Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Movie Rentals: To Rent or Not to Rent?

I've started renting movies now as I almost always never make it to the theater and it's a lot cheaper to rent anyway. I've been sticking to the recent release section at the local rental establishment and have found some good and some bad. All I know about movies is what I occasionally read or hear from family and friends but that isn't much which has led to me renting some real duds.

I know there are reviews out there but I'm hoping to get a simple YES or NO for movies that others have rented to help me make my choices.

If you rent it, rate it! Give it a YES or NO.

Ocean's 11: YES

Itailian Job: NO

Pirates of the Carribean: YES

School of Rock: YES

Lost in Translation: NO
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Re: Movie Rentals: To Rent or Not to Rent?

I usually get them on PPV on Dish Network. I am way too forgetful and usually end up spending more on Late Charges.

I havent really watched anything recently as nothing has caught my eye though.

I did see from your list, Oceans 11 and POTC. I have no interest in the others except maybe Lost in Translation, as I love Bill Murray. I think he is one of the best actors out there.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

The only recent renting I've done is

About Scmidt and I give that a YES but don't expect any action, it's just about the "human element"
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

I rarely see movies at their release anymore, I have averaged about three a year the past couple of years. I find renting a perfect option or pay-per-view for those who have the option at home.

Ocean's 11: YES. A Star-studded cast. Even saw most of the original, and it was cool to see the rat pack in action.

Pirates of Caribbean: YES. Worth seeing just for Johnny Depp's performance as Captain Jack Sparrow.

Lost In Translation: YES. If you are an action movie type of person, then NO. It is a bit artsy and does have his lulls, but it paints a beautiful picture.

I haven't seen the other movies so no comment on them.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Big Trouble - YES! Then you'll want to go buy it. This movie is funny, clever, beautifully directed, and incredibly paced... it's tragic that it got so badly lost.

Pluto Nash - Yes (I liked it, expected to hate it)

League of Extrordinary Gentlemen - NO! (turned it off halfway through)
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Hmm, well, being the ever progressive individual that I am, I choose a third route for video rentals, Netflix. No late fees and they have a larger selection of videos on DVD...I challenge anyone here to find the Original Star Trek series or X-Files on DVD for rent at the local video store. LOL

Anyway, I am a big time renter/buyer and seldom make it to the movies to see films any more. The big exception being Star Wars, which I always see at the theaters twice.

Anyway, here we go:

Ocean's 11 - Yes

The Italian Job - Yes

Pirates of the Carribean - Yes

School of Rock - Yes

Something's Gotta Give - Yes

Gothika - Yes

Vampire Effect - Yes

Matrix Revolutions - Yes

What can I say, I am easy to please. However, my recommendation for purchases is very different. The only film from this list I recommend purchasing is Pirates of the Carribean.
    May the force be with you.

Rented School of Rock last night, that's going on my NO list for sure. I was forced to sit all the way through it too even though the whole group found it fairly unwatchable.

BTW, we've been renting from Blockbuster more lately and have noticed that a lot of the DVDs are scratched now - and it's 10 times worse for kids films! What the hell? And their policy dealing with it pretty much sucks, they said "well, YOU can fill it in if you have a fill kit", like I want to waste my money on a disc I'm not even keeping when I'm paying them to rent it; or worse, they'll come back with "well, we've had no reports of a problem before this", as if we're making it up and that 3 inch gash across the surface is just a trick of the light. Hell, when I was working at the video store 10 years ago, we either tossed bad tapes in the trash or ran repairs on 'em if possible.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

JT, you're right about the poor disc quality out there. I still rent from Movie Gallery of Blockbuster from time to time and it is a problem. I have had to clean a few DVDs, but never found one in need of a fill!!!

Anyway, a few more for review:

Kill Bill - Yes

Rundown - Yes

Though I really recommend buying Kill Bill!

May the force be with you.

Ugh, I have to clean nearly EVERY disc I get from Blockbuster. I sorta give that one to them though, VHS tapes can get dirty too and that is something we generally didn't consider at the video store back in my day. But we had a splicing machine for fixing short damages in the tapes, they spent some money on this thing just so the customer would be able to enjoy their rentals properly. And now I have the useless knowledge of how to splice VHS using the auto-splicer. That can go alongside my shelf of useless knowledge next to the VHS repair classes and all that Star Trek knowledge.

28 Days Later: My God...SUPER-CAPITAL "N" NO. What an unwiped arse of a movie.

Matrix: Revolutions: Meh, I'll give it a "Ye~no". If you saw the first two, you have to see it anyway, just get it over with.

Cold Creek Manor: Zzzzzzzzzzz, huh? Oh..sorry.....NO.

Identity: Hmmm, Ye~no. Entertaining. Hadn't seen John Cusack in awhile.

Runaway Jury: Hmmm, Ye~no. Entertaining. Hadn't seen John Cusack in awhile.

Out Of Time: Hmmm, Ye~no. Entertaining. Hadn't seen Denzel Washington in awhile.

Matchstick Men: Not bad. Worth 4 bucks. Cage does a good job.

That's it for now.