Quote Originally Posted by Cinescape Online
The ninth Doctor is in

Dateline: Monday, March 22, 2004

By: PATRICK SAURIOL, News Editor
Source: BBC

Christopher Eccleston has been crowned the new Doctor Who.

Eccleston, perhaps best known to North American audiences as Major West in 28 DAYS LATER, will become the ninth incarnation of the Doctor when the new DOCTOR WHO television series begins filming later this spring. He has starred in a variety of Hollywood films including small roles in GONE IN 60 SECONDS, eXistenZ and THE OTHERS, as well as many British productions including ELIZABETH, JUDE with Kate Winslet and the recent mini-series THE SECOND COMING.

Russell T. Davies, the head writer and showrunner for the new WHO, said Eccleston was his first choice for the role. "His casting raises the bar for all of us. It's going to be a magnificent, epic, entertaining journey, and I can't wait to start," Davies is quoted as saying on the BBC's website.
Now, I had started a new Dr. Who thread, and when I went to add this update ... no sign of the old thread! Yesterday, I went to update the Dark Shadows thread--same thing! I guess the switch to the new server ...?

Anyway ... interesting choice, considering rumor has it that Eccleston is playing young Wilhuf Tarkin in Episode III, the role originated in Episode IV by Peter Cushing. Cushing starred in two Dr. Who films in England back in the 1960s ... whoa! Now that's spooky! A Dalek plot, perhaps?