Recently, Lucasfilm announced that they had reacquired the Official Star Wars Fan Club after 17 years and were making some significant changes, including:
This makes Lucasfilm the 4th company to manage for the Fan Club in as many years.
- merging the Fan Club with sw.com's Hyperspace online membership service
- renaming it "Hyperspace: The Official Star Wars Fan Club"
- changing publishers on the Star Wars Insider magazine
- lowering the issue count on the Insider to 6 per year
- raising the cost of membership to $39.95 a year
- revamping the membership kit
- discounts on certain items and other perks at the official online Star Wars store
- discontinuing Insider-only subscriptions
Current members of the Fan Club are not being carried over to the Hyperspace Fan Club, instead being invited to join Hyperspace at full price and treated as Insider Subscribers only until their subscriptions run out, even though members paid $10 more to join the previous Fan Club than Insider-only subscribers.
* Correction, current members of the Paizo-run Fan Club will receive "offline benefits". -JT
So what is the Star Wars fans' take on all of this? Are you excited, are you going to subscribe? Vote now and voice your opinion.