Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Question If you've cut back or stopped...?

... how are you handling it?

Hello, my name is Bel-Cam Jos (Hi, Bel-Cam), and I used to be a Star Wars toy completist. Recently within the last couple years, my new job as a teacher has me much more busy than before, so I haven't been out to search as often for SW action figures, toys, etc. I now can enter a store and look for (gasp! ) only the figures that I like, instead of a cartful of what I "need" to get.

And you know what, I have no problem with that.

Am I no longer a fan? Have a turned into (gasp! ) an adult now? It wasn't frustration with poor quality or not being able to find any figures, although I know some have reduced their own buying or even quit collecting for those reasons. I just haven't had the time.

So, what have you done and how have you felt?
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Re: If you've cut back or stopped...?

I, for the most part have stopped because of lack of room in my place and moreso the debt I was getting into. I had to cut it off like a bad habit because it was controlling me. I do still pick up the figs for the cantina and Jabbas palace and looking to get the Silver Aniversary Darth someday but that is where I am drawing the line. I basically just go by the toy rack at WM and look at them there since I almost practically live there so it helps ease the pain. Sometimes I start going through withdrawls seeing all the cool figs to buy but have to bite my toungue to keep myself at bay because if I start again, I will be in big trouble.
    Last edited by scruffziller; 04-10-2004 at 09:48 AM.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I stopped collecting seriously just before the time of Episode I.
    I'll buy the occasional really cool figure now and then, or I get a little crazy when the inital movie figs come out, but that's it.
    It costs waaaaay too much and it's hard to find much of anything anymore.

Right now, I want the Clone Wars figures (but $7 a pop!?) and the figures with the glass.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Well, I have never been a completist. I usually buy the figures Ilike or new figures. Irefuse tobuy rehashes, and such. I have stopped buying vehicles and playsets unless I really want them. One way I found tocut down on the expense is lay a way. I cn pay it off over a two month period instead of dropping all the cash on 8 figures at once. It does help alot with expenses. Putting 5 bucks here and there eases the mind. I no longer have to buy them and take them home right away like some deranged lunatic.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Hmmm, well yes, and no. I actually started collecting more, before I started collecting less. LOL

Seriously, after I began collecting (1998) I was into a lot of other lines, Movie Maniacs, Silent Screamers, G.I.Joe, Xena (for my girlfriend, now my wife), I even got into Gundam for a while (mostly because I like building models). I was even collecting $20-$30 a week in comics, and of course, with them several of the figures (Lady Death, LAdy Demon, Green Lantern, etc)

That was back in the day, when my girlfriend/wife and I were D.I.N.K.s (Double Income No Kids).

Since then I have liquidated most of the other collections, mostly for space.

However, Star Wars has always been the main reason I started collecting and my first collecting love. I have not stopped or slowed down, except for the long lulls of empty pegs or peg warmers. But ofr the most part I have always been a completist. The only exception being a few truely horrible figures from the 2002 Saga line.

Truth be told, I wish I had never really picked up any of the other lines, but live and learn I guess. There are still a few neat pieces I have collected over the years that I kept (12 inch Blade from "The Puppet Master", my Green Lantern collection). Unfortunatly, most of the junk I bought was money down the tube.
    May the force be with you.

Hmm, two years ago i was strictly a Star Wars collector. Since then ive started to collect three other lines: Transformers reissues, LOTR, and TMNT. With the Star Wars figures i would describe my collecting habit as i get one of every background character, but will pass up on the various Lukes, Hans, Chewies etc. unless i really like them. Same goes with the Transformers, LOTR, and Turtles lines. Of the Transformers i would say im a bit more diverse, im always searching ebay for Beast Wars figures that i missed out on, i pick up a few reissues but not all, i buy a few of the Heroes of Cybertron figures and ive recently bought a few Energon figures (mainly ones that have an animal look to them.) I avoid all comics (with the exception of the More Than Meets the Eye series) and do not pick up one or two figures from other lines even if i like how they look.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

I have stopped almost BECAUSE I LIVE IN A TOWN THAT IS SMALL I CAN WALK ACROSS IT IN 20 MINUTES AND WE NEVER GET ANYTHING NEW HERE . THIS TOWN LIVES IN THE PAST AND I AM SICK OF IT. WE ARE NOT EVEN ON A MAP FOR GOD'S SAKE THAT IS JUST FREAKIN GREAT. There I feel all better now.
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.[/FONT]

I was a completist until Sio Bibble, Holo Sidious, and Qui-Gon with Eopie. Not being able to find them, I sank into a deep depression and tried to manufacture death sticks to take away my pain. I continued buying everything I could find until recently, with the tons of reissues (especially of the vehicles). I'm still getting all the new basic figures, at least thus far, and a lot of the better vehicles, but garbage like the TRU Jedi four-pack and the Red Leader X-Wing have pretty much made me feel better in being a noncompletist.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    ... how are you handling it?

Hello, my name is Bel-Cam Jos (Hi, Bel-Cam), and I used to be a Star Wars toy completist. Recently within the last couple years, my new job as a teacher has me much more busy than before, so I haven't been out to search as often for SW action figures, toys, etc. I now can enter a store and look for (gasp! ) only the figures that I like, instead of a cartful of what I "need" to get.

And you know what, I have no problem with that.

Am I no longer a fan? Have a turned into (gasp! ) an adult now? It wasn't frustration with poor quality or not being able to find any figures, although I know some have reduced their own buying or even quit collecting for those reasons. I just haven't had the time.

So, what have you done and how have you felt?
    DITTO Buddy, Dito!!! well, just not the teacher part
    [FONT=ComicSansMS]"What happens in Indy STAYS in Indy!".[/FONT]
    [FONT=ComicSansMS]"The only thing you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you".[/FONT]

I stopped being a "double (one carded, one opened) completist" after the POTJ line; exception being EP1 because most of those figures have no appeal to me whatsoever.

This Saga line has too many rehashes for my taste and now I'd also like to say that I have become an OPENER!! Yaaaaaaaaayyyyyy! And only buy two of a figure if I really, really like it....the figure has to be a great sculpt AND it has to look fantabulous on the card.

As BCJ said, it's really easy to go into a store now when I get the chance and pass on things I don't have simply because I don't like them for whatever reason.

I feel so free to not be a completist anymore and to finally be an opener...I think I owe the latter to Tycho really, although he may not know this yet
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!