Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You Know Things Are Ridiculous When...

...you pay $7.99 in a supermarket for Star Wars figures, but that is what I just did.

I had to stop by the local Stop 'N' Shop to get some more paper for my printer (as all the other stores are closed on Easter), and the toys are in the same aisle as the paper.

And what do I see on a peg? A Dutch Vander! Now, I had seen one in a Kay-Bee for $6.99 earlier in the week and had passed on him, picking up a General Dodonna and Captain Antilles figure instead, but then I noticed how much more realistically-sized their pistols were compared to the Tantive IV defender pistols and regretted not getting Dutch. I wanted the extra pistol, plus I have yet to own a Y-Wing, and who knows whether the OTC re-release is going to come with a pilot (although with my luck it will come with Dutch Vander).

Anyway, so I grabbed him off the peg, and then I noticed a Skiff Guard Lando lying on its back on the shelf below the pegs. I decided to take a look around to see what else they might have had, and I found - ta-daa - a Rappertunnie and Tanus Spijek!

I had never seen these figures before in the flesh, so while it disgusted me a little to pay $8 for a figure at a store, I figured that once you factored in shipping from an online store, I might be even money just getting them there, so I did.

So, lesson reinforced, first of all - when you see a figure you might want, just buy the damn thing (i.e. I should have picked up Dutch at the Kay-Bee).

But, more importantly, how ridiculous has the state of collecting become when you actually not only consider buying a figure for $8 but actually do it three times???

You know, a lot of us complain about this being Hasbro's fault, with thier terrible distribution, but I have said it before and I will say it again - I don't think it is. I think this is the fault of the scalpers and the online sellers. They show up at the toy stores on truck days, have established relationships with the workers, and raid the cases of all the short-packed figures before regular customers ever get a chance to see them on the pegs.

Just go onto eBay and look for sellers in your area with the rare figures up for auction. Wouldn't that prove that Hasbro IS distributing these figures to ALL of our neighborhoods?

My wife and I have talked about this a lot, and I think I am just going to move all my collecting onto the internet. It sucks to have to pay higher-than-store prices, and then to have to worry about shipping, but honestly, I am just sick and tired of looking around for figures and hardly finding anything anymore. I have yet to see a single Star Destroyer wave figure ANYWHERE in the greater Boston area, not to mention the Red ARC Trooper, which I am going to have to resort to eBay for like I had to for Ephant Mon about two weeks ago.

Re: You Know Things Are Ridiculous When...

I wouldn't say its bad. I have paid 8 dollars for a figure at CVS only because I had never seen it before. I would consider yourself lucky that you found those figures. Like you said, resorting to Ebay and e-tailers would cost you more in the long run. The only downside to ordering online is I will order cases, and then I have to dump the extras. I will offer them here first and then on Ebay. If that doesnt work, my stepson gets em.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

But, more importantly, how ridiculous has the state of collecting become when you actually not only consider buying a figure for $8 but actually do it three times???
    Count yourself lucky. When I was living in Hawaii regular Episode 1 figures were $7.99 retail at TRU! I ended up paying $8 a figure for almost half of my EP1 collection. Then found the later waves for $1.98 (including TC-14, R2-B1 and Swimming Jar-Jar) at the same TRU!

I also ended up paying $8.00 each for my entire FF collection, but that included all figures MOMC in US packaging (except for the Tri Weequay).
    May the force be with you.

Suncoast also has $8 figures, and since my mom got some Jabba's Palace figures which I've never seen before, that's just fine with me. It's kinda high, but the extra $3 is well worth it if you find new figures, IMO.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I have paid more for figures, because they were either exclusives like the $10 silver bobafett at Wizard World, or the fan club, or the 12" clone troopers at KB. Or I have paid more just because I find the figure at a place like suncoast, but never at Target or Wal-Mart, and I don't want to chance missing out on that figure. Occasionally I may find it for less, but more than half the time, I only see the figure once, like Durge with the speeder bike.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Well, thanks for the words of solidarity, all. I guess I don't feel too bad after all.

Besides, when I was checking out the receipt while balancing my checkbook, I noticed that I was only charged $6.99 for each figure. I guess someone was looking out for me. AND I don't need to feel bad for not getting that Dutch Vander at Kay Bee...

I've found many a rare figure at Rite-Aids, CVS's and even Dollar Generals. I had a post a while back titled "Rite-Aid Treasure Chests" because of all the loot I found there during the Summer of 2000, including many hard-to-find Action Fleet ships and a few rare Episode 1 figures.

Yes, they are a tad overpriced but you have to be willing to shell that out, especially for figures you haven't been finding elsewhere. The regret can be strong. I saw a whole entire wave of POTF2 Shadows of the Empire at one of my Rite Aids, and would have bought it, had I known that they were rare. Once in a while, you'll find stuff for great prices like Saga Deluxes at Dollar Generals for $2 or even a 50% clearance on Episode 1 stuff Rite Aid had in 2000.

With the major retailers having consistently nothing lately, why not try and scope out a few drug stores and who knows what you will find?
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

I've regularly been checking Stop & Shop and CVS and have made some good finds. CVS seems to put out waves that are a few months old, so it's usually a great place to find older figures. My S&S's have not had the Jabba wave yet , but they do have the Yavin wave, so I'm watching them carefully. I've also noticed that some Stop and Shops seem to sell their figures for $6.99 others for $7.99. Like you said, it's still cheaper than ebay.

I had no problem paying the $10 per figure for the Fan Club excusives (back when they still had them. >sigh<) plus the $6.95 and up to ship them, so I'm not complaining about the 8 bucks. The only sad thing is that Stop & Shop is primarily a grocery store and CVS is a pharmacy. TRU is a toy store, and Wal-Mart and Target both brag about how their toy departments give TRU a run for their money, and you can never find any of these toys on their pegs. My TRU just restocked all their pegs last Thursday---with the AOTC preview wave!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scackmgackm
    That is the reason why I haven't bought any Clone Wars animated figures.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

It's worth it.
    Think of the gas money you would spend anyway driving to the TRU or Wal Mart to check for em.
    I'd gladly just pay the $8 and get a bunch i needed at once.
    There are some figures they do come out and then you never see them again.
    It does happen, so it's not often i look at one and think "ahh...i'll get him next time"
    No way, not anymore.
    With the distribution problems of the last few years if i see something i need, i get it.
    If i see it again somwhere later,oh well, i needed it anyway.
    Usually i don't see stuff again though.
    Anakin and Dooku on Swoops..Trash Compacter sets...Clone Trooper 3 packs..

-V-