Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Punisher

The Punisher

With The Punisher's release date fast approching, I get more and more excited every day! As far as I can tell, this is going to be an awesome movie. My only fear is John "Battlefield Earth" Travolta. I've seen the trailers and I'm not totally convinced by him. I hope all of my anticipation is worth it.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Re: The Punisher

I am looking forward to this movie. However, I am a little skeptical of the story. I understand that the Vietnam Shell-shock is a little overplayed, but that added alot of feasability to the psychosis that Frank Castle could have succumb to. I also truly enjoyed the Punisher in New York, it just adds a grietier feel to it than Miami. I understand that the Punisher doesn't have alot of enemies to deal with, since they all end up dead. I would have liked to have seen Jigsaw as an enemy in this one. It looks like they took a little from the new story line with Speckler (?), the guy with all of the rings in his face), and the Russian. Otherwise, it just looks like another killing spree.

They actually changed Castle's history for the movie. He's a former CIA agent now. Castle would have to be in his 50's in order to be a 'Nam vet, which Thomas Jane isn't. At first I wasn't happy with that change, but in all reality, it makes sense.
    Also, I can deal with this being in Florida...for now. I say move it New York in a sequel (if they make some). Florida isn't exactly known for it's scum and villany.
    As CaptSolo said, Travolta is my only concern too. He's a very overrated actor.
    Jigsaw always seemed pretty lame to me. "Punisher cut my face. I will kill him!"
    The Punisher is heavily adapted from the awesome 'Welcome Back Frank' storyline, which had the Russian, Spacker Dave, Joan, and Mr. Bumpo, who are all in the movie.

9 more days...
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I am just happy that it is rated R, and we are not getting a watered down version.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Saw a flyer for an autograph signing session for Thomas Jane in Seattle that took place yesterday. All it had was an address. No phone number, no amount for how much the autographs would cost. I picked it up at a Comic Show last weekend. But since half the guests on the guest list didn't show, I wasn't too motivated to leave work and drive an hour to try and find this place and attempt to get an autograph.
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    The Punisher is heavily adapted from the awesome 'Welcome Back Frank' storyline, which had the Russian, Spacker Dave, Joan, and Mr. Bumpo, who are all in the movie.

9 more days...
    that's what i'm afraid of... they're kinda treating this too straight... that whole story arc, and in fact ennis' entire run, was a tongue-in-cheek look at the strange world frank inhabits...

all this is made worse in the new commercial where they have joan and spacker dave, and then that staind song playing... UGH!

and rebecca stamos' joan is too good-looking. she's supposed to be mousy, or at least plain-jane (plain joan?)

i'm hoping it's good, but i think it'll suck. but not as much as catwoman! BLUH!
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Quote Originally Posted by darthvyn
    all this is made worse in the new commercial where they have joan and spacker dave, and then that staind song playing... UGH!
    Don't hate the Punisher because they used Staind in the commercial!
    As for Joan and Dave (& Mr. Bumo), they seem to be what helps keeps Frank grounded and human.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

no, i just hate staind even MORE now, since they used him in the trailer...

i love the characters of "welcome back, frank"

spacker dave is funny as hell! i just hope they did it RIGHT!

Thumbs down Re: The Punisher

WARNING snooze alert.

Looks like Marvel's streak of quality projects is over. Saw this movie today and it is horrible. Probably the worst movie I've seen so far this year, a real POS. Any fan of the comic is due for a major disappointment.

The story is weak and tedious using just about every action/revenge movie cliche in the book. The FBI angle doesn't work and the execution of his family feels so staged you end up feeling nothing for the characters as they're mowed down. The acting is stiff and John Travolta delivers his worst preformance since "Battlefield Earth". If you've seen the trailer then you've seen every action sequence this film has to offer. You're forced to spend way to much of the film watching Frank's boring neighbors doing basically nothing. This isn't The Punisher I grew up reading and if you're feeling the need to see a good revenge flick I'd suggest watching a far superior comic book adaptation in "The Crow".
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

Did you get a Spider-Man comic when you saw it? When I saw Kill Bill there was a couple in front of me who received two Spider-Man comics for purchasing Punisher tickets. I almost bought a ticket to a later Punisher showing just to see what the comic was...but I was afraid of being out at the Lennox after 7pm for fear of being robbed.
    Back and more bearded than ever before