Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Star Wars vs. WWII propaganda film

First off, in keeping with the "no politics" rule, I want to say that this is for a Later Western Civilization class and nothing more. I've heard that the awards ceremony form the end of ANH mirrors the German propaganda film "Triumph of the Wills". I'm been looking online for video or picture comparisons but can't seem to find any. If someone can help point me in the right direction or provide a link I would be greatly appreciative. My instructor had never heard of this parellel and seemed interested.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Re: Star Wars vs. WWII propaganda film

Best I could find for you.......

Click the
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    Best I could find for you.......

Click the
    Thanks KH. What I'm really looking for is side-by-side comparisons. There are supposedly several shots that are done exactly the same. I've found only one set of shots and they're less than convincing.

SVSU has a copy of "Triumph of the Will" on DVD, but I don't know if it can be checked out.
    Also, in the Magic of Myth book, they show many of the WWII and Star Wars comparisons. Doesn't look like there's any "Triump of the Will" in it, but it's a start.

I know I have the comparison pics somewhere. I'll keep lookin'.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

"Triumph of the Wills", wasn't that one of the original names Lucas came up for Star Wars?

I believe Triumph of the Will was recently released on a new DVD, so you probably would have better luck tracking down that DVD and comparing it yourself. I hadn't heard this statement about the ANH ending ceremony, but I believe the overall look of it came directly from Ralph McQuarrie's artwork based on general concepts from Lucas. If you mean photographically, specific angles and shots, that'd probably be Gilbert Taylor or perhaps Lucas.

On a forums-related issue, politics can be discussed when germane to discussion of Star Wars.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks

On a forums-related issue, politics can be discussed when germane to discussion of Star Wars.
    Just trying to cover my butt for when the inevitable "What are you looking for Nazi stuff for?" question came up.

Here's the thing: We will be watching "Triumph of the Wills" on Monday and what I was looking for were several references to put on to a disk for the instructor. I was REALLY hoping to find a video comparison, but obviously the correlation isn't strong enough or nobody has done it yet. I thought us Star Wars geeks were supposed to have huge amounts of time on our hands to do such things!!

I think that's because "Triumph of the Will" is a little more rare than "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad". I just checked IMDB and though they're a little flakey about such things, they DO list TotW as a movie Star Wars referenced, so I suggest you bone up on the scene in ANH just before seeing TotW.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

You're an infinite source of wisdom, JT. How will any of us ever repay you?
    Last edited by CaptainSolo1138; 04-15-2004 at 11:09 PM.

I saw "Triumph of the Will" back in freshman year of college in late '98. DOn't remember every scene and detail about the movie but the only things I remember are the opening scenes in where a plane is flown through the clouds, and my memory may be fuzzy, but I think it contains the nazi hierarchy who are about to speak at some auditiorium filled with Germans. The plane lands and one by one the speakers make their speeches about their outlook on things, their general direction and goals.

I don't recall any specific scenes that mirrored the medal scene at the end of ANH, but there may of well been. I think it's an unfounded rumor though. The movie was directed by a woman, Leni Riefenstal, who just passed away a year or two ago.

Let us know what you see on Monday.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

I know you've already found this CaptianSolo, but it's mainly for the others to see.
    http://www.jitterbug.com/origins/pix/triumph.jpg

For those interested, there are more on Star Wars inspirations here:
    http://www.jitterbug.com/origins/index.html

I thought the Star Wars Insider mentioned this "Triumph of the Wills" connection a while back, but I can't find it.
    At least I think it was the Insider...
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!