started up again in 95 and some ot those that have been collecting since 77.

But they are putting new stuff out for the older collectors. 12 "Vintage" Super Articulated figures and 7 "Basic" figures. It's not like they're releasing nothing but older figures. Besides, re-issues were common during the vintage line. Myself, as I said above....welcome the break in the basic figures. So I can afford the vintage ones.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

It's been said, but I'll say it again... If older figures are going to be re-packaged, why not do seriously older figures? Boba fett, Vader, Han and Leia were all out within the last 2 years, and in some stores still sitting there. One figure from the HOF 12 was older (stormtrooper) but that was it. I think Hasbro is suckering completists into buying the same figure over and over again rather than making them available for new collectors. I doubt that most of the figures are even freshly made... most are probably true re-packs (i.e. torn out of cases sitting around and put into new packages).

And likely these won't show in good quantities (though the new package will help this a bit) so it'll frustrate those that do want them. This may be a bad move on hasbro's part, but if I find them I'll buy them.
    Skeeziks22

I believe that Hasbro is trying to get the "target" cuastomer (kids) back into Star Wars. Let's face it with the OT comming out this year many kids will like to have the core characters to play with, just wait for the x-mas season i'm sure all we will get to se are more re-packs and that is fine with me I could give me a break and save some money to get ready for the E3 figures in 2005.
    Donald Rumsfeld briefed the President this morning. He told Bush that 3 Brazilian solders were killed in Iraq. all the color drained from Bush's face,visibly shaken, almost in tears. Finally, he composed himself and asked Rumsfeld, "Just exactly how many is a brazillion?

Well, I "voted" "Don't love it, but as a completist, I'll be buying it all anyway", however, it's more like:

Original Trilogy Collection: Basic Figures
    [Hate it] - #05 - Luke Skywalker - Pilot (POTJ)
    [A third release in 1 year?] - #07 - Han Solo - Flight To Alderaan (POTF2 - Commtech)(Saga Gold)(Saga HOF)
    [Eh] - #08 - Chewbacca - Mechanic (POTJ)
    [Hate it] - #09 - Princess Leia - Death Star Captive (POTF2 - New Likeness)(Saga HOF)
    [A third release in 1 year?] - #10 - Darth Vader (Saga - Throne Room Duel)(Saga HOF)
    [YEAH!!!] - #11 - Scout Trooper (POTJ)
    [Again?] - #12 - R2-D2 - Tatooine Mission (POTJ - Naboo Escape)(Saga HOF)
    [Again?] - #13 - C-3PO - Death Star Rescue (Millenium Minted Coin)(Saga HOF)
    [Again?] - #14 - Boba Fett - The Pit Of Carkoon (Saga)(BTW my local retailers have this figure currently warming pegs)
    [Again?] - #15 - Ben Kenobi - ANH (POTJ)(Saga Target Exclusive BK style Glass)
    [YEAH!!!] - #16 - Stormtrooper - Death Star Chase (POTF2 Commtech)(Saga HOF)
    [Eh] - #17 - Wicket (POTF2)
    [YEAH!!!] - #21 - Tie Fighter Pilot (Saga)

I don't "Hate" any of these figures, but I do hate that they are re-releasing them in the OTC line. I also hate the fact that Hasbro is re-releasing figures less than a year after re-releasing them. I also hate the fact that Hasbo is re-releasing figures that have been out on 2 other cards within the last year.

Don't get me wrong, they aren't all bad, I'm glad to see that they are re-releasing some good stuff (Army Builders). I just haven't seen this many card variations since the POTF2 days (OC, GC w/holo, GC w/o holo and FF).
    May the force be with you.

Im happy they're relreleasing a bunch of figures - there's enough to worry about getting this year already. Remember, we still haven't heard the extent of everything that's coming out - we only know what to expect until the fall. There are still the Cantina Sets (likely at $22 per set) as well as the Sandcrawler (preorders being taken at $70 for this thing). The SA vintage figures will be denting peoples' wallets as well. If there were 21 MORE new basic figures coming out this year, I'd have to consider re-mortgaging the house!
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Hasbro Sucks!!!

