Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thumbs down Red Leader and his X-wing...HORRIBLE

I got my first personal look at the new TRU Exclusive Red Leader X-Wing with the exclusive Red Leader Figure. Total Crap!
    The X-wing, itself, is not bad but there is a cardboard cut-out for a red droid. What?? Hasbro couldn't throw in a droid for a $30 x-wing? Lets see here...X-wing retail $20, figure retail $5, okay that's $25. Now how about another figure to even things out? Nope. They didn't do it!
    And now I will address the biggest problem: the red leader figure is the worst pilot figure ever made! He is way too skinny and small! His face sculpt is horrible! And I thought the POTJ Luke X-wing pilot was the worst face sculpt. This red leader figure's face does not even look anything like Greven Dreis. And guess what? The helmet is not removeable! Did Hasbro bother to throw in a cool accessory like a ladder? NO! Why would they throw in a ladder when they won't even give us the droid that we need?
    HORRIBLE! Simply horrible!
    The only good point is the packaging...I really like the packaging.

GRADE OVERALL: D-
    FIGURE: ZERO, F
    X-WING: B+
    Last edited by TheDarthVader; 04-12-2004 at 02:41 PM.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

Re: Red Leader and his X-wing...HORRIBLE

If you have the Queens Starship (you know that silver piece of junk) you can use the red droid out of that. just a suggestion.
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.[/FONT]

Yeah I feel your frustration here TDV. I picked this up over the weekend and while I'm not totally disappointed I can't make the arguement that its a great buy either.

The X-Wing itself is well done with the exception of a rather small cockpit. If you had plans to put say Gold Leader in this ship, forget about it. The only X-Wing pilots that will fit in this rendition are the real skinny ones.
    Grade: B-

Red Leader is just another recycled figure. He possess the exact same body as the POTJ Luke X-Wing only with a new head that doesn't have a removable helmet. The fact that his helmet doesn't come off is a letdown but they could've at least given him a proper sized head. When standing next to other pilots his head w/helmet looks about half the normal size. I really wish they would've just thrown in an astromech repaint and saved Red Leader as a single carded character because this figure is total garbage.
    Grade: F
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

This is disappointing to hear. I was actually looking forward to this.

I suspects that the R2 unit is something we'll see carded down the line, or part of one of those TRU 4-packs, which will hopefully also contain the figure and accessories from the proposed Yavin accesory pack.

Does Red Leader's helmet at least have the clear orange visor glued onto it? Or is it the same as the pre-removable helmet pilots?

Quote Originally Posted by B'Omarr Monkey

Does Red Leader's helmet at least have the clear orange visor glued onto it? Or is it the same as the pre-removable helmet pilots?
    no visor on helmet.

am i the only collector who is getting fed up of hasbro trying to push crap like this on us? a cardboard cutout droid for god's sake! there is obviously a department buried deep within hasbro's head office where they sit and think how to screw collectors for even more of their hard earned cash for very little in return.

I'm so glad I had no intentions of getting this.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I agree with you JEDIpartner..once I saw the pics I was leaning towards not getting it....this review has clinched it for me...

Thanks guys...

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIpartnr
    I'm so glad I had no intentions of getting this.
    I think you speak for many of us here...
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

Quote Originally Posted by arctangent
    am i the only collector who is getting fed up of hasbro trying to push crap like this on us? a cardboard cutout droid for god's sake! there is obviously a department buried deep within hasbro's head office where they sit and think how to screw collectors for even more of their hard earned cash for very little in return.
    However crappy this item might be as a whole (I haven't seen it yet) I don't think Hasbro was trying to put one over on anybody with the cardboard droid. I'm sure it's just meant as a placement to show the uninitiated that you can plug an R2 unit figure into the socket. Hopefully this means we'll see Red Leader's R2 unit farther down the line.

I'm sure everyone would be complaining even more if it came with a droid that was nonremovable, and simply a dome, like the original X-Wing, which we'll be getting again in the Fall.