Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What would you have done differently?

In this case my choice would have been entirely different in the direction of Anakin. I would have had him play it very unemotional - totally devoid of any emotion in fact - including the reintroduction to Padme. Switch it around so she's pursuing him, he's uncaring. That way him losing it with the Tuskens would have stood out more, and would have been in stark contrast to the character we'd seen until that point - including the way he was played by Jake Lloyd. It would have looked more like he was "on the right path" to becoming a Jedi, and would have made the start of a rift between him and Obi Wan another interesting on screen moment, Obi Wan aghast at Ani thinking on his own as opposed to yelling at him again for thinking along different lines. It's more interesting to see relationships change, in my opinion.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Re: What would you have done differently?

Well, they had to show his arrogance somewhere JJ. Him always butting in with his 2 cents was nice. Aftyerall, they had to live up to the "I thought I could train him as well as Yoda" line from the OT. They had to show some conflict.

They could of gotten away with Padme sweatin' Ani. But all in all it was good to show his defiance towards the council and rules.

The whole Tusken thing to me showed that he can and will use his power to his advantage. He will do anything he can to get his way.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by jjreason
    In this case my choice would have been entirely different in the direction of Anakin. I would have had him play it very unemotional - totally devoid of any emotion in fact - including the reintroduction to Padme. Switch it around so she's pursuing him, he's uncaring. That way him losing it with the Tuskens would have stood out more, and would have been in stark contrast to the character we'd seen until that point - including the way he was played by Jake Lloyd. It would have looked more like he was "on the right path" to becoming a Jedi, and would have made the start of a rift between him and Obi Wan another interesting on screen moment, Obi Wan aghast at Ani thinking on his own as opposed to yelling at him again for thinking along different lines. It's more interesting to see relationships change, in my opinion.
    That's an interesting idea. If nothing else, he would have come off less as the whiny bipolar brat that he is and the transition to the relatively "play it cool" Darth Vader version of him would have been smoother. Yeah, I think you're on to something here!

Remake anyone?

I love brats. Johnsonville are my favorite kind.

I would have left in the scenes with Padme's family and I would have cut Threepio's tomfoolery in the Droid Factory.

I like this one more than TPM, which I like a lot anyway. Some things though.
    *Padmé. Some of her lines were really stupid, or Natalie can't act, I don't know (maybe a bit of both?).
    *C-3PO. His lame puns and plays on words are much better than the TPM poo-poo jokes, but still, they aren't great. I kind of have a problem with him landing on that droid in the factory, I liked it a lot better in the IMAX version when he landed right on the conveyor belt.

that's a good choice there jjreason, a small writing change that would have had great affect on the feel of the film.

I personally really don't like this film at all. Even though I can't stand TPM, it at least captured my attention, AOTC doesn't work for me in so many ways. What I would have done differently as a moviegoer is stayed home, saved the money I spent on the tickets and waited for DVD. As a filmmaker, I would have a very large list of changes but don't much feel like fleshing 'em out, unlike TPM where I spent much time fleshing out those ideas of mine.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I know i am going totally off topic here but I hate the whole computer animated Apple/Pear scene. When Padme bites into it, it just looks aweful.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Yeah, I know what you mean. Both the apple part and Ani Shaak Surfing didn't suit me in terms of CG blending or whatever. My theory is that CG still blends better into darker backgrounds, anything against stark lighting (the meadow was in broad daylight, and there was bright light coming through the window of the dining room). Superhero costumes are the same way, they need to make these things happen in semi-darkness if they want them to look as good as possible. I think that's why Coruscant and (heaven forbid) the droid factory look a little better than those two other scenes.

All that being said, I was fairly impressed with Lama Su, and that was about as starkly lit as could be. There are exceptions to every rule.

Quote Originally Posted by jjreason
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Both the apple part and Ani Shaak Surfing didn't suit me in terms of CG blending or whatever. My theory is that CG still blends better into darker backgrounds, anything against stark lighting (the meadow was in broad daylight, and there was bright light coming through the window of the dining room). Superhero costumes are the same way, they need to make these things happen in semi-darkness if they want them to look as good as possible. I think that's why Coruscant and (heaven forbid) the droid factory look a little better than those two other scenes.

All that being said, I was fairly impressed with Lama Su, and that was about as starkly lit as could be. There are exceptions to every rule.

Explain Mighty Joe Young then.

I was having this CG discussion with a friend the other day as we tried to figure out some of the upcoming Van Helsing problems/successes. I think your last statement is on the right track. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason as to why some FX work and others don't. Is it the software? Or the skill of the animator himself? Both? Something else?

Undoubtedly one day it will be figured out, but until that time, it would be nice if filmmakers would exercise some restraint in the use of CG. It's a fun tool and all, but it is just a tool amongst many. If CG isn't working out, you find another way...mechanical fx maybe or just cut the shot altogether. Or shoot and edit around the problem if need be. Lucas's quest to sell CG as the saviour of moviemaking backfires everytime a bad effect makes it to screen. The whole of AOTC is testament to that. The story suffered as did the acting and just about everything else. It's really too bad. It didn't have to be that way.

I haven't seen Mighty Joe Young, so I'll have to withhold any comments... I'm not even sure I know what it's about (some sort of monkey trouble, no?).

The CG in Lord of the Rings worked a lot better for me (minus Gollum in a few shots, but I got more used to him the more I watched the movies), and I think it's because you're not looking at JUST cg at any given time. The battle on Naboo's surface in TPM has a very cartoony feel, you can tell none of it is really there. Just too much. It's possible that models in the shots might have helped, but hard to say for sure. Watching the OT and PT it becomes starkly apparent that realism and grit are better created with models, for the time being.

I'm really hoping that Episode III goes a long way in tying the trilogies together visually. I think they'll try to do this as much as they can; with any luck a generous dose of grit and grime will be included as they war will have been on for some time by the opening of that movie.