Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Song Ever

Re: Worst Song Ever

Nirvana was only a part of a group of imerging bands from Seattle. Similar to the British Invasion (which spawed domestic imitators) there was the Seattle-sound music explosion of the early 1990's. Nirvana was the most POPULAR out of that group but that does make them an influence. Pearl Jam, Green River, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Mother Love Bone, Temple of the Dog, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. Of any in that group I think Nirvana wasn't the biggest influencial band out of that group. 2 albums and only a few years of performances before he offed himself.

Personally I can see influences more from Soundgarden and Alice in Chains than anything remotely from Nirvana. During the early 1990's, Mother Love Bone had A LOT more to do with the Seattle sound than Nirvana ever did.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I liked nirvana way back when, and I still like most of the old songs (they ARE old now by the way). I refuse, however, to put nirvana on some sort of pedestal. I remember around 96-97-98 or so, when I first started to go to bars and places like that, they always played songs like "who the F is Alice?", "Macarena" and the like. They were crap but everybody 19 and over (or 21 in the US) knew them. They were played continuously. I would hardly call them influential or genoius despite the fact that they undoubtedly influnce dance music today in some way. See where I'm going with this. Copycating does not mean that what is being mimicked it genious. It just means that people are trying to cash in on the same sorta stuff in the hopes that they will get played (or overplayed) as much. Nirvana is no different. So what if people were influenced by them. People are influenced by lots of things that aren't genious. Saying Cobain's a genious or the beatles are legendary is just like errecting a national memorial to the guy who wrote the line "throw your hands in the air, and wave them like you just don't care."
    Hating aurra sing since 1999.

Man, can we all just agree that Lemmy (that smile needs some warts) is greater than Kurt?

You will all agree with me eventually.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

hehehehe USA Today has a huge article on "Cobain's Legacy."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...t-cobain_x.htm

Enjoy! cheers!!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Some misguided teen from that article
    ...and every time I hear it I want to jump on my bed and go crazy.
    I feel the same way about Oderus Urungus.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
    hehehehe USA Today has a huge article on "Cobain's Legacy."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...t-cobain_x.htm

Enjoy! cheers!!
    Stillakid, I truly believe that article should suffice. USA Today is the #1 paper in America...but I guess you will find some way to discredit them. And I never stated that Nirvana influenced everyone. There are just a great number of people/song writers/rockers who were influenced by Kurt.
    On the MTV documentary, "Nirvana 3 years...Forever" No Doubt, Fred Durst, and Good Charlotte (AMONG OTHERS) stated that Cobain was definitely an influence upon their music. I could go on and on but I don't have the time to dig up the information right now. Go to google.com and type in the search box: Cobain Legacy or Cobain influence and weed through the articles and see what the media has to say about it. It is not hard to do. No hard feelings stillakid.

B.
    Last edited by TheDarthVader; 04-07-2004 at 04:00 PM.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

Ahhh, gotta love media lip-service... I guess whiny 3 chord repetitive pop music really is goundbreaking, after all, what was I thinking
    And yes, I would agree with you but I won't use in the same sentence as the "K" word

I would like to nominate "a Day in the life", by that great band the Beatles... it sounds like a really lousy Monty Python sketch, is allover the place both rhythmically and thematically and seems to have some sort of "heavy", revolutionary message, all the while being as trite as the day is long.. that song, while really great, is like a train-wreck

Now, I'm gonna start another thread, all this trying to disprove stillakid is getting ridiculous... I don't agree with everything he says, butin this case he keeps repreating himself because he's absolutely right and folks keep trying to say other wise...

Now when do I get a comment on "reggae Cowboys"???
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

I apologize Mabudon. I am not trying to take over the thread.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

I hate any song by love inc. They're some lameass canadian dance music "band". Pure CRAP.
    Hating aurra sing since 1999.

That's Chris Shepherd's "band" (Love Inc.). He was a Toronto area radio dance music DJ for most of the late 80's and early 90's. He knows the scene, but his take on the music was and is terrible. Pretty much the entire "cutesy" dance music genre is cacauphonic to me.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008