If they have to do these constant re-packs, why can't they also re-pack stuff we couldn't find before along with the stuff that was peg-warming then and will be again! Didn't the cantina Han Solo linger on the shelves long enough the first time!? This will be the 3rd time they re-packed the dad-blamed thing! The super articulated retro-card stuf is awesome, why do they need the re-packs at the same time?! All this crap is going to do is take up peg space, and end up causing store to not want to order anymore new cases, in turn causing us to miss new product after it. If I understand the poll here correctly, I don't think it gives us the opportunity to respond correctly. I think all of us love the SA stuff, and of couse we want the other new stuff. but these re-packs are just one more opportunity for Hasbro to tell us how much they hate us!!!! Are you reading this Hasbro?!!! I hope you are!! Where's my Tanus Spijek! Where's all the SAP Clone Troopers?!!! Where's the second wave of Ep.1 Accessory packs! Heck I can't even find the Battle of Yavin figs. YOU GUYS SUCK!!!!!!!

additional thought

I have to agree w/ a previous responce. with the "vintage" SA figs. we don't need the re-issues- that was my take all along.
    interesting tho w/ the basic OTC line so far only 21 figs listed w/ only 7 "new" figs all 7 accrding to EE are due in June/July and among the 2 case asst for these 7, only about 17 0r 18 figs are in thses mixes, the remaining must be later releases i think "classic" Leia, TIE pilot, and Scout trooper are not counted for in either asst.
    Maybe Hasbro realized how retailers order and stock close to new movie product and are putting out the 7 new ones first to get them out in a descent distribution as compared to previous final waves,then as retailers want more the remaining reissues will fill thier orders until EP3 orders are taken and allow time this fall for retailers toget thier stock of current releases out to public w/out competing to get "new" figures. Mybe there won't be as much reissues as we think meaning there to help fill void of retailer lack of orders pre EP3 and to cut down on overstock and shipbacks for credit- which didn't seem to work in the past.
    STILL personally I HATE HAVING NO "NEW" CHARACTERS IN NEW COSTUMES other than the Dagobah and Bespin waves(which really has only 1 "NEW" character)
    but maybe i can "save" some $- (fat chance w/SA"vintage sets)

also, i wouldn't consider the vintage (ie 70's/80's) figures are reissues simply because back then ONLY 1 Vader, Chewie, Stormtrooper, Kenobi etc had stayed unaltered throughout the whole run. Unaltered I mean the fug. kept same pose none were scene specific so those vintage had to remain available throughout. the reissues of today are scene specific. if it is necessary to reissue core char. then alter the fig ie intead of luke tat. encounter in saga coll2 then HOF then in OTC, could have offered an alternate such as blast shield luke or better yet to appear to kids, 1 luke w/ access from various versions, the new bubbles sure can hold a bunch like blast helmet, floppy hat, t-16 model,saber,blaster,tatooine poncho
    Last edited by jedikiss; 03-17-2004 at 11:10 PM. Reason: forgot

Quote Originally Posted by Bacta Beast
    If they have to do these constant re-packs, why can't they also re-pack stuff we couldn't find before along with the stuff that was peg-warming then and will be again! Didn't the cantina Han Solo linger on the shelves long enough the first time!? This will be the 3rd time they re-packed the dad-blamed thing! The super articulated retro-card stuf is awesome, why do they need the re-packs at the same time?! All this crap is going to do is take up peg space, and end up causing store to not want to order anymore new cases, in turn causing us to miss new product after it. but these re-packs are just one more opportunity for Hasbro to tell us how much they hate us!!!! Are you reading this Hasbro?!!! I hope you are!! Where's my Tanus Spijek! Where's all the SAP Clone Troopers?!!! Where's the second wave of Ep.1 Accessory packs! Heck I can't even find the Battle of Yavin figs. YOU GUYS SUCK!!!!!!!
    Seriously.......

<---- A smiley from Hasbro