Hybrid View

Rolling Stones Top 50 of all time

Just found this on my browser Homepage. Rolling Stone dropped a 50 greatest of All time list on us. Check it out.

Click the
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Re: Rolling Stones Top 50 of all time

I'm glad Buddy Holly made it high on the list.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

While the list looks pretty decent to me, with the names and all up there. SOme are out of order a bit, but Ican not see Public Enemy ranking higher than Run DMC.

Your thoughts, while scratching your perhaps?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.

Well, since the reminded me of metal, I have to ask: Where is Black Sabbath on that list?
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Black Sabbath or Ozzy should be on there somewhere. Metal gets the shaft once again...

On the list I disagree with Nirvana being on there. If nothing else, put them lower on the list. There were very influential for their time but where do we see unique Nirvana influences today? Heck, you can go a good week or so without hearing any of their songs on the classic rocks stations. As we distance ourselves from the early 90's and the grunge rock era, the Nirvana sound seems oddly out of place. I would say Soundgarden has had a longer influence with their sound being very prominent in such bands as Queens of the Stoneage.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

The lack of Ozzy's name is rather intriguing. He shoud have been mentioned. Alsowhere is Floyd?

I guess when you are tired you dont realize the things that are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    The lack of Ozzy's name is rather intriguing. He shoud have been mentioned. Alsowhere is Floyd?
    troobs, they should both be in there.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    I guess when you are tired you dont realize the things that are missing.
    thats your famous non-use of sarcasm again isn't it kh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port
    Black Sabbath or Ozzy should be on there somewhere. Metal gets the shaft once again...

On the list I disagree with Nirvana being on there. If nothing else, put them lower on the list. There were very influential for their time but where do we see unique Nirvana influences today? Heck, you can go a good week or so without hearing any of their songs on the classic rocks stations. As we distance ourselves from the early 90's and the grunge rock era, the Nirvana sound seems oddly out of place. I would say Soundgarden has had a longer influence with their sound being very prominent in such bands as Queens of the Stoneage.
    Agreed. Nirvana didn't influence squat despite the unsubstantiated claims to the contrary. They were the flavor of the month, overplayed corporate tripe along with Pearl Jam. Both fairly quickly dismissed from the airwaves once the grooves wore out. Sure, a scant few impressionable teens looking for a bleeding heart suicide victim to idolize have tried to turn Cobain into the new Jim Morrison or something, but the guy was just a lucky garage band noise maker. Nothing more, nothing less.

Good point Stilla. If the music guru's must claim that Nirvana was legendary (and made the list) then were are the Doors? Personally I felt that Nirvana's albums after Nevermind were declining in impact. I would only hold Nevermind as their crowning achievement but one album doesn't make them legends in the field. This is the same band that released Bleached (their first album). Ugh.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I saw list last night and was also wondering were Pink Floyd, C, N and S, and some others were. Elvis and Bob Dylan I think should have swapped places. Buddy Holly should have been Buddy Holly and the Crickets. But I was glad to see a number of early people on there like Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, and Bo Diddley (I need to get this stuff on CD some time). And I think a few like Bob Marley and The Velvet Underground ranked too high and the Beach Boys and Led Zeppelin ranked too low. Over all one of the better lists I've seen from Rolling Stone.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane